Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

We need to win this game.  We control our fate if we win the last two games.

The heat would much rather face the Bobcats than us in the first round.  Chalmers and a run-down Wade are a poor matchup for Wall and Beal.

If they had the choice, they probably choose Charlotte.  But they aren't really worried about anyone in the East.  Maybe Chicago.  But the Heat are solid favorites in any possible series.

I'll echo Steve, we NEED to win this game. I don't care who the Heat would rather play but if the wizards want to avoid figuratively being fed to lions before a national audience (and massive media coverage) they will beat the heat right now.

• Like 1

Didn't we make the playoffs in the 90s with Chris Webber? If so, who was our opponent? Forgive me, I didn't start following the Wizards until 2001.

We lost in the first round to Jordan's Bulls. Strickland, Cheaney, Howard, Webber, Muresan.

Had a solid team overall.

EDIT: Apologies, They got swept by the Bulls in the first round. I was probably thinking a bit before Webber and Juwan. Rod Strickland was the PG I was thinking of though. They had a good team that year as far as talent.

1997-1998.

Yup, it was the Bulls, hence why I said fans who have been around 10-15 years longer don't know anything different than Chicago or Lebron in the playoffs.

Just a Sidenote, even though Jordan and Co. swept us in '98, every game was actually fairly close. We showed up and represented well. So well that after the series, Jordan called us the team of the future. Fast forward a bit and Juwan and CWebb throw a house party, some chick gets raped, Abe and Co. decide that Juwan and CWebb need to be split up, they chose wrongly and keep Juwan over CWebb and then get **** for Webber (an aging Mitch Richmond and Otis Thorpe :doh:), fast forward a little more and Juwan skips town and signs with Miami on a massive contract (the Heat doing their best to save us from ourselves), Stern and Co. decide the contract is no good, essentially rewarding us with a massive contract for Juwan Howard and we proceed to suck for another decade. Think we had Rasheed Wallace, Chris Webber, Ben Wallace and Juwan Howard, and Howard is the one we decide to keep and build around. Almost makes me want to cry.

It's also why, even though I whole-heartedly agree that Ernie's time has BEEN up and he needs to go, I'll never hate him as much as others do. He has failed but his failures don't put me on the brink of tears.

Also, for those who missed it and are too young to remember, Georghe Mursean could ****ing play. He was a legit starting center in the league and one of the very few who could stand up to and hold his own against Prime Shaq.

Oh yeah and to this day, Rod Strickland remains one of my favorite Bullets/Wizards of all time. He was the absolute epitome of a true/pure PG. And I loved Robert Pack too. Damn shame he could never stay healthy.

Edit: all of this is off the top of my head. I can barely remember what I ate for dinner yesterday so I apologize if I'm misremembering something here. I'm pretty sure I got it all right though.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.
  • Like 3

I don't think Muresean was on that same team when they made the playoofs. But I do recall it was a great run and I was excited for Bullets fans. I think the reason the let Webber go was his arrest on his way to practice (weed). Although I saw Juwan the night before he got arrested for DUI and he was drinking virgin pina coladas. Juwan did have a great season when they gave him that contract. It was kind of like NFL players on a contract year and then they disappear. He didn't have the same team to work with though. Personally, I never thought Juwan was anything special even back to his Michigan days.

Strickland was a beast. I really believe that he is top ten easily of all time PGs...maybe even top 5. I was jealous of the Bullets having him. Pack was good but his height hurt him as much as his injuries.