Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I bet they are trying to trade for DeMarcus Cousins.

#3 plus Nene for DeMarcus Cousins & a contract to ballast the trade.  Do you do it?

I'd do it. Then Nene becomes the, "Player to trade for to straighten out our locker room," guy.

I bet they are trying to trade for DeMarcus Cousins.

#3 plus Nene for DeMarcus Cousins & a contract to ballast the trade. Do you do it?

Of course you do it. Then you find a coach to make something of Beal, Wall, and Cousins.

Oh wait we are talking about the Wizards... This isn't going to happen and Randy Wittman will probably be extended.

If #1 doesn't get traded, it's going to be a center with a leg injury.

Say Len goes 1 and Noel goes 2, how much do we consider McLemore at 3?

Supposedly he would be the BPA there.

I couldn't justify taking McLemore at #3.

Though talented he may be I'm not drafting a bench player with the third overall pick.

I need to get someone who is penciled in as a future if not immediate starter.

Though talented he may be I'm not drafting a bench player with the third overall pick.

I won't be mad if we take McClemore or even Oladipo. Even if htheycomes off the bench, they can still play a good chunk of minutes. I remember Cartier Martin and Garrett Temple getting more playing time than I care to remember, they are not above upgrades.

I think you take the BPA with an eye towards NBA value and not Wizards value.  McLemore at 3 would be hard to pass up because he's essentially a better offensive 2 guard prospect than Beal.  All of his shooting percentages were higher (ft%, fg%, and 3p%) and unlike Beal he shot the ball well off the dribble and has just as good a shooting stroke.  He's a far better athlete than Beal as well which potentially gives him a higher upside.   

Not sure if he's mentally as good a prospect as Beal,  There have been some questions about him listening to the wrong people and being out of shape resulting in his stock falling a bit.  

Other factor to consider is that he's a potential star shooting guard in a league starved for effective shooting guards.  Beal missed a lot of games in his rookie year and ended up playing less games than Nene.  The wizards have very little bench scoring and no starters that should be immediately replaced by anyone in this draft.  They could very well take McLemore and then trade either him or Beal for a player at a different position.  

I'm not saying the Wizards have to do it or even should.  I'm also not saying McLemore is an upgrade over Beal.  There is a difference between prospect potential and results.  Beal looked like a keeper in the NBA and that, for me, weighs more heavily than any scouting report.  I think that it comes down to the Wizards draft board.  If they have McLemore as a can't miss star and Porter/Bennett ranked significantly lower I think they have to take McLemore.  

I personally expect the wizards to draft Otto Porter or Alex Len.  I'd be surprised if they end up with a different player.  

Edited by Destino

Count me in on the Noel bandwagon. I've always thought that when you're at the top of the draft--top 3 or 5--you always go big (figuratively, not literally). Doesn't matter the sport. I think Noel has the most potential to be a difference maker. Is he also possibly the biggest risk among the top guys? Probably. But **** it. What do we have to lose. He busts, we suck, what else is new, life goes on. If he hits though? To the fullest of his potential? I just like him in that light moreso than with any of the others.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

I think Beal's a better player and was a better prospect than McLemore.  There is no way in hell McLemore could have gone 3 last year.  He wouldn't have gone three last year even if he was coming off a season like the one he had this year.

Beal's status was never about the numbers.  Beal was toolsy and athletic and had ideal intangibles and that's what defined him as a prospect.

McLemore's shooting splits partly define him. the other part is his athleticism.  He's faster and a more explosive leaper than Beal.  Beal has a better body, carries almost 20 pounds more and is much more powerful, and has better CoD skills.

Beal is also a better ball handler than McLemore, who really showed some struggles doing anything other than straight line drives from the perimeter on defenders closing out.  Beal picks his way around the court effectively and is a very smooth ball handler with a nice mid range pull up game.

McLemore might be a better shooter and is probably a better inside finisher and straight line athlete than Beal.  Beal is a better all around player.  Beal is a significantly better defender and rebounder IMO, and a more versatile scorer.  Though McLemore did play in restrictive offensive system with a senior laden group.

They're the same age too.

I think Beal could go top 3 in pretty much any class.  I think he already looks like the best SG in the game under 23 (Harden is 23).

McLemore is similar, and one of the only prospects approaching Beal in talent.  He's got a perfect shot too and he can similarly go on scoring binges within the flow of the offense.  He'd be like having a second Beal.  Miami style lineups of mass three point shooters would be possible eventually.

But I bet he's a little slow to adjust to the NBA.

Count me in on the Noel bandwagon. I've always thought that when you're at the top of the draft--top 3 or 5--you always go big (figuratively, not literally). Doesn't matter the sport. I think Noel has the most potential to be a difference maker. Is he also possibly the biggest risk among the top guys? Probably. But **** it. What do we have to lose. He busts, we suck, what else is new, life goes on. If he hits though? To the fullest of his potential? I just like him in that light moreso than with any of the others.

Oh my goodness, I finally figured out how to quote!!!!!

I'll say that I'm more excited about getting Porter because of his low floor, but if we got Noel I think it could lead to more towards long term success. Here are the options I see we'll be facing come pick three:

Porter vs Noel: This case I pick Noel

Porter vs Len: I take Porter

Porter vs Bennett: I'd take Porter

Bennett vs Len: Len

I guess that basically sums it up. I think I'd go Noel, Porter, Len, Bennett. Which really means that there's almost 0 chance I'd take Bennett unless we trade down.

I'd take Bennett over Len Thinking Skins.  Sounds simplistic, but when I watched them both this season, there was no question in my mind that Bennett was a better basketball player than Len.  By a lot.

I think Bennett has been nitpicked to the point where most have forgotten how good he was.  Right when the season ended, this is what my board looked like:

1.) Noel
2.) Bennett
3.) Zeller
4.) Porter

Len wasn't even in the top 8.  I am very suspicious of him.

BTW, I just discovered how to edit the quotes.  If you want to quote posts while avoided the annoying quote pyramid of a long conversation, click the little light switch looking icon next to the eraser in the top left corner.  Then you can convert the post to plain text and delete the quote tags yourself.

• Like 1

stevemcqueen1, on 24 Jun 2013 - 08:52, said:

I'd take Bennett over Len Thinking Skins. Sounds simplistic, but when I watched them both this season, there was no question in my mind that Bennett was a better basketball player than Len. By a lot.

My problem with Bennett is getting a 6'6 PF and expecting the world from him. People say superstar and I just can't see it. How many PFs are that short and do anything? I mean, its kinda like the same problem when you have a 6 foot guy who you try to play at the 2, it just doesn't work. Sure there are the rare exceptions, but the guy just becomes a liability on defense or really forces you to scheme around him. And its not like Bennett's a short guy who's known to throw bows inside, I just don't ever see him able to defend a Blake Griffin or Anthony Davis.

BTW, I just discovered how to edit the quotes. If you want to quote posts while avoided the annoying quote pyramid of a long conversation, click the little light switch looking icon next to the eraser in the top left corner. Then you can convert the post to plain text and delete the quote tags yourself.

Yep.

The only thing I'll say about Len is that he intrigues me in a way that Big men always do. I say that If you have a change at a handful of guys who all have similar abilities and draft grades, then you go with the big guy. I realize that Oladipo and McLemore are also there, but unless they're part of a draft and trade (either them or Beal) then we're really overdoing one position and ignoring others. We have a chance to grab a big in Len, I'd have no problem with doing it. For one thing, look at the improvement he made from last year to his year. Last year he looked lost on the court and even drew comparisons to Jan Vesely. The fact that he improved his game that much in a year really shows signs of not just his athletic ability buy his work ethic. Yeah, he was inconsistent this year, but he's also still relatively new to the American game. I think this guy has real potential - that was really on display when the small guys at UMD decided to include him in the game. Given that could be a problem with the Wizards and an already guard dominated lineup, but I'd take Len over Bennett.

I'm sticking with Otto and Len.  The reason I pick both of them is because I think they are the two safest picks likely to be available at #3. I don't think either will ever be an NBA all star but I don't see any red flag that screams "bust" on either of them.  

Len isn't great but he's over 7 feet, works hard, is athletic enough, and most importantly is highly skilled compared to most centers in the NBA.  How many centers in the NBA can put the ball down and shoot?  Exactly.  He's got the skills to be at least an average starting two way center for the next decade and in the NBA that's insanely valuable.  I don't think he'll be a great defender or offensive player, but he'll do both well enough.

Otto gives the wizards the most interesting first names in NBA front line history.  Otto, Nene, and Emeka.  He doesn't have the athleticism to be a Paul George.  He doesn't have the dribbling skills to be anything like a point forward.  He doesn't have the hops to be a terror attacking the rim.  What he has is everything else.  High BBIQ uncorrupted by AAU, work ethic, ideal size and length, effective scoring, and effective defense.  I say effective because nothing that he does is spectacular, but it works and I think it will translate to the NBA.  

I just don't think Len plays with a good feel for the game.  I know he didn't start playing BBall until he was 13 or something like that, so he's a latecomer.  But the NBA isn't kind to people still trying to put it all together when they get there.

I don't think he's the sum of his parts.  I don't think he generally plays with the explosiveness and agility that his raw athleticism suggests. I don't think he plays with the strength a 7'1 250 pounder should.  I don't think he shoots as well as his good FT % and good form says he should. His percentages for jumpers was just 36%.  He's got a collection of promising post moves as the basis for a back to basket game.  But he doesn't have great feel here and he only shot 38% on post ups.

And I don't like that he wasn't able to elevate his program at all.  A team with a healthy top 5 7'1 center should absolutely not end up in the NIT.  The ACC wasn't flush in quality bigs, Len should have had a clear path to dominate.

He should be better than he is.  I don't think he has a natural feel for the game or good functional strength and those are problems.

Plus he's got a stress fracture in his ankle.  Foot problems for a 19 year old 7 footer is an issue.

Porter seems like a lock.  He is our 3.  If for some reason Ben McLemore falls to us then take him, regardless if we are set in the backcourt since depth is of a premium and he would be best player available.

I have been campaigning against Len and would be disappointed if we took him.  Noel I could live with.

Porter seems like a lock.  He is our 3.  If for some reason Ben McLemore falls to us then take him, regardless if we are set in the backcourt since depth is of a premium and he would be best player available.

I have been campaigning against Len and would be disappointed if we took him.  Noel I could live with.

MySportsLegion

Cavaliers to likely draft Alex Len or Ben McLemore with the #1 overall pick on Thursday. (via @JasonLloydABJ)

6/24/13 12:13 PM

I wouldn't be so sure if Porter will be there at #3....especially if McLemore goes #1. 

Steve 36% is great for a 7 footer playing with crap guards and an offense that ran no pick and pop plays for him.  Those were likely all created and/or contested.  I don't think Len is an all star but I think people are selling him short (in this draft).  

If Noel falls to the Wizards I think they have to trade him.  This franchise can't handle developing Noel.  

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/60177/sources-deng-for-no-3-pick-explored

The first decent NBA Draft trade rumble of the week involves an All-Star who's no stranger to the speculation game.

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that the Chicago Bulls, in their latest attempt to gauge the trade value of All-Star swingman Luol Deng, have had exploratory discussions with Washington about a deal that would land Deng with the Wizards and bring the No. 3 pick in Thursday's draft to the Bulls.

The most likely trade construction, if talks were to progress to the serious stage, would send Deng to the Wizards for the No. 3 pick and center Emeka Okafor, who would have to formally opt into his contract for next season ($14.5 million) this week for the trade to go through.

Absurd rumor.  Deng is a horrible return for #3 plus our starting center.  I'm surprised rumors of obviously unbalanced trades like this get traction.  We're not in a desperate situation.  We don't have to get rid of somebody.  We have no reason to accept such a ridiculously unfavorable trade.  This is a BS leak or silly speculation.

Absurd rumor.  Deng is a horrible return for #3 plus our starting center.  I'm surprised rumors of obviously unbalanced trades like this get traction.  We're not in a desperate situation.  We don't have to get rid of somebody.  We have no reason to accept such a ridiculously unfavorable trade.  This is a BS leak or silly speculation.

While I agree, I thought the same thing in 2009 . . . you can never predict what Ernie may do.

Edited by Duckus
  • Like 1