Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Even though I'm a huge Nene fan, I wonder if Indiana would trade Granger for Nene. We could replace Nene in this year's draft with whatever big man falls to us and add much needed scoring. The question is how bad would our defense suffer losing Nene.

If Granger didn't work out, he'd be an expiring deal that year along with Okafor and Ariza....we'd be major players for a jackpot 2014 free agency class.

Even though I'm a huge Nene fan, I wonder if Indiana would trade Granger for Nene. We could replace Nene in this year's draft with whatever big man falls to us and add much needed scoring. The question is how bad would our defense suffer losing Nene.

If Granger didn't work out, he'd be an expiring deal that year along with Okafor and Ariza....we'd be major players for a jackpot 2014 free agency class.

Granger only has one year left on his deal. I doubt they'd give up their cap flexibility when they can probably resign David West for less. Nene's contract is probably something most teams would prefer to avoid.

We also lose a lot of the size advantage we have on teams if we deal Nene. I think we need a big bodied 7 footer and the plus with Nene is he actually has offensive skills.

Plus Oak is coming up for FA and then we would go from a pair of good vet bigs still playing well to just one second year big and Seraphin in just a year. We'd risk taking a big step back if we didn't replace those guys immediately. It could be done if you nail the draft pick and get lucky in FA. Maybe something like signing Cousins and drafting Len (though the D would probably get pretty bad).

I hope Beal comes back healthy for the last 10 games or so, I would like to see more of him and Wall in the backcourt. However, if we're without some guys and lose some games I am fine with that if it improves our lottery chances. I have seen enough from Wall, Beal and Nene to be happy about next year. Seems we have some good guys in Seraphin, Webster, Singleton and Booker that if they come back they can be valuable role players/bench guys. I hope we get a strong PF-C in the draft.

Against a great team, on a night where his shot wasn't falling and playing with a bunch of not-so-good players, Wall still finished with 18pts and 12 assists.

Horrible efficiency though shooting 18 shots to get 18 points but your point remains all the same. He still was productive when completely outgunned. Wall will be fine if he can stay healthy. The concern is really getting a team that can stay healthy and has some scoring on the bench. Right now that's obviously not the case.

Horrible efficiency though shooting 18 shots to get 18 points but your point remains all the same. He still was productive when completely outgunned. Wall will be fine if he can stay healthy. The concern is really getting a team that can stay healthy and has some scoring on the bench. Right now that's obviously not the case.

Another concern is not taking a step back when Okafor and Ariza come off the books. When we made the trade for them, I had no idea they would become this essential. Without those two our defense probably goes in the crapper and we lose a three point shooter and a rebounder.

Getting them back for a fair price--a good deal less than what they currently make--would be very important.

Our top six would be set for the next few years, then you can work on the depth. Realistically, I think we might have to let Okafor go and hope to bring Ariza back with some MLE money. Drafting Alex Len might be our smartest option. Maybe even Plumlee, though it wouldn't make me jump for joy.

Another concern is not taking a step back when Okafor and Ariza come off the books. When we made the trade for them, I had no idea they would become this essential. Without those two our defense probably goes in the crapper and we lose a three point shooter and a rebounder.

Getting them back for a fair price--a good deal less than what they currently make--would be very important.

Our top six would be set for the next few years, then you can work on the depth. Realistically, I think we might have to let Okafor go and hope to bring Ariza back with some MLE money. Drafting Alex Len might be our smartest option. Maybe even Plumlee, though it wouldn't make me jump for joy.

I was trying to figure out what kind of deal Okafor would get...I was thinking something like 3 years, 27 million. As far as Ariza...I don't see him back unless he really wants to stay and takes less. I don't think Ariza is worth the MLE at this point...he is way too inconsistent. Not to mention we will likely use the MLE this year to keep Webster; so we wont be able to use it in two years when Ariza is a free agent. Wall shouldn't get max money based on the body of his work and what other point guards have recently gotten. I expect him to get something in the ballpark of 4 years, 48 million. I would not do a max extension this off-season (that would be stupid). If another team gave him max money when he became a restricted FA in two years, I'd match...but I wouldn't just give it to him a year before he can even hit the market. I'm thinking the roster/cap will look like this in 2014:

Wall 12m

Beal 4.5m

Webster 5.5m

Nene 13m

Okafor 10m (estimate 3 year 27 million contract extension)

2013 1st round pick: 2.2m (estimate 8th round pick in year two of contract

Vesely 4.2m

Booker 3.4m

Singleton 2.5m

2014 1st round pick: 1.1m (estimating the pick to be somewhere around 20

Temple 1.5m (I love the guy and thing he is valuable moving forward. good bang for the buck)

2013 2nd round pick: 1m

total cap hit for 12 players: 60 million give or take a couple million.

the projected salary cap for next year is 70 million (it is based on BRI (Basketball Related Income) which is projected to go up 20% this year (wow!!! I know). It's hard for me to project 2014 salary cap, so I'll just keep it at 70 million

The above situation leaves us 10 million for free agents.

Andre Iguadala, Danny Granger, Luol Deng, Chandler Parsons, Gordon Hayward, Derek Favors, Larry Sanders, Pattrick Paterson are all guys that could possibly fit into that 10 million of cap space.

anyways...the future looks bright. I hope our only move of the offseason is bringing Webster back and getting a back up point guard on the cheap. Save the cap flexibility for a great FA class of 2014. A longer shot would be to not re-sign Okafor and go after LeBron James who can use an early termination clause. I know that seems unrealistic and this is just a slight possibility, but LBJ and John Wall are good friends...if the Wizards have a good showing next year and make some noise, that might be a landing spot he considers.

******************edit*************************

correction....if the cap is in fact the 70 million it is predicted to be, we will be about 10 million under the cap after signing our draft picks and NOT re-signing any of our own free agents. That means we can't use the mid-level on Webster. If we gave Webster 5 million per year and Temple 1.5....we'd still have 3/4 million in cap space to sign a very competent backup PG. Or we could not re-sign either of them and have 10 million to spend on one of these guys:

Tyreke Evens, Mo williams, Jarret Jack, Devin Harris, DJ Augustine, Jerryd Bayless (2013 PG class is DEEP), Chase Budinger, Paul Millsap, JJ Hickson, Al Jefferson...list goes on.

I think I'd rather re-sign Martell and get a cheap back up PG (like DJ Augustine or Jarret Jack) and save the rest for 2014. This team with the addition of a better back up PG and a lottery pick is good enough to get into the playoffs....then 2014 is the year we put it all together and contend.

Edited by Gator Bait

He would if the team picks up his option in 2014-15. They could also let him walk that season.

Check it out http://www.spotrac.com/nba/washington-wizards/yearly/

I don't think I'd let him walk. We invested a 6th round pick in Vesely...I'd keep him through his rookie contract. Obviously you don't re-sign him after that if he doesn't improve, but I wouldn't decline the team option.

I don't think I'd let him walk. We invested a 6th round pick in Vesely...I'd keep him through his rookie contract. Obviously you don't re-sign him after that if he doesn't improve, but I wouldn't decline the team option.

If a guy sucks, you don't spend four million on him if you don't have to. Barring a dramatic turnaround by Vesely they better not pick up the club option.

If a guy sucks, you don't spend four million on him if you don't have to. Barring a dramatic turnaround by Vesely they better not pick up the club option.

in basketball, big men don't typically fully develop until they are 27. I think it would be a bad decision to cut ties with someone who could possibly develop. Jan can't shoot and makes some bad plays, but he is also a freakishly athletic 7 footer...those don't grow on trees. In the grand scheme of things, 4 million is not that much money in the NBA....we are already going to be 10 million under the projected cap (with him on the team). The only way you don't keep him is if you have the opportunity to sign some one much better and need that 4 million in cap space to get the deal done.

in basketball, big men don't typically fully develop until they are 27. I think it would be a bad decision to cut ties with someone who could possibly develop. Jan can't shoot and makes some bad plays, but he is also a freakishly athletic 7 footer...those don't grow on trees. In the grand scheme of things, 4 million is not that much money in the NBA....we are already going to be 10 million under the projected cap (with him on the team). The only way you don't keep him is if you have the opportunity to sign some one much better and need that 4 million in cap space to get the deal done.

His athleticism is somewhat negated by the fact that he is physically weak. He is a 7 footer with no position, not good enough to play the 3, too weak to play inside. I can't see paying somebody 4 million to only play 10-20 minutes per month. He literally has no impact on the team. That 4 mil could be better spent. If he goes on to develop for somebody else, so be it, but it won't happen here.

His athleticism is somewhat negated by the fact that he is physically weak. He is a 7 footer with no position, not good enough to play the 3, too weak to play inside. I can't see paying somebody 4 million to only play 10-20 minutes per month. He literally has no impact on the team. That 4 mil could be better spent. If he goes on to develop for somebody else, so be it, but it won't happen here.

Anyone can get stronger by hitting the weight room (and Jan has a large frame, so he could definitely put on some weight)....the problem is the team brought him in expecting to play him at the 3.....he isn't a 3..he is a 4/5. As far as him only playing 10-20 minutes per game...that is on Wittman (along with Grunfeld...Wittman is hindering the development of this team...both need to go right away). A 7 footer always has a position...it is up to the coaching staff and the player to be sure he gains the strength to play down low.

I agree that Wittman hasn't had a great impact on Vesely. His confidence is gone, and it's obvious, plus he looks much worse this year than he did in his first. I remember he spent the offseason working on his shot and we saw it in the summer league. When the regular season started Wittman would yank him the first time he'd try it and miss. He plays scared now where in his first year he played a lot more loose. Not saying he'll ever amount to anything but he seems to be regressing, and that's hard for a player that has virtually no skills.

Anyone can get stronger by hitting the weight room (and Jan has a large frame, so he could definitely put on some weight)....the problem is the team brought him in expecting to play him at the 3.....he isn't a 3..he is a 4/5. As far as him only playing 10-20 minutes per game...that is on Wittman (along with Grunfeld...Wittman is hindering the development of this team...both need to go right away). A 7 footer always has a position...it is up to the coaching staff and the player to be sure he gains the strength to play down low.

Actually he said 10-20 minutes per month. A 7 footer always has a position if he can defend the post, rebound or score. There are plenty of veterans at any position that would serve the team better then a guy that never plays because he sucks at basketball. Doesn't matter if a guy is an athlete.

Actually he said 10-20 minutes per month. A 7 footer always has a position if he can defend the post, rebound or score. There are plenty of veterans at any position that would serve the team better then a guy that never plays because he sucks at basketball. Doesn't matter if a guy is an athlete.

I meant to repeat what he said (month) not game.....Jan rarely even gets into a game.

Here's the thing....a basketball team can have up to 15 players on its roster. Only 12 of those players can be activated during the game. Out of those 12...usually only 8-9 of those players get rotation minutes. The rest of the spots on the team can be used for younger development players who may not play now, but will in the future. It makes absolutely no sense to get rid of a 22 year old 7 footer on a rookie contract. Jan can't shoot, we all know that. Jan is weak for his position, we all know that. Thankfully, both of these problems can be rectified. What Jan does have going for him is he wants to succeed...he wants to play and he plays hard when given the opportunity. The problem is he doesn't get enough game experience. You can't get better if you don't play. The Wizards have been out of realistic playoff contention for months now. Jan should have been getting 15-20 minutes per game. Jan is a decent defender....he is good at getting into passing lanes and disrupting the opponent's offensive flow. He still has a long way to go, but like I said, the guy is 7'0, 22 years old, and on a rookie deal....only an idiot would part ways with a player like that (especially since we are a couple years away from being a legit contender anyway).

---------- Post added March-29th-2013 at 11:40 AM ----------

I agree that Wittman hasn't had a great impact on Vesely. His confidence is gone, and it's obvious, plus he looks much worse this year than he did in his first. I remember he spent the offseason working on his shot and we saw it in the summer league. When the regular season started Wittman would yank him the first time he'd try it and miss. He plays scared now where in his first year he played a lot more loose. Not saying he'll ever amount to anything but he seems to be regressing, and that's hard for a player that has virtually no skills.

it is all wittman's fault....he does this to players like Jan, Singleton, and Seraphin...it makes no sense.

---------- Post added March-29th-2013 at 11:41 AM ----------

it is all wittman's fault....he does this to players like Jan, Singleton, and Seraphin...it makes no sense.

I actually have no problem with Wittman holding guys accountable. If players like Ves, Singleton, Seraphin, etc. can't get minutes, there's probably good reason for it. We've seen Seraphin and Singleton bounce back after being benched. That goes to show that they are much stronger mentally than Ves. No point in coddling the young man if he hasn't shown that he can be a contributor on this roster. That failure doesn't fall on Wittman, but rather EG.

Tried to do it with Kevin Love, when he told him to stop shooting 3's.

That is where Wittman's problem really shines. He doesn't really know how to use players who don't fit his preconceived notions of what a player of a certain height or build should be. Instead of trying to think of creative ways to use them, they get banished to the bench only to appear if one of the regulars gets hurt. Its really an out of sight, out of mind kind of operation.

I actually have no problem with Wittman holding guys accountable. If players like Ves, Singleton, Seraphin, etc. can't get minutes, there's probably good reason for it. We've seen Seraphin and Singleton bounce back after being benched. That goes to show that they are much stronger mentally than Ves. No point in coddling the young man if he hasn't shown that he can be a contributor on this roster. That failure doesn't fall on Wittman, but rather EG.

I agree. Its sad too, Jan has the height, the athleticism, and hustle (sometimes), he can block shots, but he just does not have a good basketball IQ. I thought coming out he would be a lot better then he is, and I also thought that he would be a lot better in his second year but its more of the same. Disappointing so far.