Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Again...you miss the point. There is NO comparison between Shammgod/Brooks because they play two different positions, play for different coaches, play in different systems, and play in a different era. PC's player-to-pro history is IRRELEVANT. Brooks right now is arguably the most dominant player in the best conference in college hoops. He'll get consideration for BE POY....I guess I shouldn't get caught up in the hype though. LOL....if you actually watch the games like you "claim" you'd appreciate what he's been doing not only in conference play, but overall. The kid is legit and will be a 1st round pick come June.

I also wouldn't say he's the most dominant player in the BE. Sure he'll get consideration but only b/c he's putting up big numbers on a sub par team. If you want a stat stuffer thats fine. Put him on a good team and he'll fade into obscurity. How many games have you seen him play in? What makes him good? You think he's better than Kemba Walker? Austin Freeman? Corey Fisher? Gibbs or Wanamaker? I don't. He's having a great year this year, but his first 3 years left a lot to be desired so I'm not sold on him.

Like Walker, Freeman, etc...Brooks has improved in EACH of his seasons at PC. What makes him good? How about if you shut down Brooks, PC has no chance? PC doesn't have NEARLY the balance or talent when comparing the likes of the other teams in the BE like G'Town, UConn, Pitt, etc....shutting down Brooks is easier said than done. I don't see how you can't be sold on a kid who has improved in each of his seasons. FWIW, he's much better than Gibbs and ESPECIALLY, Wanamaker....I've seen a fair share of PC games on TV...but seeing Brooks in person is a different story. He did what he wanted to Wright, Freeman, etc...didn't matter who was defending him, he got his buckets both inside/outside. As I've said MANY times before...he's legit. What he's doing goes far beyond putting up #'s on a sub-par team. He IS the team.

I agree that he's the whole team. I still don't like him as an NBA player. He's one of 3 seniors on a roster filled almost exclusively with freshman. His numbers have gone up this year dramatically, but he's also playing 10 more minutes a game than last season not to mention he's taken 120+ more shots than their 2nd leading scorer. Since Keno Davis has taken over the team it's always been dominated by guards as far as point production goes. Until this year he was tracking almost identical numbers to those of Weyenmi Efejuku and Sharrod Curry.

Thing is...he's not taking bad shots. If it's not Brooks, who are you going to count on? I'd maybe get on the amount of shots he was taking compared to the others if his percentage was terrible. But he's shooting 50% from the floor and 35% from 3. He HAS to do it...I don't fault him one bit, especially since the other guys on the team defer to him on a consistent basis. Easiest thing to do to stop PC is shut down Brooks and let the likes of Council, Mondy, or Coleman try to get their points. Easier said than done. He's put the whole team on his back and as Brooks goes, so do the Friars. Honestly, I don't see why you're comparing the likes of Curry/Efejuku to Brooks when he's the better player. Why discredit the improvement he's made as a senior?

Thing is...he's not taking bad shots. If it's not Brooks, who are you going to count on? I'd maybe get on the amount of shots he was taking compared to the others if his percentage was terrible. But he's shooting 50% from the floor and 35% from 3. He HAS to do it...I don't fault him one bit, especially since the other guys on the team defer to him on a consistent basis. Easiest thing to do to stop PC is shut down Brooks and let the likes of Council, Mondy, or Coleman try to get their points. Easier said than done. He's put the whole team on his back and as Brooks goes, so do the Friars. Honestly, I don't see why you're comparing the likes of Curry/Efejuku to Brooks when he's the better player. Why discredit the improvement he's made as a senior?

I'm comparing him to them b/c he is a very similar player. The difference is that this year he doesn't have any other significant upperclassmen playing with him like curry and efejuku did when they were seniors. If he did, his numbers would be more grounded. This isn't a discussion about whether or not Brooks is the best player on PC or not, it's a discussion on if he's worth the Wizards taking a look at.

If we secure another 1st round pick, I don't see why not. Can't hurt to have a guy on the on the roster who can play the 2 and slide over the 1 at times. He reminds me of Nick Young to some extent. Between now and the NBA draft I want to see if his ball handling improves. The upside is CLEARLY there. If the Wizards get a mid-to-late 1st round pick, I wouldn't be mad if they drafted a guy like Brooks, Burks, or Thompson.

If we secure another 1st round pick, I don't see why not. Can't hurt to have a guy on the on the roster who can play the 2 and slide over the 1 at times. He reminds me of Nick Young to some extent. Between now and the NBA draft I want to see if his ball handling improves. The upside is CLEARLY there. If the Wizards get a mid-to-late 1st round pick, I wouldn't be mad if they drafted a guy like Brooks, Burks, or Thompson.

It's funny you compare him to Nick Young. Earlier in this thread we were talking contract extension for young. I had made a post that he's an average player putting up big numbers on a bad team b/c of the lack of other scoring options. Funny how that works out. Ha enough of PC bball though, we don't even talk about it that much up here in RI!

Your posts in this thread continue to give me a good laugh. Thanks.

Not shocked you amuse so easily.

And ftr, I don't know much about Brooks, haven't seen Brooks play, and as of now I don't care about Brooks. But to say he'll automatically bust beause 2nd round pick God Shamgod did 15 years ago is just, to be honest, retarded.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Not shocked you amuse so easily.

And ftr, I don't know much about Brooks, haven't seen Brooks play, and as of now I don't care about Brooks. But to say he'll automatically bust beause 2nd round pick God Shamgod did 15 years ago is just, to be honest, retarded.

Why do you edit almost every post you have? After 5 minutes did you change what you were thinking? My God Shamgod comment was made more tongue in cheek than anything. To think I would suggest not drafting a player strictly based on school is ridiculous. Get over yourself.

Getting a beast low-post presence is a priority.
Agreed. I just don't like Blatche for this team. He needs a fresh start and I'm not crazy about thrusting Seraphin, Booker, or Jianlian into a starting role. I really want us to come away with Sullinger this draft since we could run our offense through him. Next year's class is completely stacked with small forwards in the lottery.
Let me ask you...we've had conversations about Harrison Barnes. I wonder how much of an effect Larry Drew II had on his game? Reason I say this is he's had a bump in productivity since Marshall has been getting the minutes at PG and Drew quit. Can't wait to see how he does tonight vs. Duke. From what I've been reading, Drew was a cancer on that team. Harrison Barnes has the pedigree, so let's see how he does as we approach the home-stretch of the season going into the NCAAs. He has a real chance to shut a lot of his critics up.....
I didn't know Drew II was considered a cancer. That would explain some of UNC's transformation. I know there was some speculation about why he quit and it was pretty obvious that it was because he lost his starting job. As for whether or not Marshall's promotion has had an effect on Barnes, I think the answer is most definitely. Drew II was just not a very good offensive player and I felt like the offense was always running in fits and starts when he carried the ball. The whole team is playing better with Marshall. He just sees and paces the floor so much better than Drew II did, I understand why Roy Williams gave him the job.

I've thought most of Barnes' problems early in the year came from him playing too uptight and pressing too much. His shot was supposed to be one of his biggest strengths and it just wasn't falling early on. I think he was focusing on the hype and trying to be superman instead of keeping it simple and finding his own fit in the locker room and on the court. A lot of times, a guy like Barnes is supposed to profile as an alpha dog and that's just not his style. He's a complimentary player and selfless almost to a fault.

I don't think Barnes profiles as a #1 offensive player like Carmelo who you can run the offense through. When he first got to UNC, I think people thought he'd be a Grant Hill (Duke and Detroit years) where he could be that top offensive assassin. Instead, on offense I think he's your second best player on a contender--a Scottie Pippen. On the defensive end I think he can be your top perimeter stopper with time and he'll probably be able to defend 1-4's with some strength development.

I like the way he fits onto our roster, which already has an alpha dog 2 guard in Young and a quality facilitator in Wall. The nice thing about Barnes is that I think he has very little bust potential because of how skillful, humble, and smart he is. But I'd rather take Sullinger and trade Blatche than take Barnes.

I with we had two top five picks this year. It'd be nice to come away with both Sullinger and Barnes.

*Oh as far as Austin Rivers....dude can flat out play. He's got an ego the size of Texas and at times can have a bad attitude if things aren't going his way. He needs to be humbled a bit. I think going to Duke and playing for Coach K will be good for his game. Nothing will be given to him at that program and he'll have to earn his minutes. Kid is special....if there wasn't an age-limit in the NBA, he'd be a top-5 pick in 2011. He's that good.
I didn't know about the ego concerns. Makes sense. He plays like a ****y **** with some of the stuff he pulls off. He's an impressive player and there is already talk of him going first overall in 2012. Duke guys usually take a bit of a beating at first since they play within the team, but they haven't had a player like him in a while. Imagine if Kyrie Irving stays for next year and Rivers plays SG. They're going to be impossible to stop.

Why do you edit almost every post you have? After 5 minutes did you change what you were thinking? My God Shamgod comment was made more tongue in cheek than anything. To think I would suggest not drafting a player strictly based on school is ridiculous. Get over yourself.

Typos, grammar and sentence structure. I love to write and stuff like that bugs me. The content doesn't change.

You spent a good half dozen posts talking about how players from Providence never work out (like Shamgod) and thus Brooks won't either. I'm sure it was all just tongue in cheek though. But whatever. I legitimately don't care enough to keep this conversation going.

Anyway, if we do pick up a an extra 1st or two somewhere along the way, what do you all think about Jordan Williams later down in the first if he comes out? Maybe we get a 3 in one of the Jones' at the top and then pick up Williams and/or another big later on.

And is it just me or does Barnes look small? They have him listed at 6'8". I don't see that at all. (Or like here bdiamond, where I thought of something else and I added it through an edit rather than make a new post.)

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

That was a monster game by McGee against a very good center. Effort was excellent. This is the type of output we can expect from games if our big men give us anything inside and solid effort on defense.

On the topic of acquiring an additional first round pick next year, I wouldn't do it if the pick is outside the lottery especially in the 20-30 range. Guaranteed contract for a guy who won't get a lot of playing time. Maybe a SG/SF prospect but I'm assuming we draft a big man with our next lotto pick which gives us Lotto pick, Seraphin, Booker, McGee and most likely Blatche. Then we have Rashard Lewis who might get minutes at PF as well. I'd rather add a veteran to this group than another inconsistent rook.

Edited by No Excuses

Anyway, if we do pick up a an extra 1st or two somewhere along the way, what do you all think about Jordan Williams later down in the first if he comes out? Maybe we get a 3 in one of the Jones' at the top and then pick up Williams and/or another big later on.

I think we'd have the best draft ever if we somehow got Sullinger, picked up an extra 1 and took Jordan Williams if he comes out. Two guys that could be double/doubles every night.

I agree ACW. Blake has had a full year of exposure to NBA training and coaching. Granted he didn't play on the court but he had a huge advantage in terms of understanding the game at the professional level over the actual rookie draft class of 2010.

This particular NBA rule is complete BS.

Edited by No Excuses

I am with the folks who think Blake Griffin really isn't a rookie. He got to rehab and do team meetings for a full season. Watch the game and not have to worry about much else.

Also, here is my question.....is Nick Young becoming a long term answer for the #2 spot? Or is this just a flash in the pan thing?

I agree ACW. Blake has had a full year of exposure to NBA training and coaching. Granted he didn't play on the court but he had a huge advantage in terms of understanding the game at the professional level over the actual rookie draft class of 2010.

This particular NBA rule is complete BS.

Agreed. Plus he was a college sophomore when he came out so he's a good two seasons ahead of Wall already. Let's compare this year to Wall's third in the league and see how it stacks up.

I think it was Charles Barkley who said that even though Blake Griffin was hurt last year, he got invaluable experience watching games, practices, film sessions, etc...

SM....even though he didn't play particularly well yesterday....Harrison Barnes did do some things that impressed me. He played some tough D, scored a tough 2 inside, etc. I'm not completely sold on him (yet), but the upside is there. I saw a comparison to his Frosh year so far and Paul Pierce's at Kansas....there are some big time similarities. Like I said before...he's a guy to keep an eye on as the season winds down.

*I was VERY impressed by UNC even with the loss last night. With more experience, they don't lose that game.

I am with the folks who think Blake Griffin really isn't a rookie. He got to rehab and do team meetings for a full season. Watch the game and not have to worry about much else.

Also, here is my question.....is Nick Young becoming a long term answer for the #2 spot? Or is this just a flash in the pan thing?

To my untrained eye, he's becoming an answer.

I wouldn't give Nick Young anything more than a 3 year extension.

One thing that really irked me was in the post-game. I was reading some of Flip's comments and he didn't hold too much back in assessing Javale McGee's play. I don't have an issue with calling a player out, but if you're going to do it to him infront of the media, then you should be doing the same with some of the other guys. *cough* Blatche *cough*. I don't get the coddling of AB...at all. McGee does some really dumb things over the course of a game...however, so does Blatche. Big time double-standard IMO.

I wouldn't give Nick Young anything more than a 3 year extension.

One thing that really irked me was in the post-game. I was reading some of Flip's comments and he didn't hold too much back in assessing Javale McGee's play. I don't have an issue with calling a player out, but if you're going to do it to him infront of the media, then you should be doing the same with some of the other guys. *cough* Blatche *cough*. I don't get the coddling of AB...at all. McGee does some really dumb things over the course of a game...however, so does Blatche. Big time double-standard IMO.

I could not agree more

McGee is still getting pulled from some games immediately after he does something wrong, yet Blatch ****s up for entire stretches and remains. somethings gotta give