Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I think they said March of last year, but that doesn't seem right cause I remember being depressed watching us play on the road last year. But then again, we did win those games toward the end of last year.

We haven't had back-to-back road wins since 2008. Yes, 2000 and ****ing 8. Unreal stat.

One of my co-workers just told me he heard on pre-game last night that Javale changed up his asthma medication 4 games ago. Since switching the meds, he has logged three straight 35 minute games (he only averages 27 on the year) and he also had a double-double in each of the last 3 games. I went back and looked at this points/rebounds in each of his 12 30+ minute games this season. JaVale has double-doubles in 9/12 games he has played 30 minutes or more. He has 1 double-double game in 17 games where he logs 29 minutes or less.

In many of these sub 30 minute games, JaVale gets winded and makes mistakes (foul trouble and stupid plays) and then just ends up getting taken out of the game.

I'll be interested to see how he plays the rest of the year on this new medicine...could make all the difference in the world.

count me in on the pro JaVale croud, I think this guy is gonna work out.

I also agree with Warhead....Crawford is a shot jacker, if at any point we get a chance to deal him for an asset, I say go for it.

I agree that it's interesting but it reads like Vishnu Parasuraman doesn't actually watch the Wizards play, he just reads what the media says about them. His concerns about McGee are entirely "embarrassing moments" which do not matter at all. Nothing about his offensive growth, continued lack of lower body strength, or basically anything having to do with his game.

Then when he gets to Rashard Lewis option 1 is: "Pay Lewis the full amount of his contract (guaranteed and unguaranteed portions) and keep him." If he had watched the Wizards play this season he'd know that Lewis might as well be wearing a "I don't give a ****" sign around his neck. He lists Blatche's problem as being "selfish on offense" which I doubt any Wizards fan would list as his main complaint. The fact that he plays lazy on the court, shows up out of shape, and refuses to attack the rim are his biggest problems. Sports function as a meritocracy and the minutes he and Blatche were getting clearly had an effect on that locker room. They both play lazy and haven't earned what they are getting from the coaching staff. Lewis can't be on this team next season and Blatche either needs to be gone or buried on the depth chart.

Edited by Destino

I hope everyone falls into the pro-McGee camp. It's gonna be that much sweeter when I'm right.

You are about to be wrong for the second time. McGee is good enough to be a starter on almost any team. We will be possibly below the minimum salary requirements next year after we jettison Shard, and amnesty Blatche. We will have no reason not to pay javale. If we get rid of McGee we will also have 0 replacement centers on the roster other than Dleaguer Ndiaye. We will also have to replace NY, Evans, and Mason Jr. If we dont resign McGee, we are throwing in the flag because the draft is going to focus on the SG or PF. The guy has gotten better every year, and seems to stay quite healthy. You cant give that up.

on a side note, im not sure why it would be sweet for the wizards to suck another year.

I hope everyone falls into the pro-McGee camp. It's gonna be that much sweeter when I'm right.

not gonna be sweet at all if you are a Wizards' fan. We need him to succeed. I hope I'm wrong about Blatche and he comes back with great character and posts 20-10 every night on .500 shooting. I hope you are wrong about McGee...not because I want to be right, but because I want this team to win!

The question with Javale is really the salary he will get. He's good enough to be a starter, but at what cost to the overall good of the team?

Once he gets paid in the double figures range, the expectations will change. Right now we expect him to improve, but on that salary, he's going to have play well consistently EVERY night to be worth the money.

I really don't think I'd go above 10-11 million, and only 12 if he accepts a front loaded deal. But the concept of front loaded deals is alien to our front office. A lot of teams in the league utilize it, but our dumbass GM still operates as if its 1995.

---------- Post added February-15th-2012 at 02:06 PM ----------

The issue with Blatche is that not only is he a lousy player, he has the ****tiest work ethic in the entire league.

I don't think either are questions with Javale. He has stupid moments on the court, but he produces way above average for his position and the off court issues aren't a problem.

It really comes down to how much of the salary cap you are willing to tie into him. You will get production out of him, but it has to be proportional to how much he's earning, which might be a lot consider there are a lot of dumb and desperate GM's in the NBA.

I'm hoping (although probably won't happen) that he gets the Nick Young treatment in the offseason. Young got a pretty good reality check this offseason.

Edited by No Excuses

I am in the "pro-McGee camp" assuming thinking he can be a good role player qualifies. When exactly is he supposed to start being horrible?

Currently per 48 minutes amongst qualified centers:

8th in rebounds

1st in blocks

10th in points

Not saying he's a star but I'm not seeing the "terrible" on the stat sheet or in games. He's a role player and at center that makes him valuable because of availability.

The question with Javale is really the salary he will get. He's good enough to be a starter, but at what cost to the overall good of the team?

Once he gets paid in the double figures range, the expectations will change. Right now we expect him to improve, but on that salary, he's going to have play well consistently EVERY night to be worth the money.

I really don't think I'd go above 10-11 million, and only 12 if he accepts a front loaded deal. But the concept of front loaded deals is alien to our front office. A lot of teams in the league utilize it, but our dumbass GM still operates as if its 1995.

---------- Post added February-15th-2012 at 02:06 PM ----------

The issue with Blatche is that not only is he a lousy player, he has the ****tiest work ethic in the entire league.

I don't think either are questions with Javale. He has stupid moments on the court, but he produces way above average for his position and the off court issues aren't a problem.

It really comes down to how much of the salary cap you are willing to tie into him. You will get production out of him, but it has to be proportional to how much he's earning, which might be a lot consider there are a lot of dumb and desperate GM's in the NBA.

I'm hoping (although probably won't happen) that he gets the Nick Young treatment in the offseason. Young got a pretty good reality check this offseason.

if the new asthma meds worked miracles... and he averaged the numbers he has put up the past 4 games for the rest of the season....I'd pay whatever it took to keep him (I am by no means saying I think the asthma medicine was the only reason for his inconsistent play in the past or that I definitely think he is going to be awesome the rest of the year....just saying if by chance it did)

If he continues to be inconsistent while still showing a bit of promise, I'd give him the qualifying offer (obviously) and match up to 5 years/40 million....if a team offered him more than that, I'd walk.

---------- Post added February-15th-2012 at 02:24 PM ----------

I am in the "pro-McGee camp" assuming thinking he can be a good role player qualifies. When exactly is he supposed to start being horrible?

Currently per 48 minutes amongst qualified centers:

8th in rebounds

1st in blocks

10th in points

Not saying he's a star but I'm not seeing the "terrible" on the stat sheet or in games. He's a role player and at center that makes him valuable because of availability.

agree...he has also improved every year he has been in the league and he is still young and will likely get better and better the next 3 to 4 years when he hits his prime.

the ****in' wizards are gonna kill me. I have to get up at 6 am for work and I just did p90x..so I'm dead tired, but I'm considering staying up to watch the game tonight. The Clipper are much better than us and it is away....but I have a funny feeling this run we are on is for real. I want to see if JaVale keeps up his 4 game streak of good play w/ 30+ minutes and a double double....see if Nick Young can stay red hot from the field and see if Mr. Wall continues his excellent play.

I absolutely can't believe the drastic change in field goal percentage from Wall and Young.....and Wall isn't just doing it w/ layups...he is actually knocking down some mid-range jumpers. I'd love to see Wall improve from behind the arc and see Nick Young drive to the lane and rebound better. I'm also looking for Booker to pick it back up tonight...he was really coming on strong, but didn't do much the last two games.

I think we get killed tonight. A back to back on the west coast is hard on the body and tired legs doesn't help a team that normally struggles to shoot. I want to see what McGee, Wall, and Booker do tonight. Booker didn't look right last night. Wall has a tough match up and I want to see if he continues to have th at improved jumper with tired legs. McGee gives me the impression that Griffin irks him, I'm secretly waiting for him to flip out and flagrant foul that bama.

Edited by Destino

I think we get killed tonight. A back to back on the west coast is hard on the body and tired legs doesn't help a team that normally struggles to shoot. I want to see what McGee, Wall, and Booker do tonight. Booker didn't look right last night. Wall has a tough match up and I want to see if he continues to have th at improved jumper with tired legs. McGee gives me the impression that Griffin irks him, I'm secretly waiting for him to flip out and flagrant foul that bama.

I think you are right. I didn't even think about the Wall vs. Paul matchup. That should be interesting.

Blatche improved every year he has been in the league other than this year JUST SAYIN.

The Wizards can't keep subtracting and thinking we will get better. I don't think we pay Young he has too improve his overall game other than just shooting. If we get rid of McGee we will have holes at every starting position other than PG. McGee is a willing learner his defense has been much better this year and not jumping around like a bunny trying too block every shot. We can do MUCH worse with someone else at center.

It's looking like Blatche gone and if Nick Young don't lower his demands or play consistently he's gone, Rashad is gone we can't get rid of McGee.

^^

I think most of us knew a long time ago that Blatche was ****. A few held out hope, but he was just a lazy dimwitted bum who happened to be on a team that had no scorers available. Someone had to score. It made me angry every time i heard that we got a great deal for him at the time. he should have been let go once his contract was up. McGee is different. But i have already stated all my reasons why i think this team HAS to keep him, beyond the fact that we do not have the ability to attract any free agents here to replace 4 of our starting 5 should he be let go.

Im worried about tonight. We never play well on back to backs. And its the Clippers. And its another game on the road in the west. Im prepared for doom. I just cant see NY coming out on fire again. I hope im wrong.

Clippers are rapidly becoming my second most hated team to the Heat. It's disgusting the calls they get. Absolutely one-sided every game I watch.

This is probably colored by the fact that I think Blake is the most overhyped player in the league.

David Stern is coddling Griffin as if his life depended on it, it is sickening.

On a sidenote, looks like Nick left his shooting touch in Portland.

Blatche improved every year he has been in the league other than this year JUST SAYIN.

false...last year Blatche was much worse than the prior three years....his shot attempts when up and shooting percentage plummeted. Even setting aside his shooting percentage, even his production (I know that is a hockey stat....but can be used in basketball as well) went down per 48 in regards to scoring. He also had a career high turnovers. Pretty much he was a possession killer. He was also in terrible shape, lazy as ever on defense, and caused problems with team chemistry getting into it with the head coach. This year he topped last year. So no, he didn't improve every year he had been in the league......just sayin'

Edited by Gator Bait