Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Winning has to matter.  It doesn't to the fans, so it has to for the coaches.  It needs to be contextualized, but it's fair to give the top four teams in the conference two All Stars.

But I can sympathize with Beal for the snub.  He knows he's better than all of the guards who made it other than Butler.  He knows he's being held back by the team.

35 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Winning has to matter.  It doesn't to the fans, so it has to for the coaches.  It needs to be contextualized, but it's fair to give the top four teams in the conference two All Stars.

But I can sympathize with Beal for the snub.  He knows he's better than all of the guards who made it other than Butler.  He knows he's being held back by the team.

Winning does matter, there's this whole playoff thing at the end of the season for that.  The All Star game is about the leagues best players.  The message these coaches are sending is two fold.  1- Winning matters.  2- Stars should leave teams that are bad.  First one is smart, the second one is less so. 

• Thanks 1

Folks are surprised every year when this happens to some players...... but it keeps happening.

If they had Yao Ming and Grant Hill on the ballot, they'd still be making All-Star teams one way or another even in 2020.

Whether or not this is some kind of message to players who don't want to get away from bad franchises. I don't know and really don't care. It's about ratings and selling merch. That's what these games are about.

If they wanted an All Star game based only with their truly best players. Stats would play the biggest role in some formula that includes min play, points scored, points given up, turnovers, shooting %, etc etc..... and fans would be pissed they couldn't vote for their guy 25 times a day.

Staying on a ****ty team with a terrible name, that no one watches or cares about does not mean you automatically earn a trip to the game. If brad or John really wanted to be on a successful Washington basketball team, then they should have twisted the screws to Ted and made sure Ernie, Brooks, and anyone else that held a spot in the FO should have been removed years ago. Instead, they signed the check and complained about the results without looking at the leverage that they had to cause real change. 

You think Lebron would sit here and trust some half-assed process, with imbeciles running the show? No, he would have forced them to do something, or left.  

• Thanks 1

No, destino and bartlestein are right, leaving Beal off sends a message that players will be punished for not front-running.  It's pretty self destructive.  The league finally got a little bit of real competition this year and they're strengthening the incentive structures for players to kill competitive balance in response.  It's dumb.  And he absolutely deserved to make the team based on individual merit.  Every coach in the conference would have put him on the team if the game actually needed to be won.  He's one of the six best players in the East this year.  Expecting a shooting guard to fix his team's defense is absurd. Expecting him to also fix his team's front office is absurd too.  Expecting him to win despite the fact the team's best player has missed the last two years, and that their next best player other than himself is a rookie who just missed 20 games for getting kicked in the nuts is absurd.

Fan voting needs to die too.  The process is absurd and leads to absurd results.  Tiny franchises like ours can't get any of our players in no matter how deserving because we simply don't have the number of fans necessary to stuff the ballot box.  That too sends a message that if you want to be recognized, bolt from the small franchises ASAP.

• Thanks 1

Gooden's first good joke of the year with that Dumb and Dumber quip.

Kyrie having an off night & foul trouble. Gotta take advantage.

Troy Brown needs to take end of game shots. He's hit like 5 end of qtr buzzer beaters this year.

Edited by CRobi21

I like the way Brad and the rest of the team responded to the AS snub.  They've kind of rallied around him and played harder and sharper in the last two wins.  We've got good guys on the team.  They're just not a good team yet.

I want to see what Bonga can be when he stops fouling.  I think him and Brown and GP II might be the start of a passable defense.  GP's effort is contagious.  The press defense helps with the tempo and it changes the mentality of the half court D.  They'll never defend well without better forwards and bigs, but it's at least the start of a foundation for defense.

I see the "improved" play and think, why does it take a snub to pull that out of someone? I'm done giving people credit for doing the bare minimum of playing hard.

I hope they add Beal to the game just so people around the team can stop acting like a mortal sin was committed

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

I see the "improved" play and think, why does it take a snub to pull that out of someone? I'm done giving people credit for doing the bare minimum of playing hard.

I hope they add Beal to the game just so people around the team can stop acting like a mortal sin was committed 

I actually like them using it as motivation.  I want to see Beal go on a mission and try and make a playoff push.

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I actually like them using it as motivation.  I want to see Beal go on a mission and try and make a playoff push.

if it meant we were actually good, I would agree with you. the east has a ton of trash, if we make the 8th, its not because we're good, its because somebody had to.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

you can live with Brooks getting an extension? because that happens if we go to the playoffs

Honestly, I don't think Brooks has done a horrible job with the talent available.

Yes, the defense has been terrible but I'm not sure it's due solely to his coaching.

It's a combination (imo) of youth and lack of talent (a rim protector in particular).

Basically, if Brooks gets an extension I'm ok with it.

It needs to be short though. 😀

4 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Honestly, I don't think Brooks has done a horrible job with the talent available.

Yes, the defense has been terrible but I'm not sure it's due solely to his coaching.

It's a combination (imo) of youth and lack of talent (a rim protector in particular).

Basically, if Brooks gets an extension I'm ok with it.

It needs to be short though. 😀

I don't disagree that Brooks has done as well as can be expected given the parts he has. That said, I think he has a clear cap on what he can do with this team. the sooner we move on from him, the sooner we can get serious about turning things around