Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Take solace fellow Wizards fans. Why? Because it seems like its 10x more crummy to be a fan of the LA Lakers now. I was listening to the game locally last night and the radio announcers (John Ireland and Mykel Thompson) were going to cry after they got blitzed by the Knicks. What's worse than being a cellar-dweller? Thinking that you've got a dream-team roster, and squeezing out less than .500 basketball... if the Wizards make this game tonight one of these 70-80 point "no team can make a shot" games.... well... they are the Wizards.

But in all seriousness I think being in the Wizards position with a known dreadful roster is better than the Lakers where they think they are good, but playing mediocre and repeating to themselves "we'll be better soon... we'll be better soon... wait till Nash comes in...."

I'm sure you mean well, but this is NOT the place to come and complain about how dreadful it is to be a Lakers fan right now. Just no. Lakers fans are so jaded its ridiculous. One bad quarter of a season and they act like the basketball gods have mistreated them. NOTHING is worse than being a wizards fan right now. You guys have 5 titles since 2000. We have second round 'Beat the Heat' tshirts.

Edited by DCchillin89

http://www.tedstake.com/2012/12/14/consider-the-source/

As I look at box scores from around the league, I see many games that can be considered blowouts, but our team has been very competitive and we have had plenty of fourth-quarter opportunities. We have lost, as an example, 11 games by seven or fewer points. Our record is our record – I’m not denying that – but we are building a strong foundation of a team that is dedicated, plays committed team defense and has high character.

I wanted to segue now to an issue that has been top of mind for some folks. I usually do not comment on articles that are premised on statements from anonymous sources, let alone an unauthorized anonymous source. Once you respond to a story like that you are open to having to respond to those kinds of stories all of the time. In this case, however, I need to make an exception.

As a matter of principle, I think it is bad form to publicly share trade-related discussions and conversations about players who are under contract with other teams. I certainly wouldn’t like it if someone was talking off the record to the media or the public about our players or proposed deals. Also, talking about players on other teams can get an executive fined by the league.

I would like to debunk though a statement and notion that originated in The Washington Post that a potential trade would have put our team in the luxury tax and thus we “turned down” a deal because we were “unwilling to commit” financially. That is simply not true. First, we would not have gone into the luxury tax – that is simple math. Second, economics were not a factor.

I am not shy about making financial investments in our teams. Simply look at the history of the Capitals and see the progression of our payroll. Additionally, the Wizards used the amnesty provision this past offseason as a financial tool to reconfigure our team. It is public knowledge that we have taken on some of the most significant contracts in the NBA and NHL. We have a track record, and these are concrete examples. Our fans know we will invest in our teams.

Close losses are acceptable. Unless we start getting blown out regularly, there is no chance Ernie is going anywhere.

Edited by StillUnknown

Take solace fellow Wizards fans. Why? Because it seems like its 10x more crummy to be a fan of the LA Lakers now. I was listening to the game locally last night and the radio announcers (John Ireland and Mykel Thompson) were going to cry after they got blitzed by the Knicks. What's worse than being a cellar-dweller? Thinking that you've got a dream-team roster, and squeezing out less than .500 basketball... if the Wizards make this game tonight one of these 70-80 point "no team can make a shot" games.... well... they are the Wizards.

But in all seriousness I think being in the Wizards position with a known dreadful roster is better than the Lakers where they think they are good, but playing mediocre and repeating to themselves "we'll be better soon... we'll be better soon... wait till Nash comes in...."

1977-78. Thirty-Five years of not getting past the 2nd round. SERIOUSLY? You really want to compare the Lakers who are only 23 games into a season with THIRTY-FIVE years of futility? This has got to be the dumbest post I've literally ever seen. Wholly Freakin God I can't believe you would even think this is comparible. That's like a YANKEES fan coming to a CUBS forum and telling them to be patient. Lord have mercy, Good golly miss Molly, pass the potatoes.

Edited by pjfootballer

http://www.nba.com/wizards/news/wizards-injury-update

The following is a statement from Dr. David Altchek on the stress injury to John Wall.

“John’s examination today showed improvement in his stress injury that will allow him to begin ramping up his activity level. There is still some irritation in the knee which we have treated over his last several visits with a series of three lubricating Synvisc injections, the last of which was given today. He will continue to be evaluated on an ongoing basis.”

Wall has missed the first 19 games of the 2012-13 season with the stress injury in his left knee. In two seasons with the Wizards, he has appeared in 135 games, averaging 16.3 points, 8.2 assists and 4.6 rebounds in 37.0 minutes per contest.

http://www.tedstake.com/2012/12/14/consider-the-source/

Close losses are acceptable. Unless we start getting blown out regularly, there is no chance Ernie is going anywhere.

He must be trolling fans. He can't be dumb enough to attempt selling moral victories to wizards fans. The fans mock close losses because they lost their silver lining long ago.

More interesting however is this part:

I would like to debunk though a statement and notion that originated in The Washington Post that a potential trade would have put our team in the luxury tax and thus we “turned down” a deal because we were “unwilling to commit” financially. That is simply not true. First, we would not have gone into the luxury tax – that is simple math. Second, economics were not a factor.

That seems like an awfully specific and narrow denial.

Edited by Destino

Tough task again for Beal tonight.

---------- Post added December-14th-2012 at 07:27 PM ----------

If anyone just saw that move Kobe pulled on Seraphin...how did he not see that coming?

---------- Post added December-14th-2012 at 07:45 PM ----------

Edited by SuperBash

He must be trolling fans. He can't be dumb enough to attempt selling moral victories to wizards fans. The fans mock close losses because they lost their silver lining long ago.

More interesting however is this part:

That seems like an awfully specific and narrow denial.

I'm not sure I believe him. I'm against that trade for basketball reasons. I don't know if I believe the FO was against it purely for basketball reasons either. I hope so. But Ted has a pattern of fiscal conservatism that makes me question his words. He was one of the biggest luxury tax hawks during the lockout. He's been risk averse financially, with Nene being the only financially weighty move he's made. Look at how long it took him to amnesty Blatche.

I think the financials are a part of every decision we make. Too big a part sometimes.

I know he's streaky and limited, but I love Cartier Martin. When that dude gets hot, it's lights out!

Me too. He's our guy. If he were a consistent defender, he would be a true keeper. He struggles to get on the floor though. I love rooting for players like him. We've had way too few guys like that emerge for us.

The team has been playing better lately. Rotations and roles are crystallizing. I've got a feeling Wall is going to come back around February and we're going to play close to .500 ball to close out the year, finish around the 6th pick or so again. Do just enough for Ted to stick with Grunfeld and Wittman for at least one more year after which we can expect to start about 2-10.

The team has been playing better lately. Rotations and roles are crystallizing. I've got a feeling Wall is going to come back around February and we're going to play close to .500 ball to close out the year, finish around the 6th pick or so again. Do just enough for Ted to stick with Grunfeld and Wittman for at least one more year after which we can expect to start about 2-10.

My problem with Grunfield and Whittman this year is that after all the supposed excitement about the six game winning streak last year, we acted like it meant nothing going into the offseason and this year. You complain about our rotations and our offensive sets, but the problem (as I see it) with this team early on is taht we didn't trust or know each other. The players who finished out the year, many of whom are still here, were sitting at the bottom of the rotation getting replaced by Price, Okafur, Ariza, Webster and Beal. That totally ruuned the chemistry that we built last year and we basically were acting like an expansion team trying to throw together a brand new starting 5.

In a way the injuries to Price and Ariza have forced us to go back to some of the old faithful lineups and we're reaping some benefits of it. Even during the 0-11 losing streak we were still seeing the positives from Crawford, Singleton and the likes - the names we knew and trusted. People can say that its all a part of learning a system, but if you've got 5 guys learnign a system then they shouldn't be forced into the starting lineup over legit starters, or at least starters who haven't been beaten out in a practice atmosphere. That was my problem with the team this year.

---------- Post added December-14th-2012 at 08:27 PM ----------

I just hope that Whittman doesn't have a quick hook with Martin. How is a shooter supposed to get comfortable in the game if he has a feeling that if he misses three in a row he'll get benched and won't see the floor for 3 games or so?

My problem with Grunfield and Whittman this year is that after all the supposed excitement about the six game winning streak last year, we acted like it meant nothing going into the offseason and this year.

That's because the winning streak at the end of last season meant nothing. Seriously, what was there to get excited about? Beating a Miami team twice in which the big-3 didn't play either game, beating the worst team ever in Charlotte, beating an equally awful Cleveland team?

If (when) we do reach that point and fire Ernie, what should be done? I know I've asked that before in more general terms, but specifically, how should we tear this down? How do we start our next rebuild? What do you keep? What so you do with any assets we may actually have? What's the plan for the new rebuild?

I'd find a way to package Wall to get rid of Nene. and hopefully get a lottery pick out of it. Or maybe even another lottery pick for next year.

I'd see if I can make a Ves and Crawford package into something. Ves is 7 feet tall and has a few skills and is fairly athletic, can't we get something for him?

Basically:

Wall + Nene for Dragic, Dudley and Brown + Top 3 protected Suns pick which turns into unprotected in 2014

Probably not the best return for Wall, but we get useful players and a potentially high pick.

Vesely and Crawford for a draft pick maybe? I'm not a fan of Crawford's style. Maybe Ves and Crawford to the Lakers for Blake and Ebanks and their midrounder.

We keep Seraphin and Beal.

With this deal we'd end up with most likely 2 high lottery picks. I'd draft Noel and Alex Len with those picks. Hopefully we've invested in real player development. Or Noel and Muhammad if we end up with #2 and #4 or something. Our 2013 roster would be:

Dragic/Blake

Beal/Shannon Brown

Muhammad/Dudley

Noel/Seraphin

Seraphin/Okafor

It'd be a few years before we'd get out of cap hell, but that's going to be a nice young team in 2 years, with lots of cap money to play with, and if we go with Len, a really formidable group of big men. Sadly, that team will likely be too good for Wiggins or Parker, probably good enough to win 30 games, especially if Beal turns out to be as good as Harden is now, and Noel lives up to his potential.

That's because the winning streak at the end of last season meant nothing. Seriously, what was there to get excited about? Beating a Miami team twice in which the big-3 didn't play either game, beating the worst team ever in Charlotte, beating an equally awful Cleveland team?

Yeah, that's the easy thing to say, but the truth of the matter is that we were playing as a team those games and no matter who you win against you're still playing NBA ball and that counts for something. I know people complain that those wins hurt our draft position, and gave Ernie and Whittman contract extensions, but that's not a part of my argument. From a basketball perspective Crawford and Martin and Seraphin were playing together so Crawford knew where Martin and Seraphin would be when they ran a fast break or a pic and roll. You can't say that about Crawford and Ariza because they'd never played together. Then Martin goes from being a starter at the end of the year (given, due to injury), gets resigned and then gets buried at the bottom of the rotation when (at least) 2/3 of our team can't shoot worth a damn?

This is all aside from the Harden deal or the Okafur/Ariza deal. Or any off the court stuff. I'm just looking at this team from a chemistry perspective. It'd be one thing if we had traded for the starting lineup from the Miami heat in the offseason. I could understand giving them the starting spots. But giving a bunch of nobodys from other rosters starting spots because of what? Their salaries? their reputation? their years of experience? It just doesn't make sense. And its frustrating that as a fan I've got to ask for just a competent coach who's willing to play the best man and give everybody a chance. We were all saying that Crawford was this team's best player early in the year, but he couldn't get into the starting lineup. Ariza couldn't do anything for like the first 10 games, but he seemed to have a starting spot reserved for him. It just doesn't make sense.