Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Terrible game last night but I wont overreact. Everyone gets blown out. I however want nothing to do with the bulls in the first round. Huge game Wednesday if we win that then hopefully we'll get Toronto in the first round with Nene back and take our chances.

I havent posted much lately, been far too busy with work stuff. And ill be gone for the rest of this month hiking through the himalayas. But ive been watching, and while i want to be happy that we are a playoff team, its such an obvious case of fools gold. I dont even know if its' fools gold when everyone knows that we barely have any set offense to speak of, and are pinning our hopes on an oft-inured pf coming off a knee injury. That last game was absolutely pathetic. There are so many bad things to talk about, and i dont know which one is the most important. I guess since our stars are still extremely young, that still rests of Wittman. This dude is terrified of coaching. He lacks any ability to read the flow of the game. And he lacks any ability to deal with adversity ( tough defense). When you are down 20+ and Wall is jacking off balance 3's 5 seconds into the shot clock, and you dont call a time out, then you are terrified of coaching. Bottom line.

All of the teams in the East are playing hungry and have a reliable set offense for the most part, except for us. Worst of all, it seems like Wittman will be retained for the  "success" of this season... sad.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say the Bulls have a reliable half court offense either. They've been scoring fairly well the past five games or so, but that doesn't trump an entire season of pretty dreadful offense. I think they'll struggle to score in the postseason too.

They beat us on pick and roll and nothing else last night. Shows how bad Randy is because we couldn't do a damn thing. There was no coaching adjustment. We kept going under the screen which left wide open three point shooters.

This is a 50 win team with another coach.

• Like 1

I'm starting to like the look of the 7 seed.  Pacers are a mess right now.

Yea but im sure they will kick butt in the playoffs. If I remember correctly the Heat had bad stretches at the end of the regular seasons and then when the playoffs came around it was game over.

Or I want to say last year the Pacers beat up on the heat pretty good but then Lebron showed up in the East finals.

Either way I don't think Indiana plays poorly for much longer. I want the Nets.

Yea but im sure they will kick butt in the playoffs. If I remember correctly the Heat had bad stretches at the end of the regular seasons and then when the playoffs came around it was game over.

I don't know man. I'm with mboyd784. I've liked the Pacers/7 seed for a couple of weeks now. That Evan Turner deal really did a number on them. And **** it, go big or go home. Would love the press we'd get if we knocked them out

• Like 1

They beat us on pick and roll and nothing else last night. Shows how bad Randy is because we couldn't do a damn thing. There was no coaching adjustment. We kept going under the screen which left wide open three point shooters.

This is a 50 win team with another coach.

Wittman is just like  Eddie Jordan.  Maybe not that underachieving though.  Jordan has 3 All Stars, including a top 15 player in the NBA (top 7 at one point) in Arenas and couldn't muster more than 45 wins.  This team needs a real coach and GM (a common trend with Verizon Center teams).

The 4th game vs Toronto was the formula for us beating them: go small. With Gooden and Harrington having larger roles now than they did even then (was Harrington even back in the lineup yet?), we are better equipped now. Course, it was out of necessity at the time. Sad to say that Wittman probably hasn't learned anything from that game.

(was Harrington even back in the lineup yet?),

IIRC it was one of Harrington's first games back and the most burn he had gotten (triple overtime, dur). His vertical was still about 8 inches, still didn't have his legs back. I don't believe Gooden was here yet but I might be wrong

Click on the link to read the rest.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/04/08/leonsis-wont-rest-until-wizards-honest-competitors-for-a-ring/

Leonsis won’t rest until Wizards ‘honest competitors for a ring’

“I don’t think we’ll rest until we can be honest competitors for a ring,” Leonsis told Casey Phillips. “I think winning a championship is why we’re doing this. But you can’t win a championship unless you qualify for the playoffs, and that’s how I’ve always looked at it: That that’s the first step.

And for a rebuilding team, you really saw that [Monday]. We took our team photo. And as I was walking up, I looked at the team, and I compared it in my mind to the first year we owned the team and the team photo. And the only people who were here when we took the first team photo were John Wall, Trevor Booker and Kevin Seraphin. They’re our longest-tenured players.

“And to have three players on their rookie contracts starting — which we’ve been with Booker and Wall and Beal — we promised we would build around the draft and around young players. We said we would retain our young players, and obviously last offseason we were able to do that with John Wall signing a five-year extension. And then we said we would make good trades and bring in savvy vets. And I think you’re seeing that now.

You look at the team photo, and there’s this great mix of young players and players who have been through the wars.

“But we can’t fool ourselves,” Leonsis concluded. “Our fans want to see us continue to improve and to be a team that’s talked about as being a championship contender. And I believe we have the resources and the wherewithal to build that for our great fanbase.”

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Can't disagree w/ what Ted said. I love the direction that this team is heading.  Took a while, but we're definitely trending upwards.  Going to be interesting to see what moves are made in the offseason to make this team closer to a 50 win squad. 

It will be very easy to see how serious he is about "honestly competing for a ring".

If Wittman is brought back, Ted is full of ****. It is really that simple.

Edited by StillUnknown

It will be very easy to see how serious he is about "honestly competing for a ring".

If Wittman is brought back, Ted is full of ****. It is really that simple.

Wittman is not the focus, Grunfeld is. A good GM is going to either immediately fire Wittman or wish he had. Edited by Destino
  • Like 1

Ted damaged his credibility when he chose to keep going with a HC and GM that nobody in the fan base believes in.  He'll damage it even more when he extends them this summer.  Priming the fan base for that decision isn't going to soften the reaction when it happens.

Ted put himself in a crappy position when he extended Grunfeld and Wittman two summers ago.  If he didn't believe in them any more than that, he never should have given them the job.  But because they've met hit minimum expectations, he's in a position where he has to keep them in place just to maintain the fragile little bit of continuity and stability we've actually built the past two seasons.  And in so doing, he'll keep the glass ceiling on the team in place.

The only way for Grunfeld's regime to win back fan support is for him to win a title.  Or at least come legitimately close.  And if he did that, it'd be against all fan expectation.  This is not a good situation for Ted.

The fan base is not going to tolerate another rebuild either.  I'm not even sure it's possible for us to hire entirely new leadership and rebuild WITH John Wall in the picture.  That would be the #1 way to turn Wall against us--plunging him back into 50 losses a year.  We'd have to deal him for assets.

Let's say this team somehow makes it to the ECF....as far as off season FO changes, what happens...if anything? 

I think a round 1 win saves Wittman....not sure about EG.

Winning 2 series....well, get ready for both guys to be back in the fold, IMO.