Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Gil is a lot better than 20 year old Beal, but Beal is a very long way away from being as good as he's going to get.  When Beal is 25 or 26, he's going to be better than Gil was.  Potential to average mid 20s scoring but within the scheme of a decent offense that doesn't have guys gunning and playing on an island like Eddie Jordan's.  Beal will shoot and score like Gil did without dominating the ball like Gil did.  And Beal has the potential to be a world's better defender than Gil was.  Gil didn't even compete on that side of the ball.  He was an atrocious defender his entire career.  I'll take 25 year old Beal over 25 year old Gil.  Especially to play with Wall.

When Gilbert was on he was unconscious but yes- Beal will be a more complete player. He and Wall both seem to have their heads on straight. I also don't see Bradley Beal as the pistol-brandishing type.

Edited by Chachie

My disdain for Arenas is well known and, as it turned out, quite prescient. That said, Beal has a ways to go before he's on the level of 2004-2006 Hibachi.  I think he can get close, though.

With all due respect to Beal, he'll never get  close to the level of 2004-2006 Hibachi.

Love Bradley but he doesn't have Gil's lightning quick first step and ability to stop on a dime.

And he'll never have it.

But with that being said, I still expect him to develop into one of the premier SGs in the league.

With all due respect to Beal, he'll never get  close to the level of 2004-2006 Hibachi.

Love Bradley but he doesn't have Gil's lightning quick first step and ability to stop on a dime.

And he'll never have it.

But with that being said, I still expect him to develop into one of the premier SGs in the league.

No he doesn't have that.  But he's bigger and stronger than Arenas was and a better pure shooter and better BB IQ.  Plus I think Bradley is going to end up a plus defender.  Gil flat out dogged it on D.  He was one of the worst defensive players in the league.

I bet Beal does more to contribute to Ws and Ls in a few years than Gil did at the same age.  The Wizards were a .500 team or a little better and an early playoff out with Gil.  Then they won 43 games and lost in the first round the year without him.

You mean the second round, first round, first round playoff outs with Arenas?  That's what says you could build a championship contender around Arenas to you?

You do know the history of the Wizards/Bullets right?  Not sure of your age, but Arenas did more for this franchise than anyone I can remember since the championship.

Disagree?

He made the team watchable.

Edited by chipwhich
  • Like 1

No he doesn't have that.  But he's bigger and stronger than Arenas was and a better pure shooter and better BB IQ.  Plus I think Bradley is going to end up a plus defender.  Gil flat out dogged it on D.  He was one of the worst defensive players in the league.

I bet Beal does more to contribute to Ws and Ls in a few years than Gil did at the same age.  The Wizards were a .500 team or a little better and an early playoff out with Gil.  Then they won 43 games and lost in the first round the year without him.

Nah, Gilbert was bigger than Beal. He has Beal by about 7 or 8 lbs back in his prime. And while Gil isnt the shooter that Beal is, Gil is a much better finisher around the basket. Gil was more explosive than Beal too. He probably had the fastest first step in the NBA during those 3 seasons. And there isnt enough evidence to say Beal has a higher BBIQ than Wall. There really isnt much of anything to say that. (edit: Gil had way better handles too. Its one thing I want Wall to improve on, Gil was great at splitting doubles off the dribble)

I am not saying Beal cannot be as good as Gil was, but Gil was an electrifying and verging on Superstar status before Gerald Wallace was uncontrollably athletic and ran into Gil's knee.

Kyrie kinda rained on Wall's big weekend by winning MVP

meh, Wall getting his credit for sparking the run. He good. Edited by JoeWolf990
  • Like 1

Nah, Gilbert was bigger than Beal. He has Beal by about 7 or 8 lbs back in his prime. And while Gil isnt the shooter that Beal is, Gil is a much better finisher around the basket. Gil was more explosive than Beal too. He probably had the fastest first step in the NBA during those 3 seasons. And there isnt enough evidence to say Beal has a higher BBIQ than Wall. There really isnt much of anything to say that. (edit: Gil had way better handles too. Its one thing I want Wall to improve on, Gil was great at splitting doubles off the dribble)

I am not saying Beal cannot be as good as Gil was, but Gil was an electrifying and verging on Superstar status before Gerald Wallace was uncontrollably athletic and ran into Gil's knee.

Gil was an electrifying scorer. Better than Harden at Harden's own game, and he did it without getting the reputation of flopper.

I always thought Gil was what you'd have seen from AI if he'd been several inches taller. Although Gil wasn't quite the scorer AI was.

But there were some pretty big negatives to building around a player like Gil. I think Wizards fans whitewash these negatives now, and only focus on the crazy moments he gave us. But what about the gunning offense? Living and dying on perimeter scores (it's why we were .500)? Freezing teammates out of the offense because he's taking early clock pull ups so often? Not really getting everyone else involved, you've just got three All Stars playing ISO ball and taking turns getting their own. And especially, just the total lack of committment to defense.

It's hard to win when your leader and franchise player is a big negative on defense. It sets the tone for everyone else when they're terrible in one half of the game. Look at Minny with Kevin Love and Cleveland with Kyrie. Look at Houston last year before they got Dwight. Or Golden State the past couple seasons before they got Bogut healthy and Iggy signed in FA.

Those were Gil's on court flaws and I think people are glossing over them now. Even before the knee injury, that team was never going to legitimately contend. And I didn't even mention all the off court stuff. Suffice to say I would MUCH rather have Wall or Beal leading my locker room than Gil. I don't think anyone else has destroyed a locker room like Gil did. It's taken us five years and counting to recover from that.

• Like 2

The locker room is as much Ernie's fault as Arenas. No one could tell him anything and this team was begging players to love us. This comes from Ernie's disbelief that DC is a worthy town or that the Wizards are a worthy team.

I'll stand by what I said before. If rather have Wall at PG but I'd replace Beal with Gil at SG. Beal has less personality issues but he's not a good defender and he's not as good of a scorer as Gil was.

Gil never had a pair of bigs as good on both ends of the floor as Nene and Gortat. Jamison didn't care to defend anyone his entire career and the centers we had during Arenas time wasn't good. We also didn't have coaches that seemed to care too much about defense either. I think Gil at SG with the rest of this team as it is now would have been a big improvement.

Edited by Destino

Kyrie kinda rained on Wall's big weekend by winning MVP

I get the sick feeling this will be the status quo throughout their careers. If I have to watch us fall short to Cleveland every season again, it will kill me. (See "LeBron James career playoff highlights.")

Yeah Wall played some D. So did LeBron. I felt like the Indy guys were kind of quiet. I think Vogel held them out, I was surprised that he played Noah as the sixth man over Hibbert. My guess is that Hibbert could care less about actually playing in the game itself, it's not at all his type of game.

I wish Wall had gotten more minutes. Especially with a group that could run or shoot and not Noah/Millsap/Johnson/DeRozan.

Wall works with more compatibility and athleticism than that in the Wizards starting lineup...

Noah is nice though, I wish we had him.

Gil was an electrifying scorer. Better than Harden at Harden's own game, and he did it without getting the reputation of flopper.

I always thought Gil was what you'd have seen from AI if he'd been several inches taller. Although Gil wasn't quite the scorer AI was.

But there were some pretty big negatives to building around a player like Gil. I think Wizards fans whitewash these negatives now, and only focus on the crazy moments he gave us. But what about the gunning offense? Living and dying on perimeter scores (it's why we were .500)? Freezing teammates out of the offense because he's taking early clock pull ups so often? Not really getting everyone else involved, you've just got three All Stars playing ISO ball and taking turns getting their own. And especially, just the total lack of committment to defense.

It's hard to win when your leader and franchise player is a big negative on defense. It sets the tone for everyone else when they're terrible in one half of the game. Look at Minny with Kevin Love and Cleveland with Kyrie. Look at Houston last year before they got Dwight. Or Golden State the past couple seasons before they got Bogut healthy and Iggy signed in FA.

Those were Gil's on court flaws and I think people are glossing over them now. Even before the knee injury, that team was never going to legitimately contend. And I didn't even mention all the off court stuff. Suffice to say I would MUCH rather have Wall or Beal leading my locker room than Gil. I don't think anyone else has destroyed a locker room like Gil did. It's taken us five years and counting to recover from that.

I don't think the Wizards should have built around Gil that way either, but thats on Ernie not Gil. Conversely, I am not sure you can build a title contender around Beal either.

The point I am getting at is you are downplaying how great of a player Beal was over the last few years. Thats all.

In all fairness, until the gun incident, I think most people would have thought of Gilbert Arenas as a high-character guy.  It wasn't until then that we learned about all of the juvenile hi-jinks that went on behind the scenes.  Hindsight is 20/20, but I'm with SM...as of NOW, I would want a locker room of guys like Wall/Beal over Gil.  Both guys seem to take a little more professional route to the way they go about their business.  I just hope our GM has the foresight to make something happen to bolser this roster.  Something else needs to be done to get this team over the hump.  WHat it is, I just don't know. 

• Like 1