Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'd offer Booker and Singleton for Derrick Williams. I'm done with Booker and Singleton has upside as a defender... but he's an offensive mess and this team can't score the basketball. Watching Singleton start at the 4 makes my head hurt.

Edited by Destino

No, that team has too many competent basketball players on that team. That's not Wizards basketball.

Yeah you're right. Trade Wall, Calderon, and Nene and replace them with Hedo Turkoglu (reupped long term), Andris Biedrins, and Greg Stiemsma. Ensure they each play 30+ minutes a game.

That looks more like it.

---------- Post added December-17th-2012 at 11:15 AM ----------

Absolutely! Williams/Bynum are gambles worth taking, IMO. Something drastic has to be done.

You can't give Bynum a big contract. This team's history with injuries? His knees? You'd be worse off with that than you would with Nene.

Bynum is a terrific player but he's sketchy and he wants a lot of money.

---------- Post added December-17th-2012 at 11:20 AM ----------

Hansbrough sucks. He's a big man that can't shoot. His FG% is 41 this year with a career average of 42%. The last thing this team needs is more players that can't shoot.

You're not bringing him here for his scoring. He's only taking four shots a game. You bring him here because he's tough, smart, rebounds, and is efficient with limited minutes. He's a rah rah boost off the bench and he will play defense.

Yeah you're right. Trade Wall, Calderon, and Nene and replace them with Hedo Turkoglu (reupped long term), Andris Biedrins, and Greg Stiemsma. Ensure they each play 30+ minutes a game.

That looks more like it.

---------- Post added December-17th-2012 at 11:15 AM ----------

You can't give Bynum a big contract. This team's history with injuries? His knees? You'd be worse off with that than you would with Nene.

Bynum is a terrific player but he's sketchy and he wants a lot of money.

---------- Post added December-17th-2012 at 11:20 AM ----------

You're not bringing him here for his scoring. He's only taking four shots a game. You bring him here because he's tough, smart, rebounds, and is efficient with limited minutes. He's a rah rah boost off the bench and he will play defense.

Personally, I'd much rather take a long-term gamble on a 25 year old w/ bad knees than a 30 year old with the same issues. That 25 year old (when healthy) is the undisputed 2nd best center in the NBA . He'd make Wall's life that much easier.

It's a high risk/high reward gamble that I'd be OK with. As much as I like Nene, it's not going to work for him here in DC.

As for Nene:

- Nene + Ariza for Pau Gasol. Nene is a better fit for them than Gasol, and Ariza gives them a perimeter defender that also fits their offense.

or

- Nene + two unprotected first round picks for Love.

Neither trade would work because neither player would have any interest in coming here. With Wall injured, Grunfeld poisoning the organization, and Wittman bumbling his way through the season DC is a disaster.

As for Nene:

- Nene + Ariza for Pau Gasol. Nene is a better fit for them than Gasol, and Ariza gives them a perimeter defender that also fits their offense.

or

I like Gasol, but there are a few things:

I dont think Gasol meshes that well with Wall.

If Gasol ha problems putting in effort in LA, he most certainly will check out here

Losing Nene for Gasol would probably be a net loss based on the aforementioned problems

Im down for the second trade provided EG is gone. Surely Love wont come here with Wittman still here. He is the one who prevented him from taking 3's. Wittman is a horrible big man coach. The thought of Wall, Beal, Love, and Crawford actually makes me excited. Too bad it wont happen.

Personally, I'd much rather take a long-term gamble on a 25 year old w/ bad knees than a 30 year old with the same issues. That 25 year old (when healthy) is the undisputed 2nd best center in the NBA . He'd make Wall's life that much easier.

It's a high risk/high reward gamble that I'd be OK with. As much as I like Nene, it's not going to work for him here in DC.

Problem is Bynum is a max contract player and we would get him in year one of that deal--if he chose to extend here that is. That's a big if. Also Bynum seems like a bit of a malcontent. Nene is only 70% of a healthy Bynum. But you can make up the difference of that with the contract and he lack of headaches that come with Nene.

Bynum is too risky for me. I don't like the thought of giving him a max deal.

---------- Post added December-17th-2012 at 11:46 AM ----------

As for Nene:

or

Neither trade would work because neither player would have any interest in coming here. With Wall injured, Grunfeld poisoning the organization, and Wittman bumbling his way through the season DC is a disaster.

I don't see the Love deal happening. But I would absolutely make that first deal with LA.

Even if Gasol absolutely sucks here, his contract is expiring next year.

Problem is Bynum is a max contract player and we would get him in year one of that deal--if he chose to extend here that is. That's a big if. Also Bynum seems like a bit of a malcontent. Nene is only 70% of a healthy Bynum. But you can make up the difference of that with the contract and he lack of headaches that come with Nene.

Bynum is too risky for me. I don't like the thought of giving him a max deal.

This is spot on.

The only reason I see to bring Bynum here is to create cap space and potentially use him in a sign and trade. No way I would give him a contract extension.

Nene is one of those players that you're always thinking about upgrading but when you start looking at what's available you never actually find anyone better than him.

Are we talking about at center or PF? At PF I don't think Nene even stands out nearly as much.

Are we talking about at center or PF? At PF I don't think Nene even stands out nearly as much.

Well, PF is nebulous. Call it a true big man and not one of those smaller scoring PFs that stretch the floor.

It's getting harder to define positions nowadays. The lines between PG and SG have been blurred for a while. But now it's also getting to where I think you only have a handful very general positions and not the five rigidly defines positions from the past:

PG, combo guard, swingman perimeter type, general forward, and general big man.

By that definition Nene, like Seraphin, is a big man.

I think finding good true bigs is the hardest position to fill. There just aren't nearly enough. That's why Omer Asik got the conract he did. Why DeAndre Jordan got his. It's why Nene is going to be so dang hard to replace. Deal Nene without a backup plan and you could end up starting Desange Diop and saying yeah, that was the best we could do.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2012/12/17/3776860/john-wall-talks-about-his-injury-and-rehab

Transcript from Wall talking about his injury today.

Not that encouraging, some of what he says, contradicts what Wittman put out earlier.

Yeah I really don't like this part:

Wall: Well, my fracture is already healed. I just feel like it's the cartilage part left that I'm trying to get cleared. The 8 weeks I took off was the time I was supposed to take off for the stress fracture to heal.

Not a matter of a broken bone healing now. That answers my earlier question as to why he took longer to heal in this day and age. He didn't. The bone healed but he's got another knee issue and I really do not like the sound of it.

Can doctors figure out what Adrian Peterson's knee is made of and then transplant that into the knee of every other professional athlete?

Peterson is not a human being. His body reacted to the knee injury by growing better knees. If he gets a head injury he might show up the following season with horns growing out of his head.

Yeah I really don't like this part:

Not a matter of a broken bone healing now. That answers my earlier question as to why he took longer to heal in this day and age. He didn't. The bone healed but he's got another knee issue and I really do not like the sound of it.

I'm not a doctor but cartilage issues at his age is an awful sign. You can get microfractur surgery to help some that has limited benefits (if what my doctor told me is true).

I don't like that microfracture surgery seems to be a possibility, however small the chance may be (although with our luck, its a virtual certainty) .

Wall's game is completely predicated on his athleticism, take even a fraction of that away and his game gets real ugly.

Edited by StillUnknown

That is terrible news. If he needs to have arthroscopic knee surgery to clean up the cartilage, then it needs to be done as soon as possible. I shudder at the thought of him having micro fracture surgery. That is the nail in the coffin right there folks. Rule of thumb for the wizards continues to be, ' no matter how bad it looks, it could always be worse.'

I don't know why, but after reading that, I just have this feeling this is all going to work out in the end. He brings up God a lot, in this case, all you can do is keep the faith. A Wall/Beal backcourt does feel like money, when it does eventually happen. I wouldn't be upset to end his season to make sure we actually do get that backcourt for the future...

The worst part about John Wall's knee is that Ernie and Ted will use it as an excuse to not make any changes. Wittman will be here all year and we will have to same conversations over and over again about what a competent GM and owner should be doing with this franchise. Hopefully there is a good big man or scoring SF worth taking when the Wiz draft top 3 next year.

---------- Post added December-18th-2012 at 03:54 AM ----------

If he needs micro fracture he needs to be traded two months free he gets back on the court and momentarily looks good. I don't care if he looks like Derrick Rose. Having said that, I don't think we are anywhere near that point.

Even if he has microfracture surgery, I will bet that he'll still get a max contract from Ernie.

Edited by Hersh

Damn the Cavs are sitting at 5-20. At least they've had Irving for half the year. Of course, we're both be looking for scoring SFs they'll probably and up with the more, "exciting," SF pick like Shabazz. Irving was the more, "exciting," PG than Wall and Waiters was the more, "exciting/flashy," SG than Beal.

Edited by SuperBash

he friggin sucks

he isnt even a "glue" guy because he cant guard anyone.

Bynum? hell nah, he good but if we complaining about knuckleheads I would rather not sign someone who trying to be Silky the Pimp from '75

He tries hard tho, lets give him a MLE because he tries.

---------- Post added December-18th-2012 at 01:47 AM ----------

Microfracture surgery= Gilbert Arenas.

there were a serious of mess ups that lead to Gil getting the microfracture.

but yeah, if Wall has microfracture we may as well just give up on dude.

Edited by AsiaticSkinsFan