Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I see no point in keeping Beal. This team has to start planning for 2023 or so

I agree if they don't even want to keep Sato.  If you end up with the plan of Ish starting at PG next, Beal could average 40 a game and wed still be a lottery team.  Just do it Shep, get it over with.

I will say it's we finally have someone that gets the true value of having our own league team.  We could end up with players getting called up out of nowhere and contributing like the Nats machine farm system machine.  They don't have to be all stars, but this has to improve our depth at some point.

We're trying to get Isaiah Thomas too apparently.

I like the little guy.  It's a legitimately interesting move if we make it.  But you're talking about building a back court that has absolutely zero chance of guarding anyone if you go out there trying to run a three man group of Beal, Smith, and Thomas.

So far it's really feeling like Sheppard doesn't care about defense.

• Like 2

According to David Aldridge of The Athletic, the Wizards are in talks with Isaiah Thomas.

This would be a great spot for Thomas to get his career turned around with John Wall still rehabbing his Achilles. The Wizards just added Ish Smith on a two-year deal worth $12M, and with Tomas Satoransky joining the Bulls in a sign-and-trade, the starting spot is up for grabs. Thomas still needs to prove he's healthy and his last few stints with the Cavs, Lakers and Nuggets have not gone well, so that will make Thomas more of a late-round flier in this scenario.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We're trying to get Isaiah Thomas too apparently.

I like the little guy.  It's a legitimately interesting move if we make it.  But you're talking about building a back court that has absolutely zero chance of guarding anyone if you go out there trying to run a three man group of Beal, Smith, and Thomas.

So far it's really feeling like Sheppard doesn't care about defense.

If you’re gonna go 30-52, and we are, might as well put up some points!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I remember Ish Smith was on the team for training camp and preseason back in like 2015, but we waived him to go with someone like Gary Neal at back up point or something.

Glad to see Tommy Sheppard finally right that wrong.

In all seriousness, the veteran back up PG market looks pretty rough this summer.  Hopefully this deal will be fine.

Still sucks to lose Sato though.

3 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

If you’re gonna go 30-52, and we are, might as well put up some points! 

Well I would like to eventually be able to play some defense and win some games.  Preferably sooner instead of later.  It's only one offseason, but the way we're devaluing defense is really starting to feel like a systemic issue.

I'm getting nervous and I'm gonna need Sheppard to go out and get me one or two defenders to prove to me that he's not trying to run back the Eddie Jordan years.

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

No way this team wins 30. The roster is awful 

If we keep Beal and he doesn't get injured, we'll win 30.  You actually have to try to win less than that when you've got an All Star leading your offense.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Well I would like to eventually be able to play some defense and win some games.  Preferably sooner instead of later.  It's only one offseason, but the way we're devaluing defense is really starting to feel like a systemic issue.

I'm getting nervous and I'm gonna need Sheppard to go out and get me one or two defenders to prove to me that he's not trying to run back the Eddie Jordan years.

If we keep Beal and he doesn't get injured, we'll win 30.  You actually have to try to win less than that when you've got an All Star leading your offense.

This roster is way worse than last season both offensively and defensively 

Just now, Hersh said:

This roster is way worse than last season both offensively and defensively  

It can't be worse defensively.  It was already bottom barrel.  Shouldn't be much of a difference on offense either.  Losing Sato is mildly painful, but sending out bums like Keef, Portis, and Parker should actually help.

I think we're headed for another 30-33 win season.  We're going to need to trade Beal or shut him down to win fewer games than that.

11 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

With no rim protectors on the backend

But hey, they'll try hard 

It's a bad mix of defensive ineptitude in all of our levels.  We're way behind the Heat and Magic now, and it feels like we're about to fall behind the Hawks too.

I am really hoping that Schofield and Troy Brown can play defense.  And really hoping that Thomas gets a lot better.

I wonder if Beal's value will be higher now or at the deadline?  

I'm not completely off the keep Beal bus yet, but I'm looking at each move with "Damn, did I miss my stop?"

Any chance Boston is interested in Beal for Tatum + picks?  Or if Lakers whiff on everybody, do they even have assets left to trade?

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It's a bad mix of defensive ineptitude in all of our levels.  We're way behind the Heat and Magic now, and it feels like we're about to fall behind the Hawks too.

We're definitely behind them... They have a nice little squad. They'll be able to compete for a playoff spot for sure.

18 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It can't be worse defensively.  It was already bottom barrel.  Shouldn't be much of a difference on offense either.  Losing Sato is mildly painful, but sending out bums like Keef, Portis, and Parker should actually help.

I think we're headed for another 30-33 win season.  We're going to need to trade Beal or shut him down to win fewer games than that.

I admire your optimism. Who exactly is going to score besides Beal? 

• Thanks 1

This team didn’t have a damn clue what to do with Sato, and he still managed to play really, really well. 

This is kind of baffling to be honest. He’s like the only late draft pick that panned out for this team, is affordable and we still let him walk. 

Just now, No Excuses said:

This team didn’t have a damn clue what to do with Sato, and he still managed to play really, really well. 

This is kind of baffling to be honest. He’s like the only late draft pick that panned out for this team, is affordable and we still let him walk. 

I would have ponied up the extra to keep Sato over Ish Smith too.  But i can't imagine why Sato would have wanted to stay considering the way Brooks kept him on ice the last few years and even after John went down.  Brooks was a terrible hire.  EG's corrupting taint pervades in so many different ways.