Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Absurd rumor.  Deng is a horrible return for #3 plus our starting center.  I'm surprised rumors of obviously unbalanced trades like this get traction.  We're not in a desperate situation.  We don't have to get rid of somebody.  We have no reason to accept such a ridiculously unfavorable trade.  This is a BS leak or silly speculation.

If Ernie makes that trade he should be hunted down by wizards fans and thrown into the Potomac.  Swapping Okafor for Deng makes the wizards immediately worse and only reduces the wizards cap number by 200k (essentially nothing).  I wouldn't make that trade if it were simply the players involved because Deng just isn't that good, he's not a great three point shooter or an efficient scorer, and the wizards have cheaper options at the 3.  Throwing in a 3rd overall pick is madness.    

• Like 1

The assets available to swap don't make sense in a WAS/CHI Deng trade.  Making an unbalanced trade with Cleveland makes far more sense to me.  They've got the cap space to totally absorb his contract and stay way under, a desperate need for a veteran, a desperate need at SF but a draft pick that's too hard to trade down and too high to take the best available SF in the class, and a ton of other draft picks and/or young players to offer Chicago in return for Deng.

Much, much more flexibility and desire to make this trade for Cleveland.

Absurd rumor.  Deng is a horrible return for #3 plus our starting center.  I'm surprised rumors of obviously unbalanced trades like this get traction.  We're not in a desperate situation.  We don't have to get rid of somebody.  We have no reason to accept such a ridiculously unfavorable trade.  This is a BS leak or silly speculation.

While I agree, I thought the same thing in 2009 . . . you can never predict what Ernie may do.

Okafor won't be dealt in any move where we lose the ability to replace him at the 5.  Even Ernie knows he's got to have some sort of credible option at the 5 or he loses his job this season.

If you deal Okafor AND the pick for a SF, we won't have a decent C any more and there would be no way we can get one.  We'd have to go bargain bin hunting in FA or try and find a project late in the draft and hope Seraphin can be a decent starter.  That just isn't going to happen.

If Ernie makes that trade he should be hunted down by wizards fans and thrown into the Potomac.  Swapping Okafor for Deng makes the wizards immediately worse and only reduces the wizards cap number by 200k (essentially nothing).  I wouldn't make that trade if it were simply the players involved because Deng just isn't that good, he's not a great three point shooter or an efficient scorer, and the wizards have cheaper options at the 3.  Throwing in a 3rd overall pick is madness.    

Yep.  It'd be worse than the 2009 trade, which was a firable offense.  We were a playoff team when healthy then, we didn't give up a starting C in the deal, and we had a lower pick than #3.  Big difference between #3 and #5 in the NBA draft.  #3 should end up yielding an All Star.

Deng is a slightly above average starting SF who wasn't particularly good this season in spite of his AS appearance.  He only got there the past two years because people feel the Bulls need more than one AS and forward was weak in the East the past two years behind LeBron and Melo.  Granger and Amare were out, and young guys like Paul George and Tobias Harris had yet to fully emerge.  Deng will probably never see another AS game.

I follow the Bulls a lot.  Deng is a very good player, elite defender and rebounder, knows his role and works his ass off in games.  That said, the guy needs to get better at 3's.  If you're a 1, 2, or 3...you have to be able to shoot from outside or be the superstar creator for your team.  Look at the Heat with Lebron and Wade.  Wade doesn't quite fit on that team.  The offense bogs down a bit with him and Lebron on the court at the same time, and it will only get worse as Wade continues to age.

Now Deng was a bit better from 3 the previous year with Rose drawing more attention, and maybe that'll happen again if he joins up with Wall.  But it's an issue.

It is REALLY difficult to be a contender when you have 2 players that can not force the defense to spread out.  If I were the Wizards I'd do the Chicago trade only if the two guys we really want at #3, are gone.

• Like 1

If that trade or a similar terrible trade happens involving the #3 pick, I won't consider myself a fan of the Wizards until EG is gone. I can take a lot of losing and some terrible draft picks, but this will be the last straw. He should have been fired last off season.

I can't even believe that trade is a rumor given how one-sided it is in favor of the Bulls. Than again, the NBA is fixed and the Bulls need to compete with the Heat next season.

Only way the Wizards even entertain that idea is if Deng agrees to an extension. Even then, idk about that deal. Who would play in the front court with Nene? We have little depth in true big man as it is. You'd have to at least throw in their 1st rounder so we could take a big man there. 

But, I say this deal is just a rumor and thats it. Nothing will come of it.

if this team can't win a championship at least having deng would allow them to run even more and allow them to score alot of points

The goal is to ultimately win a championship with pieces that may not do it now, but could do it a few years from now.  While Deng is young enough to have a large window of competitiveness, the 3rd overall pick could produce someone who can grow with the team in a better manner.

The Wizards drafted a terrific complimentary player to Wall in Bradley Beal.  Beal can work at an elite level in the offense without the ball in his hands.  That's what you want.

Honestly, Deng is so close to being worth every dollar of his contract.  He can shoot the 3 well from the left corner and decently from the right elbow.  If he can improve a bit more at the elbow and at both corners, he would really open up the offense for Beal and super-awesome-screen-shenanigans.  But he's not there yet, and there's the question of if he'll actually develop that.

As much as I like Deng, and realize all the little things he does so superbly, if someone like Otto Porter was available at #3, I'd have to go with Porter.  The potential to have someone like Porter be able to develop into a system that features a premier creator (Wall) and a premier shooter (Beal) is a very very good situation.

The Wizards drafted a terrific complimentary player to Wall in Bradley Beal. Beal can work at an elite level in the offense without the ball in his hands. That's what you want.

As much as I like Deng, and realize all the little things he does so superbly, if someone like Otto Porter was available at #3, I'd have to go with Porter. The potential to have someone like Porter be able to develop into a system that features a premier creator (Wall) and a premier shooter (Beal) is a very very good situation.

Two points:

1- I don't think there is such a thing as a guard that is elite that plays almost entirely without the ball. There are great shooters but in order for guards to be elite they have to be able to shoot and attack the rim. Beal needs to improve his handles to go from good to elite. Only bigs can reach elite status by playing without the ball if they can consistently pick n roll or establish deep post and score off a few quick moves.

2- I agree that given a choice between Porter and Deng, you go with Porter.

NBA.com analysis has us going with SG Ben McLemore....I guess they don't see Beal having a future...!

Porter at #3 is a bit high but he's a need so let's do it!  Plus he won't hold up a roster spot when Durant comes to DC in a few years to be near his favorite football team and player RG3 :)

The Wizards drafted a terrific complimentary player to Wall in Bradley Beal. Beal can work at an elite level in the offense without the ball in his hands. That's what you want.

As much as I like Deng, and realize all the little things he does so superbly, if someone like Otto Porter was available at #3, I'd have to go with Porter. The potential to have someone like Porter be able to develop into a system that features a premier creator (Wall) and a premier shooter (Beal) is a very very good situation.

Two points:

1- I don't think there is such a thing as a guard that is elite that plays almost entirely without the ball. There are great shooters but in order for guards to be elite they have to be able to shoot and attack the rim. Beal needs to improve his handles to go from good to elite. Only bigs can reach elite status by playing without the ball if they can consistently pick n roll or establish deep post and score off a few quick moves.

2- I agree that given a choice between Porter and Deng, you go with Porter.

Clarification, when I said he could work at an elite level in the offense without the ball in his hands.  I don't mean that makes him an elite player, I mean he's capable of performing that part of the offense at an elite level.  Off ball movement is crucial.  If you look at Wade and Lebron when they first teamed up, they were clueless without the ball in their hands.  Lebron eventually figured it out, but Wade's still struggling.

Man, if we were to trade our 3rd overall for freaking Deng, i might just lose it. Why trade for a guy that is marginally better than Ariza, and isnt that great at shooting? Porter is already a better prospect than him. The worst part is that there is no trade anymore that is entirely out of the question, no matter how ridiculously absurd the proposal is for us.

If they allow Grunfeld to make yet another terrible trade with a top draft choice then I'm done. You could ship the team to any other part of the country and I just wouldn't care. I sat painfully through the Cerrato years, this one I won't.

If this trade goes through, i am done with the wizards, trading ANOTHER lottery pick for some dumb role player who will never amount to anything close to the potential of a young up and coming top 3 pick.  Ernie Grunfeld is the most incompetent GM in the NBA, it is amazing that he still has a job, he is the Vinny Cerrato of basketball.  You dont trade a top 3 pick, unless its for Lebron or Durant.

You guys are starting to see what I've seen over the years.  I get ripped because I don't believe in this team, but I see alot of people in here stating they won't be a fan of the team anymore.  I may complain alot, but I've never said I would not be a fan of the team.  I know some of this is said in frustration, but when I see guys who have been diehards and positive half full guys in here complaining, you know the franchise has hit rock bottom.