Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

How detestable is Miami? They've won back to back championships and they have to pump in crowd noise.

I was thinking the same thing. The NBA has this whole idea that they need about 6 legit teams every year. But for whatever reason they picked Miami as one of them. People rip on Washington fans because we're such a big transplant community. Miami isn't as big and those who move there are usually in bed by 7. But still. Think they pump in music in NY, LA, Chicago, Boston?

If Jahidi White was dark days, what were Kevin Duckworth and Ike Austin?

Except for a couple seasons here and there of an aging Moses Malone, Jeff Ruland, or CWebb and Juwan Howard, or the amusing sideshows of Gheorghe Muresan and Manute Bol, I feel like pretty much any point since the 80's began can be the dark days.

As someone else put it, we've largely been an uninterrupted joke since the Shah of Iran was still in power. When we've actually had a good big man, he's lasted like three years, tops.

Miami sports are a joke.  Fair weather fans/NY transplants.

Back when Miami football was king, you'd see crowd shots during games and about 30% of the stadium would be empty.

I was thinking the same thing. The NBA has this whole idea that they need about 6 legit teams every year. But for whatever reason they picked Miami as one of them. People rip on Washington fans because we're such a big transplant community. Miami isn't as big and those who move there are usually in bed by 7. But still. Think they pump in music in NY, LA, Chicago, Boston?

I know what you mean. Miami doesn't deserve their team. I'm no fan of the Knicks, but LeBron and Bosh and Wade should have joined up in New York. Or anywhere else.

First off how about my man The Polish Hammer?  He put up a 14 – 18 - 4 last night.  I swear he is becoming my favorite Wizard.

Ok - we rely WAY too much on outside shooting, especially lately.  Harrington seems to be the only one who fakes the shot and goes to the hoop with any consistency. 

Andre Miller has our second unit ballin’.  I can’t believe I’m about to say this but good trade Ernie.  (He was making up for the **** up of drafting Veseley and signing Maynor though.) 

I’m not gonna boo hoo losing to Miami in Miami after winning our last 5 road games in a row.  You knew after losing 3 in a row the Heat were going to actually give a **** last night.  

its not an "idea" its the fact that franchise changing superstars are rare. Those players want to live in nice cities, and Miami is one of the most attractive with the European scene, nice weather, and no state personal income taxes.

Miami is a horrible sports town, but players will always want to play there if they can.

• Like 1

No, how about if owners gets nailed for collusion if they agree to pay less for players...why isn't it the same if players agree to take less to play together and make their path easier? I thought their PA wouldn't be cool with what they'd done. If that's what the NBA wants. Then eliminate all but 12 teams.

its not an "idea" its the fact that franchise changing superstars are rare. Those players want to live in nice cities, and Miami is one of the most attractive with the European scene, nice weather, and no state personal income taxes.

Miami is a horrible sports town, but players will always want to play there if they can.

I think it has more to do with Pat Riley than Miami. What other Miami sports franchises are enjoying a flood if stars wishing to call Miami home?

Miami sucks as a sports city...but Joe Wolf is right, there are PLENTY of redeeming qualities of living there. Outside of playing ball, I'd guarantee any pro athlete is living it up in Miami.

Which is fine but I don't believe in cities attracting athletes in the NBA. At least not nearly to the extent at which most seem to believe. Good front offices build good teams and attract good players.

Edited by Destino

No, how about if owners gets nailed for collusion if they agree to pay less for players...why isn't it the same if players agree to take less to play together and make their path easier? I thought their PA wouldn't be cool with what they'd done. If that's what the NBA wants. Then eliminate all but 12 teams.

you should read up on what collusion means. What Bron, Wade, and Bosh did is not collusion.

Not close either, lol.

I think it has more to do with Pat Riley than Miami. What other Miami sports franchises are enjoying a flood if stars wishing to call Miami home?

Players flocked to the Marlins in the mid 90s when Heizinga was selling dreams to that fanbase, but then realized he would have to pay them and Miami fans suck, lol.

THe NFL and NBA are set up entirely different, which is why the Dolphins cant pull it off. If the NFL had a soft cap, Miami would be a premium destination.

I dont know much about the NHL, but the Panthers suck as a franchise too.

A lot of it down to Riley, no doubt, but playing and living in Miami is something a lot of players would do. Especially if the Heat are a decent organization. Same with the Lakers and Knicks.

A lot of athletes have offseason homes in Miami.

Edited by JoeWolf990

Pretty much every other NBA star plays in a way better basketball city with way better fans than the Miami guys. The only reason the Big 3 formed in Miami is because they wanted to play together and win championships. Miami was the best place for that to happen because they had the most cap space and they already had Wade so they didn't have to do a third S&T.

so do tax breaks.

California's state taxes are some of the highest in the country yet they actually do pull in stars.

The taxes thing gets overblown. Players spend so much of their time playing in different states that it starts to even out. Their game checks are taxed by whatever state they're in at the time. And players can live wherever they want in the offseason. During the season they're traveling constantly.

When you're a star like LeBron/Bosh/Wade that every team would sign if they could, it's all about finding the place that gives you the best chance to win. That's the reason they ended up in Miami. But I bet anything their embarrassed by those lame ass crowds too, and that they get jealous when they play in the really fun arenas.

California's state taxes are some of the highest in the country yet they actually do pull in stars.

The taxes thing gets overblown. Players spend so much of their time playing in different states that it starts to even out. Their game checks are taxed by whatever state they're in at the time. And players can live wherever they want in the offseason. During the season they're traveling constantly.

When you're a star like LeBron/Bosh/Wade that every team would sign if they could, it's all about finding the place that gives you the best chance to win. That's the reason they ended up in Miami. But I bet anything their embarrassed by those lame ass crowds too, and that they get jealous when they play in the really fun arenas.

Taxes aren't overblown when you have athletes who choose to make their primary residence in states like FL/TX.  There is a reason for it. 

For example:

Had Howard decided to remain with the Lakers, he could have received a max contract of $119 million over five years. Houston, on the other hand, can only offer a max contract of $88 million over four years under the new rules of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. While the difference in pay is one year and $31 million, Howard will actually earn $2.1 million more after taxes by signing with Houston:

Team

Total

Tax Burden

Total

Tax Liability

Annual

After-Tax Earnings

Houston Rockets

43.4%

$9.6 million

$12.4 million

Los Angeles Lakers

56.7%

$13.5 million

$10.3 million

For illustrative purposes, the total tax burden is comprised of the top marginal federal income tax rate of 39.6 percent plus the 3.8 percent Medicare surtax plus the top marginal income tax rate of California (13.3%) and Texas (0%). Additionally, figures based on estimated annual pay from Lakers ($23.8 million per year) and Rockets ($22 million per year).

Additionally, if Howard were to remain in Los Angeles, he would have to hand over his paycheck for five and a half home games to the state of California to cover his state tax liability. By signing with the Rockets, Howard does not have to worry about the state committing a flagrant foul against his earnings.

Link

Boston has been pumping in crowd noise for quite a while now. Not sure why they do it, but it's sure embarrassing. Edited by skinswillwin06

you should read up on what collusion means. What Bron, Wade, and Bosh did is not collusion.

Not close either, lol.

Of course nothing can be proven. But they made it clear at the Olympics they were talking and hinted at something. Its hard to imagine how quickly everything lined up for all them with their contracts less than what they'd each get splitting between different teams. So, do I think they had an agreement in secret before they were available free agents with Miami? On some level, yes. Cap was being created. The dog and pony show for the decision was going on. That is collusion by definition. 

lol

No ****.  The dude grabbed 18 boards against the champs last night and hardly a mention here.  He is spoiling us already.   :)

Extending Gortat is a no brainer. Anyone here think it'd be better to let him walk?

Ariza is the tricky one. If he's looking at MLE money from most good teams this summer, then we can do something. If he's getting way more, then we can't afford him. And if we sign him, no matter what, we have to trade Webster to clear up the SF logjam.

• Like 1

Seraphin upgraded to "probable" status I read.

Please please please. I know we're winning games as is but I feel like size will be key down the stretch and Gortat can only get a meager 85% of the rebounds. 

;)