Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

4 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

all this movement happening in the offseason, very reassuring the wizards have the model of front office stability at the moment

Wizards have zero cap space and just one draft pick, in a far less than ideal position..  If there was ever a time that a front office could endure an extended candidate search it’s the wizards right now.  So long as Ted finds a person that changes the culture and believes this team can be great, it’s worth the wait.  

It seems every decision Ted makes concerning the front office takes longer than it should.

• Like 2

The AD trade is awesome for the Wiz. Start taking all offers for Beal now. There are plenty of teams that missed out on AD that will pony up for Beal. 

It sucks the Wiz have no GM in place. They should be really active right now. 

20 minutes ago, Destino said:

Wizards have zero cap space and just one draft pick, in a far less than ideal position..  If there was ever a time that a front office could endure an extended candidate search it’s the wizards right now.  So long as Ted finds a person that changes the culture and believes this team can be great, it’s worth the wait.  

It seems every decision Ted makes concerning the front office takes longer than it should.

It’s extended long enough. At this point, given the possibility of moving Beal for a complete rebuild, the Wiz should be taking offers. They should also be taking offers to help team with Cap relief if Parker’s contract can be used for that. 

• Like 1

What would the third overall pick be worth to New Orleans, a team that suddenly finds themselves ****ing FLUSH with draft capital?

Reason I ask, is because trading Beal to the Knicks for #3 and a haul suddenly seems like the kind of move that could cascade into a mega-haul if you make a secondary deal with New Orleans.

Beal is one of the best isolation scorers in the league and thus I don't think people realize he has very little impact on wins and losses.  His trade value is probably higher than his real value.  Especially for a team that's trying to form up a super team by luring free agents, like say, the Knicks.  New York could get desperate to lure Kemba or Kyrie or Kawhi, and they could feel that making a big trade for Beal is how they convince them to sign.

Then you turn around and suss out New Orleans's interest in doing a pick swap for RJ Barrett and try and pry extra assets out of them.  Some of those future unprotecteds and swaps are mighty appealing.

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

How tf can teams like the Lakers, Warriors and Celtics pay these mega contracts to multiple players, but we are apparently screwed forever because John Wall has a big deal.

The NBA makes 0 sense to me.

It's cause EG was terrible at managing the cap and threw tons of money at bad players or players not worth what the Wiz gave them. So it's not Wall's contract in a vacuum but the reason Wall's contract is a big deal is that he hasn't actually won anything and he's coming off a major injury which could drastically reduce his effectiveness. 

Think about this, Golden State spent $25 million per over the last few years on Iggy and Livingston. Two guys that contributed a ton to their championship run. The Wiz spent $21 million last season on Howard and Mahinmi. This has been a reoccurring theme with the Wiz. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

That ability to score off the dribble is freakish for a player his size.

I've become convinced that the way to have the best draft possible is to get a second late lottery pick and draft both Bol and Clarke.  That would create the foundation for defense that we need to build upon, plus give us potent low post scoring options for a guard like Wall.

there's so much to like about Bol, but even when listing his strengths, they were all qualified with some variation of "when he's motivated"

we don't really do motivation around these parts. of course all this would be easier to analyze if we had a GM. that guy's philosophy will drive how we build the team and whether we're willing to take shots on players like Bol.

We need a legit veteran voice in the locker room like Paul Pierce to hold these guys accountable. JW is not that guy. Beal....maybe, still remains to be seen, but the guys play better with him ("everybody eats"). The last thing Bol needs is to be around a half ass loser like Dwight.

• Like 1

Didn't Bol have a foot injury? I don't trust guys that big who have foot injuries. I'm willing to bet it happens again.

I'd be okay with Hachimura. A big guy who can shoot and rebound, play good defense. Cam Reddish seems to have skills, I just don't know much about his game or defense. He seemed erratic and lazy at times from what I saw.  I sort of wouldn't mind Bruno Fenando, not sure he is worth #9 though. I big strong guy with a huge motor and who plays with passion. When's the last time the Wizards had one of those players?

I really want to get excited about this team. It's just so hard. They need to start building.

I think Hachimura's defense might be overrated.  I think it was more that he played fairy good defense in the context of a great team defense.  But a lot of their success was due to Brandon Clarke's brilliance as a defender.  Clarke is the one from that group that I want.  Instincts and toughness and explosiveness like his are uncoachable.  He's a hungry player.

Not a Cam Reddish fan at all.  The natural talent is pretty good, certainly a lot better than what he showed last year at Duke.  But I wouldn't pick a guy in the lottery who is coming off a crap one and done season when the athleticism isn't even that special to begin with.  If someone picks him and he pans out big, I'll tip my cap to them, because they can see future growth far better than I can.

Putting this out there that I'm not a fan of the UNC guys either.  I think there are several better options for us.

I'm cooling on Hayes a little bit.  I still like him for us, I think he's a potential Jarrett Allen type post presence.  That's a very high value piece of the puzzle.  But I don't love that he's not a great rebounder, and I find myself preferring the greater offensive skill set of Bol and Clarke.  Hayes truly is just a catch and dunk rim runner.  I see Bol put the ball on the ground and score off the dribble in a multitude of ways and I'm absolutely blown away.  Bol might be a lazy underachiever, but Hayes will never be able to score like Bol already can.  Bol's offensive skills give him Kristaps Porzingis type upside.  He could end up being a top ten player if he reaches his ceiling.

But as I think everyone here has stated well, his flags are very worrisome.  The laziness and uncoachability.  The very high cut build, with slender legs.  The low playing weight coupled with surprisingly high body fat percentage leaving him with almost no functional strength.  The foot injury.  But these are the reasons he might be there at nine instead of going second overall.  In my mind, he's definitely the second most talented player in the class.

My favorite scenario has become to pick Bol and hedge our bets by getting another pick and drafting Brandon Clarke.  Clarke is a safe pick IMO.  And I think he's got the kind of skill set at PF to compensate for a lot of Bol's issues, and compliment Bol's strengths.  He's such an explosive finisher and he can finish those slick pocket passes Bol makes.  He can take advantage of the space in the paint that Bol's natural shooting range creates.  And he can weak side help and cover up defensive mistakes.  I see the two of them as an ideal front court pairing that can give you plus offense from the tandem, elite rim protection and switching defense, and strong rebounding.

We need to find a way to get another late lottery pick.

Bol successfully manages double teams and traps and finds the right outlet, demonstrating a rare ability to make skip passes and kick outs for a 7 footer.  That height and basketball IQ give him special floor vision.  You are not going to find one and done freshmen who handle doubles as well as him very often.  That is superstar offensive player type stuff.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Also, what's the deal with Jabari Parker... Is he on a club option?

It's a 20 million team option.

It might be the third cup of coffee getting to me, but I feel like this team could be in good shape with the right GM in 2 years.  Tons of cap coming off the books this year.  If Wall can return as a solid, borderline all star player, and if Beal can take another step foward, we'll have essentially swapped Wall and Beal's value to the team (at least nearly swapped. I mean depending on how well Wall recovers, Beal is already a solid number 2 on a contender.)  We'll have nearly 40 mil in cap space in 2020-21.  

If we trade Beal for a haul, we'll have a ton of cap flexibility in 2020-21 and assets.  The key will be drafting well in the next few years to either draft or attract a third superstar.  Even bigger key is to not hand out dumbass contracts like Mahinmi.  Since we're unlikely to land a superstar free agent, we need to draft really well (thank you Captain Obvious).  

• Thanks 1