Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

His fg and ft percentages are way down and he's been taking some bad shots while shying away from contact. He's got talent but Wittman is IMO poison to big men.

Hm. I don't disagree. This is why I'm not totally joking when I say we should draft Rudy Gobert with our draft pick and leave him in France for two years. By then you'd think Wittman will be gone.

Personally I'll never get over the fact it took Wittman about a month into the season just to figure out a ten man rotation. He should have been fired for that alone. What else has he got to do in the offseason except plan out his rotations?

Not me. I'd rather us just be anonymously bad. I would rather be a fan of a silently inept team so I don't get made fun of as much.

---------- Post added December-22nd-2012 at 12:09 AM ----------

I missed all but the final quarter of the game. Glad I did. A loss like this goes to show how desperately thin our roster is. Wall, Nene, Beal, and Crawford might be the only legitimately good players we have on the entire team. And Crawford isn't that good. Seraphin comes and goes.

How did it come to this. How did we become so completely outgunned? An NBA team shouldn't have trouble putting more than one acceptable NBA player on the court in a game.

The low stat of the game has to be Kyle Singler getting 5 offensive rebounds on us. That's totally unacceptable. We are a horrifically bad rebounding team when Nene misses a game and we will never get to .500 basketball being that bad at rebounding.

Seraphin has got to step the **** up as a rebounder or else he is never going to be worthy of starting. How many games of double digit rebounding has he had? Someone as athletic and as scrappy and tough as he is should be killing it on the boards.

This team has a fundamental lack of scoring and a fundamental lack of rebounding. They're never going to be worth **** until they get those two factors up to league passable standards.

---------- Post added December-22nd-2012 at 12:17 AM ----------

Just checked. Seraphin has only had 4 games of double digit rebounds and they were each 10 rebound efforts.

He is just a lousy rebounder plain and simple. He's not cognizant. He's got skills but he doesn't have the IQ to do anything big with them. He doesn't rebound and he doesn't defend as well as he should. He's a pretty lousy team defender and he doesn't make good decisions with the ball against tight D and in pressure situations.

He has become a finesse player who settles for bad shots, doesn't keep the ball moving, spazzes out against double teams, and doesn't help out at good times on D. I thought he was promising but my faith in him has been shaken a bit. He's not a starter and I'm no longer optimistic he will ever be one. Not for a good team anyway.

Seraphin's lack of rebounding and his aversion to contact go hand in hand. The most FT's he's attempted in a game this year was 4, and he's only done that one time. He has 0 attempts in more than half the games so far this season. He's averaging close to 25 minutes, and gets plenty of offensive touches, those FT numbers should never happen.

Seraphin has 17 total free throw attempts, even Vesely has 15 despite racking up a string of DNP's.

Edited by StillUnknown

Seraphin's lack of rebounding and his aversion to contact go hand in hand. The most FT's he's attempted in a game this year was 4, and he's only done that one time. He has 0 attempts in more than half the games so far this season. He's averaging close to 25 minutes, and gets plenty of offensive touches, those FT numbers should never happen.

Seraphin has 17 total free throw attempts, even Vesely has 15 despite racking up a string of DNP's.

I don't understand the aversion to contact on the offense at all. He likes to mix it up on defense. He likes hitting people and he likes to get in their faces.

I had to fact check that because it was unbelievably believable. Heh. Seraphin has attempted 247 shots to Vesely's 33 and he only has 2 more free throw attempts. That's stunning!

I'm at a lose for words from getting blown out by Detroit of all teams. This is one of those games where Wall probably would not of made a difference, and its infuriating. How can this team be this bad and it still be okay? This loss doesn't say "rebuild", it screams bad basketball franchise...

Edited by Renegade7

I'm at a lose for words from getting blown out by Detroit of all teams. This is one of those games where Wall probably would not of made a difference, and its infuriating. How can this team be this bad and it still be okay? This loss doesn't say "rebuild", it screams bad basketball franchise...

Wall would have made a difference. We played the game without our three best players and we're only about four or five players deep. Even having just one of Wall, Nene, or Beal would have helped stem the bleeding, sparked scoring runs to keep the game in reach, etc.

We're a dysfunctional franchise and so you can count on us being among the worst teams each season. We have no ability to successfully cope with problems. And actually we are awful at properly developing and utilizing our talent so we make our problems worse.

But we're the worst team in the league this year because of our roster problems. First, we're depressingly thin. Fully healthy, we've probably got four players that you can consider pretty good NBA players on any given night. Nene is pretty good every night, that's one. Wall is usually pretty good, you can go ahead and count him as the second. Crawford has been fairly consistently good too, he would get run on most other NBA teams playing at the level he has. Let's count him as half a good player at least. Beal is a developmental player but he's been pretty good lately, let's count him as half a good player too. So that's three good players between those four on any given night. Finally, let's say Seraphin, Booker, Martell, and Singleton are all about a quarter of a good player to add up to one. Between the four of them, you can usually count on one of them stepping up in any given game and giving you a fourth good player.

Then the rest of the roster probably shouldn't even take the floor for an NBA team. Once every ten games or so you'll get a heroic effort from a Cartier Martin or an AJ Price but it's infrequent enough to be a nonfactor.

Any good NBA team should have 8-10 good players worthy of seeing the floor. And the great teams have some players so good they turn guys who normally wouldn't be anything into a good player. And even bad teams like the Cavs, Hornets, and Pistons can trot out 5 or 6 rotation worthy players most nights.

SO, when Nene, Wall, and Beal all miss a game, that means we've basically got one, at most two decent NBA players on the floor. And we get blown out.

Second, our ceiling is limited because our best players are not as good as the best players on the good teams of the league. Even if everything is going right for us, we don't match up. We don't have a single player that can consistently win an individual match up against a legit All Star. Nene comes closest but a matchup against Bynum or Dwight probably doesn't end in a win for Nene. And our inability to develop our talent ensures this will probably always be so. There is a reason why Nene is the only player at the level he is--we got him fully developed. Between DC, Milwaukee, and New York, EG has only drafted one All Star in his 20+ year career: Michael Redd. And the best? Redd didn't become an All Star until EG had already left.

An EG run organization puts a hard cap on player development and often turns good prospects into complete busts. The ONLY time EG has ever had even modest success is in trading for developed players from other organizations like Caron and Gil.

Ted is oblivious to all of this.

Boogie Cousins suspended indefinitely by the Kings. Not sure if he's actually on the market, but the Wizards should do what it takes to bring him in. Yes, he's got his problems....but some sort of shakeup needs to happen. Cousins, is one of the most talented bigs in the NBA. Bring him back and let him do his thing w/ Wall.

Boogie Cousins suspended indefinitely by the Kings. Not sure if he's actually on the market, but the Wizards should do what it takes to bring him in. Yes, he's got his problems....but some sort of shakeup needs to happen. Cousins, is one of the most talented bigs in the NBA. Bring him back and let him do his thing w/ Wall.

Agreed. Huge risk though.

Agreed. Huge risk though.

As someone on RealGM said, this team is 3-19, there isn't ANY risk involved in bringing Cousins in. I'd have to agree. This team seemingly has no direction. If he's on the market, do what you can to bring him in. Ball was dropped w/ Harden. Trading for Cousins would do 3 things:

1. Show the fanbase that you are somewhat serious about trying to get better.

2. Appease Wall

3. Add a young asset who COULD be an actual building block for the future.

I would bring him in, I also would not be shocked if it blew up in our face.

This team still doesn't have the organizational leadership to deal with a player like Cousins. You would basically be counting on Wall to play babysitter in addition to everything else they're already asking of Wall.

There is nothing about this franchise that allows me to think that Cousins would fulfill his potential here, but we are the bottom of the barrel, we're not in a position to discriminate. You can't fall out of last place.

Wall would have made a difference. We played the game without our three best players and we're only about four or five players deep. Even having just one of Wall, Nene, or Beal would have helped stem the bleeding, sparked scoring runs to keep the game in reach, etc.

I understand and see the rest of your post, but I disagree with you on Wall making enough of a difference that we would've won. Going up against a team that is 8-21and getting blown out for any reason is not one out of three players away from being averted. And this really goes back to what you've mentioned and I've noticed, we are horrible at developing our players that we fail every year to get high draft picks to draft.

It's a perpetual cycle of fail, and my only hope is Wall and Beal being here healthy for somebody to figure out how to build around them and win. I feel we can do better then Wittman, and this is the second nucleus I've seen EG build in DC that won't stop losing, injuries or not.

Some of you guys massively overvalue DeMarcus Cousins. You are talking about a center that shoots 41%, which is awful, and can't stay on the court because of his terrible attitude. Getting other team's bad players won't make the Wiz better.

Edited by Hersh