Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

3 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Elite talent is objective. Yes. That doesn’t make them elite basketball players. The 3 at the top have proven they have elite talent & elite college production. 

Yes, your point is irrational. 

It's not irrational, you jus disagree with me.  New Orleans had a lower chance of getting the number 1 pick, yet they jumped 6 spots and we dropped 3.  Those numbers are too close to each other to gamble on, and I've already made a thread on how research has pushed for having a competent front office over a litany of lottery picks you have no clue what to do with.

Team Lottery Odds
New York 14.0%
Cleveland 14.0%
Phoenix 14.0%
Chicago 12.5%
Atlanta 10.5%
Washington 9.0%
New Orleans 6.0%
Memphis* 6.0%

18 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

It's not irrational, you jus disagree with me.  New Orleans had a lower chance of getting the number 1 pick, yet they jumped 6 spots and we dropped 3.  Those numbers are too close to each other to gamble on, and I've already made a thread on how research has pushed for having a competent front office over a litany of lottery picks you have no clue what to do with.

Team Lottery Odds
New York 14.0%
Cleveland 14.0%
Phoenix 14.0%
Chicago 12.5%
Atlanta 10.5%
Washington 9.0
New Orleans 6.0%
Memphis* 6.0%

No, your argument is not rational. If we had landed the #1 pick you’d not be making the same argument, thus, it’s irrational.

Just now, volsmet said:

No, your argument is not rational. If we had landed the #1 pick you’d not be making the same argument, thus, it’s irrational.

You dont know me well enough to be putting words in my mouth, I've been against tanking for a long time.  Especially us since we cant develop talent to save our life anyway risking wasting the pick.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You dont know me well enough to be putting words in my mouth, I've been against tanking for a long time.  Especially us since we cant develop talent to save our life anyway risking wasting the pick.

I know you used the lottery results as an argument v tanking, which it’s not. Your argument here was irrational, that doesn’t mean your underlying beliefs aren’t rational. Hopefully that clears things up for you.

On 4/4/2019 at 9:03 AM, Renegade7 said:

I feel you, just said my piece on tanking and believe NBA has already decided he's going to the knicks. No way they let us get that pick.

Ah, rational, conspiracy theories. My apologies, you were correct, I hope Zion enjoys NY. 

giphy.gif

• Confused 1

Tanking got neutered.  The team that one the first overall pick had a better record than we did and didn't tank.  Neither did Memphis and they leapfrogged us too.  And certainly the Lakers didn't tank.  Meanwhile the teams that tanked shamelessly ended up three, five, six, and nine.

• Thanks 1

Thoughts on the draft:

Rui is not a bad choice, though I really wanted Doum. He isnt as tall as Doum, but at the very least he has real size and the frame to play the 4. I see him as a bigger version of Oubre. Make that what you will.

However!!!

How can you go into the draft and pick a guy who you never interviewed or worked out, yet talk about how you werent interested in a guy like Bol Bol because of his attitude/interview? This is the most important day of a GM's job, and the man goes all in on a guy who they never even talked to? There is just no way an interim gm would take that kind of risk. Its stupid. its insane really. Clearly this was  a marketing/business decision from the top. 

As for admiral: we needed a 3 for sure, but I think we could have found one in FA. There are plenty of vets that can play there. Would have much rather tried for Bruno or Bol Bol. We are building for 2021. Thats our last shot with the Wall/Beal core. We dont put up that year, its curtains.

Going forward:

1. Im offering Jabari Parker a new contract and designating him the starter at the 4 for now, with the end goal of being a 6th man.

2. Bring Sato back on a 2 year deal.

3. Get Tacko Fall in the building NOW!!! You cant teach size or defense. His shooting is garbage. But we need a big man that can bang. He's the guy. Do it now and bring him along slowly.

Sato/?

Beal/?

Simmons/Admiral

Parker/Hachimmura

Howard?/Bryant/Fall

Who led the past nba champions:

Leonard - Toronto traded an all star for a guy who missed the previous season. To win this title Toronto required a nice bounce v a very flawed team that built through top 3 picks ...& needed a Durant injury. They took on a huge risk and nearly lost to a tank-built team & needed fluke injuries to a team led by a #2 overall pick.

Durant - Golden State, the #2 pick in his draft.

Durant - Golden State, the #2 pick in his draft.

Lebron - Cleveland, the #1 pick in his draft.

Curry - Golden State. Golden state needed injuries to #1 overall pick Kyrie & to Kevin Love in order to sneak by a team who was left with Delly as their 2nd best player.

Leonard - San Antonio  ... with #1 overall pick Tim Duncan.

Lebron - Miami along with Wade & Bosh, two more top 5 picks.

Lebron - Miami along with Wade & Bosh, two more top 5 picks.

Dirk - Dallas. #9 overall pick over the #1 pick. Incidentally, the league mvp was Rose, the #1 overall pick in his draft.

Lakers - Kobe the generational HS talent who left HS before taking youngsters was as popular. His 2nd best player was a top 3 pick.

Lakers - Kobe Even on this team, the 2nd & 3rd best players were selected 3rd and 4th in their draft classes. In this final the Lakers beat a team led by #1 overall pick, Dwight Howard.

Boston - put together a team of proven all stars.

Spurs - Duncan #1 overall, Robinson #1 overall

Heat - Wade #5 overall pick with Shaq #1 overall & Walker #6.

Spurs- Duncan #1 overall, Robinson #1 overall

Pistons - Billups #3 overall, Hamilton #7 overall, Wallace #4 overall. They beat Shaq #1 overall & Kobe

Spurs - Duncan #1 overall, Robinson #1 overall

Lakers- Shaq #1 overall 

Lakers - Shaq #1 overall 

Lakers - Shaq #1 overall 

Spurs - Duncan #1 overall, Robinson #1 overall

Bulls - Jordan

Bulls - Jordan

Bulls - Jordan

Houston - Hakeem #1 overall

Houston - Hakeem #1 overall

Bulls - Jordan 

Bulls - Jordan

Bulls - Jordan

Pistons - Isaiah Thomas #2 overall

Pistons - Isaiah Thomas #2 overall

Lakers - Magic Johnson #1 overall

Lakers - Magic Johnson #1 overall

If you think the path to a title is not through elite draft picks, you should be institutionalized. If I make an argument, it’s because it’s correct. Set your feelings aside, facts are what they are.

giphy.gif

Edited by volsmet

44 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

That's a bad thing?

Antawn Jamison is the embodiment of the softness and zero talent/effort on defense culture that we had in the Grunfeld era.  I believe that selling out for offense all the time, and failing to build a defensive foundation, is what held us back from ever making the step from 45 win mid-seed to 50+ win high-seed.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Why aren't y'all talking about Corey Davis?

From the one game I saw him play in last year, he seems to at least have a good motor and decent IQ. 

We signed so many undrafted guys that I can't keep them straight.  I'm probably just going to wait until Summer League before I sit down and try and figure out what we got on that end.

• Like 1

Ah, yes, to obliterate the geniuses who say Reddish stinks ... yet like Uri. 

🙂

Uri’s sophomore stats in the stacked WCC:

017-18 Gonzaga WCC 37 2 20.7 4.3 7.6 .568 4.2 6.9 .606 0.1 0.7 .192 2.8 3.6 .795 1.3 3.4 4.7 0.6 0.5 0.5 1.2 2.0 11.6   2.59

Uri’s freshman stats in the loaded WCC:

Season School Conf G GS MP FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS   SOS
2016-17 Gonzaga WCC 28 0 4.6 1.0 1.9 .528 0.9 1.4 .615 0.1 0.5 .286 0.5 0.9 .542 0.4 0.9 1.4 0.1 0.2 0.1 0.3 0.6 2.6   4.1

tenor.gif?itemid=4936718

33 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Rui is not a bad choice, though I really wanted Doum. He isnt as tall as Doum, but at the very least he has real size and the frame to play the 4. I see him as a bigger version of Oubre. Make that what you will. 

Maybe it's the hair, but I got that vibe too.  However Hachimura is a lot more efficient than Oubre was.  He's a better finisher in traffic.  Much more confident with the off hand and I would say he is legitimately creative with the way he drives the basket, like a European player.

I have a ton of respect for your takes, but aside from bringing back Sato, I don't like that plan you proposed.  I want Jabari Parker gone ASAP because I think that kid is a loser who doesn't value defense at all.  I would rather give Hachimura all of his minutes and take our lumps with him as he develops his feel for the game and develops his range.  Taco Fall is interesting, but I don't know if he has the legs to play in the NBA.  I don't know that he can run the floor for more than like 10 minutes a night.

- I think we need to accept that Thomas Bryant is coming back, and that he's going to be the guy getting almost all of the center minutes.  Let's hope he gets a lot better feel for protecting the rim.

- I think we might bring Portis back.  If we continue with the youth movement from last season, then him + Hachimura + Bryant is probably the majority of your 4 and 5 minutes.  They're not going to be able to guard anyone.  But if we're using next year as a learning experience, then I don't hate that scenario.  We simply don't have the money to go out and get a really good defensive anchor like Cauley-Stein or DeAndre Jordan in free agency.

- I agree about Tomas, bringing him back is a must IMO.  He should be playing like 35 minutes a night hopefully.

I disagree that Hachimura wasn't Tommy Sheppard's call.  In my view, this decision (and the Schofield pick as well) was very revelatory of Sheppard's style and philosophy.  In terms of personality, Hachimura is cut from the same cloth as Bryant and Sato.  He has no ego and is very high effort.  Fred Katz told an interesting anecdote on his podcast that Rui didn't even know what the term "high maintenance" meant (he just started learning English three years ago).  The concept is literally foreign to him.  Sheppard is a sunny, low maintenance personality and I think he's filling out the team with like-minded players.  He's making a very concerted effort to put his own cultural stamp on the team.

31 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Antawn Jamison is the embodiment of the softness and zero talent/effort on defense culture that we had in the Grunfeld era. 

Jamison had to play the 4 with the Wiz, but in his prime he was more of a 3. 

He was never going to enforce the paint or bang underneath.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Signed to a 2 way last night. Stroke is pure. Moves well without the ball to set up catch & shoot opportunities. Very Klay-esque offensively.

He likes that left free throw line extended spot.  My guess is that he's probably not much of a defensive player judging from the way he'd freelance around in the few plays they showed of him on that side of the court.

What a lively game that must have been.  The NIT is a fun tournament.

Did you all see that there were 28 media outlets from Japan at the draft last night?

The pressure that Rui Hachimura must be under is unbelievable.  It's a little reminiscent of when Yao Ming entered the league.

And we're about to be under a really uncomfortable microscope.  I have a bad feeling we're about to make a nation of 125 million people hate us.

They can keep drafting high energy and effort guys but you need a coaching staff that actually gets them to play defense.

The best coach this team has had in the last two decades is Randy Wittman, who actually got this team to play defense, especially in the playoffs. We downgraded from Wittman to Brooks, as implausible as it seemed at the time Brooks was hired.

Brooks should've been gone, right along with Grunfeld. This team's effort on the defensive end took a major nosedive under him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, No Excuses said:

They can keep drafting high energy and effort guys but you need a coaching staff that actually gets them to play defense.

The best coach this team has had in the last two decades is Randy Wittman, who actually got this team to play defense, especially in the playoffs. We downgraded from Wittman to Brooks, as implausible as it seemed at the time Brooks was hired.

Brooks should've been gone, right along with Grunfeld. This team's effort on the defensive end took a major nosedive under him.

I will never understand how that man got 7mil per year

6 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

I will never understand how that man got 7mil per year

I don't think this teams front office ever did proper due diligence on players or coaches, and I have a feeling it might be a problem with the trainers/medical staff too (this might be a stretch but if its a problem in some obvious areas, it might be in some non-obvious ones too). Did Ernie ever bother to find out how Brooks would mesh with the roster, what his philosophy would be on defense vs. offense? We had a pretty good defensive system under Wittman, why did that nosedive this badly?

It's why I think it's concerning that they never brought in a player with a great skillset but minimal playing experience in his lifetime for interviews or workouts. If there is a player you want to be working out, it is the kid who grew up in a non-basketball playing country and who only has a few years of collegiate experience under his belt.

This teams approach to doing things never passes the smell test, and the people who should be following the stink (local media) are god-awful at covering this team.

Edited by No Excuses