Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 hour ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

This roster next year is going to be interesting. O/U on 25 wins? 

Also, is Rui going to have the best selling Jersey in Japan? 

Over. I think this teams win range is between 30-35. Maybe 40 wins if something unexpected happens like Beal playing at elite MVP-level or we resign Jabari Parker and he continues to build and improve upon his ~25 game performance from last year.

Re: the German player, that is some Dirk-esque arc on that three ball. 

He likes going up with two hands off two.  And that was one long video of undefended rim runs.  He runs the floor hard and that's a lot of size running downhill, but they must not have any rim protectors in the Euroleague.

Still, he looks like an NBA caliber athlete in a league that largely plays the game below the rim.  I'm in favor of trying to sign him.  Roster sports aren't exactly at a premium for us this year.  Rather give him a shot then see Mahinmi out there.

1 hour ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

This roster next year is going to be interesting. O/U on 25 wins? 

Slight over.  My guess is 30, unless Beal gets injured or traded.

Having a healthy All Star guard in his prime pretty much anchors your floor at 30 wins.

At this point, I can't see the purpose in hiring Danny Ferry.  He's definitely not the worst GM out there, but he's not that good.  If we're not going to hire Troy Weaver, then just let Sheppard keep doing the job.

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

can't see them bringing back both Bryant & Portis. Brooks couldnt play them together because of defensive issues and I don't really see how either plays with Rui as he develops on that end 

I can talk myself into Bryant, but not Portis.  Bryant is everything you want from the position except rim protection and defensive awareness.  Big flaws, admittedly, but the offensive game and the energy and positive contributions to the culture are there.

Portis isn't any good.  He doesn't really do anything well except hit threes and free throws for a big.  But that's not that valuable compared to everything he takes off the table.  He's a sub-replacement level player and we should let him walk.

12 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You're right, but it's not good for the coaching staff.  I don't know the level of their job security.  It's also not great if we're serious about selling Brad on the viability of signing an extension with us.

The biggest things we need to focus on next season are developing our young players and protecting Brad's health.  If we do that, the season will be worthwhile even if we win less than 30 games.

It's funny, I kinda look at Scott Brooks like Jay Gruden.  Whenever things do turn around, he wont be around to see it.  Trying to build a team around a guy that probably wont be here.

10 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

can't see them bringing back both Bryant & Portis. Brooks couldnt play them together because of defensive issues and I don't really see how either plays with Rui as he develops on that end

Even if they wanted Portis, I think he's gonna get more than they wanna spend on him. 

9 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

At this point, I can't see the purpose in hiring Danny Ferry.  He's definitely not the worst GM out there, but he's not that good.  If we're not going to hire Troy Weaver, then just let Sheppard keep doing the job.

I can talk myself into Bryant, but not Portis.  Bryant is everything you want from the position except rim protection and defensive awareness.  Big flaws, admittedly, but the offensive game and the energy and positive contributions to the culture are there.

Portis isn't any good.  He doesn't really do anything well except hit threes and free throws for a big.  But that's not that valuable compared to everything he takes off the table.  He's a sub-replacement level player and we should let him walk.

Agree with your assessment but the irony is Portis may receive more interests from other teams. Why?

19 minutes ago, justice98 said:

It's funny, I kinda look at Scott Brooks like Jay Gruden.  Whenever things do turn around, he wont be around to see it.  Trying to build a team around a guy that probably wont be here. 

Good point.  I think their situations are parallel.  Jay is a better coach than Brooks IMO, but if I had to guess, I'd say Brooks has more job security.  The Wizards are so much more conservative than the Redskins, and Scott is a very likeable man who I believe has endeared himself to the people in the organization.  His personality is a good fit with Tommy Sheppard and I have a hard time picturing Sheppard firing him.

I don’t want Portis back. I do want to bring back Jabari Parker. He was productive in his 25 games here and he has room to improve. Can he be productive on defense, lower his turnovers, while continuing the shot creating ability he displayed? Give him a two year deal, we really have nothing to lose. 

3 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

I don’t want Portis back. I do want to bring back Jabari Parker. He was productive in his 25 games here and he has room to improve. Can he be productive on defense, lower his turnovers, while continuing the shot creating ability he displayed? Give him a two year deal, we really have nothing to lose. 

You had me nodding at the first sentence and shaking my head at the second.  Parker is better than Portis, but that's a low bar.  The shot creativity isn't enough to offset the defensive issues for me.  I believe that defensive performance is heavily dependent on culture and talent.  It's not like offense where one or two guys can basically carry you and elevate everyone else.  When you start stacking up players in your front court who are hopeless and soft on defense, it digs a hole that you can't climb out of.

When you look at that Toronto rotation that just took down the Warriors, you won't find a single soft defender.  That front court is full of defensive beasts and the guards are junk yard dogs.  I want us to get out of the habit of collecting front court gunners that can't play defense.  We're already pushing it by banking on Robinson and Hachimura, hoping that they'll grow into their potential on defense in time.  I just don't see any potential to become a good defender in Parker.  He doesn't take it seriously.  His knees are shot.  He's gotten way too heavy.  He never really showed signs of being good on that end before.  He has a gunner's mentality and he's already made way too much money given what he's accomplished in his career to date.  Having a player like him in the rotation is a straw that breaks the camel's back for an already crappy defense, and I don't want his bad habits setting the tone for our culture.

I want to find some veteran grinders for the defense, even if they can't create a shot.  I would much, much rather bring back Ariza than Parker.  It'll be good for Rui's development too.

I would try and poach Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Ed Davis from the Brooklyn Nets.  Both are coming off down seasons, and I think they could be bargains.  And both are dogged defensive players who can really help us on that side of the court.  I think Davis could sit on the free agent market for a while and you might be able to get him with a vet min contract or a BAE.  And I think Hollis-Jefferson might be signed for the MLE.

I'd also look into trading for Willie Cauley-Stein if Sacramento brings him back.  That's not a happy situation and they would presumably be looking to deal him.  He's crazy as Hell, so the personality fit might not be right.  But his size and lateral speed are top notch and he has the ability to be a Kenyon Martin-like defensive player.  If you can find the key to unlocking his personality and potential, then he could end up being really good.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You had me nodding at the first sentence and shaking my head at the second.  Parker is better than Portis, but that's a low bar.  The shot creativity isn't enough to offset the defensive issues for me.  I believe that defensive performance is heavily dependent on culture and talent.  It's not like offense where one or two guys can basically carry you and elevate everyone else.  When you start stacking up players in your front court who are hopeless and soft on defense, it digs a hole that you can't climb out of.

I view Parker as a bench gunner. Lou Williams, probably the best sixth man in the league who also plays zero defense, is making around $8M/yr. That is incredible value for a team if they can mask the defensive deficiencies of a player, while gaining from their high-level offensive production. I think Parker's value is somewhere in the range, especially if he can slightly reduce his turnover rate. If we were a playoff bound team, I would value him around $12M, but in our current state, we should offer him between 8-10M/yr.

One of the biggest issues we had in the Wall/Beal era, when this team played high quality defense with Ariza, Nene etc., was that the moment Wall and Beal were on the bench, this teams offense would instantly go in the gutter. Like borderline-league worst atrocious offensive bench production, which has really been a staple of Wizards teams going back to the Arenas/Butler/Jamison years.

I want to give Parker a two or three year deal to see: (A) how he develops over a full season with this squad because he played well in his 25 games with this team, and (b) if Wall returns as a valuable player, Parker can serve as a valuable 6th man who takes the pressure off the starters. Sato/Parker would instantly be a bench that keeps this team productive offensively and you can find high quality defenders/rebounders in the draft and lower end of FA to mask Parker's bad defense.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1

Outside of Beal, there is no one else on the roster who can create their own shot.  Bringing Parker back is a no brainer.  2/24 or 3/36 (or 45) should probably get it done.  Let Sato/Portis walk, re-sign Parker/Bryant and nab a FA PG like Corey Joseph.  That would be a fairly successful start to the FA period. 

• Thanks 1

Man, listen...

I will not get excited about Shep...I will not get excited about Shep...I will not get excited about Shep...

Shep doing this job w/ a chip on his shoulder...and that's OK.  Dude doing EVERYTHING in his power to show he's not as stupid as EG.  Off to a hell of a start so far. 

• Thanks 1