Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

14 minutes ago, Destino said:

I understand the logic, but this isn’t college.  Sitting out to focus on a payday isn’t a good look.  Is he still getting paid for the rest of this season or does his choice surrender that money?

I wish Beal would do it. Coming off months of no play or even full pickup games to try playing in some bubble world that happens to be in a state that is has more COVID. I imagine the ankle, hamstring, knee injuries if they even get to the practice phase are going to be noticeable. 

Want

The Rockets waived center Isaiah Hartenstein on Tuesday.

Hartenstein wasn't in the rotation and the Rockets are all-in on playing small-ball, so this isn't a shock. Houston subsequently reached an agreement with 3-and-D wing David Nwaba, though he won't play until 2020-21 because he's recovering from Achilles surgery.

SOURCE: The Athletic
Jun 24, 2020, 10:42 AM ET
  •  

• Like 1

While I applaud some Wizards and Mystics players for choosing to boycott games to focus on social issues, I'm not sure it's the right move. Over the years, I remember a number of celebrities boycotting award shows and events as a statement. It generates a blip, but once the event happens the world moves on without them. It seems more powerful if they play and remain a figure in the spotlight. Then, whenever they are interviewed they can champion their cause or during the anthem, half time, etc. make gestures that generate attention and/or conversation.

• Like 3

On 6/24/2020 at 11:58 AM, Burgold said:

While I applaud some Wizards and Mystics players for choosing to boycott games to focus on social issues, I'm not sure it's the right move. Over the years, I remember a number of celebrities boycotting award shows and events as a statement. It generates a blip, but once the event happens the world moves on without them. It seems more powerful if they play and remain a figure in the spotlight. Then, whenever they are interviewed they can champion their cause or during the anthem, half time, etc. make gestures that generate attention and/or conversation.

Anything said at halftime will be the same as what you say is just a blip before the world moves on. I wouldn't overlook what it means to them personally to be focusing on social issues and out of the spotlight. After all, what you do out of the spotlight is more telling of one's character. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

So we have 6 games left, unless we get into the playoffs, is that correct? What are the chances we have of getting a playoff spot?

8 games left.

From the article: 

They are currently the ninth seed in the East and 5 1/2 games back from the Orlando Magic. Per the NBA's return-to-play rules, the Wizards have to pull within four games of Orlando to force a play-in tournament before the playoffs.

If the Wizards qualified as the ninth-seed, they would have to beat the eight-seed twice. But to get there, they have to go through this gauntlet of a schedule first.

Edited by Mooka

The odds aren't the point, I'm not sure how I feel about this idea of competitive nature when our players are saying one after the other it's not worth it to play.

I heard Brooks this morning on WTOP talking team can't wait, apparently they can.

They only reason they aren't going straight to playoffs is to give Portland a chance to get in, not us.

It's one thing if it was clearly about the health risks from Rona, Betrans made clear it was about money.  I didn't expect Wall to play or go, but this idea of a unique experience, I'm not buying it and neither is Beal.  I'm hoping his decision is based on the virus and not the idea of getting hurt for nothing playing basketball. 

He's the one that decided to stay with this garbage franchise, he choose to waste his time so don't throw that back in our face when there is a chance to get in the playoffs.  Say it's the virus, don't make this any worse then it needs to be.

If his shoulder is an issue without playing for months, i question what they've been doing these past few months to heal. 

If its just a "reason" because this bubble idea is ridiculous. I'm 100% down with that. Wish Rui had something keeping him out too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:
If his shoulder is an issue without playing for months, i question what they've been doing these past few months to heal. 

Probably can't heal on its own without corrective surgery.

The only reason NBA isn't going straight to playoffs is to give Portland a chance to get in.

This was never for us.  As for Beal rehabbing his shoulder, has even been allowed to go to the facility?

It would make total sense players aren't healing right if they can't see the medical staff to do it.

Wizards gonna lose by 60 points every game, just give our spot to someone else if they don't want to play, stop wasting my time as a fan.  Don't ask me to care if you don't.

• 3 weeks later...