Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

I don't think there's a chance he's back by all-star break. I'd be somewhat shocked if he plays at all this year

Personally, I hope he sits for the season...but the recovery is 11-15 months.  Might see him out there next year....

31 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I’m sorry, but this is a terrible situation. Beal should not be this involved. That’s the sign of a weak ass front office and owner. Oh, if the front office doesn’t consider every single scenario and opportunity, they are worthless 

“Not at all," Sheppard told The Athletic in regard to trading Beal. "It's never crossed our mind. Bradley is somebody we're building around. He's been involved with everything we're doing in the draft, free agency. We need his opinion. We want this team to be a reflection of what he is all about."

I think this is all politician speak.  They'd be idiots to not field offers.  What incentive does Beal have to stay here?  This is a hopeless situation that will see him squander his prime. 

53 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Personally, I hope he sits for the season...but the recovery is 11-15 months.  Might see him out there next year....

I think this is all politician speak.  They'd be idiots to not field offers.  What incentive does Beal have to stay here?  This is a hopeless situation that will see him squander his prime. 

I hope so. It was just a little overboard to me and pretty specific to the point that isn't something I like hearing from a front office. 

40 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Beal is not worth two first round picks. He's good, he is not a star attraction...except in DC. 

Most first round picks become mediocre role players, damn near every allstar in the league is worth more than two first round picks.  What drives their price down is when the team is forced to trade them because they have signaled they are leaving or wish to leave. 

• Like 3

This isn't football where first rounders are valued like gold and even a monster like Khalil Mack only fetches two. In the NBA even good role players go for first rounders. A young star on a good contract like Beal? Hell I'd ask for four firsts.

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

This isn't football where first rounders are valued like gold and even a monster like Khalil Mack only fetches two. In the NBA even good role players go for first rounders. A young star on a good contract like Beal? Hell I'd ask for four firsts.

Role players don't generally return 1st round picks.

The Warriors gave up a 1st round pick to get rid of Iggy.  Korver was traded for a 2nd round pick during the season.

The Celtics traded Baynes and a 1st round pick this year for a future protected 1st round pick (in other words they essentially got nothing for Baynes).

If you see a role player going for a 1st round pick, there is almost always something up there (e.g. the 1st round pick is heavily protected and likely will end up converting as a 2nd round pick in a few years).

And Beal's contract isn't that good.  He's on what is for him a max deal, and it isn't like he'll be an RFA at the end of this contract.  He'll be a guy in his late 20's looking for a full 5 year max deal that will carry him into his early 30's.

Edited by PeterMP

• Grizzlies rookie forward Brandon Clarke has been named the MVP of the Las Vegas Summer League.

Clarke averaged 14.6 points, 8.6 rebounds and 1.6 blocks on 57 percent shooting in just 21.4 minutes through five games. He was picked 21st by Memphis, and he already looks like a steal. The Grizzlies will battle the Wolves in the Summer League title game Monday night.

SOURCE: NBA on Twitter
    Jul 15, 2019, 5:35 PM ET

5 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

Man, wut?  Issuf Sanon dropped 30 a day or so ago in a U20 game vs. Serbia.

He was PUTRID...and that's be generous during SL.  I don't know what to make of this LOL

most likely says more about the competition level than him

• Like 3

On 7/15/2019 at 5:39 PM, volsmet said:
  • Grizzlies rookie forward Brandon Clarke has been named the MVP of the Las Vegas Summer League.

Glen Rice Jr. won MVP of summer league too.  We'll see if Clarke looks as good in the NBA.  He's an absurd athlete with a tireless motor and great instincts, but he's also a 6'8 PF with a 6'8 wingspan that can't shoot threes.  Maybe he can be great, or maybe he's the next Kenneth Faried.