Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Actually I think ten was the worst possible outcome.  One more team could have leapfrogged us.  But this is pretty rough.

Yours isn't a bad plan.  I think the Texas kid and the French kid are both looking into for sure.  But if we can move down and go after Brandon Clarke, pick up a late first and draft Matisse Thybulle, then that could go a long way towards adding the talent to fix our trash defense.

Probably could buy a couple second round picks from Atlanta cause they have 5 I think. Not a good draft to do it but need some bodies and the more assets the better 

10 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Makes perfect sense...

I don't know how they calculated those odds, but if that's accurate, that is pretty brutal.

The Caps and now the Redskins used up all of this city's karma in the past calendar year.  The Wizards and Nats died for them.

6 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

This franchise is has a Grunfeld stain... And somewhere he's smiling.

Does this kid have any Giannis in him whatsoever?  Or is that just totally crazy and too good to be true?

Well, this is the perfect storm for Ted.

• Refused to tank
  • They played Beal so much that he'll probably end up qualifying for that supermax whatever
  • The talk of no Buck on the call
  • No GM right now
  • Wall gone until probably 2020-2021....and no idea what he'll be there.

This is the chance to really blow it up with the exception of being stuck with Wall's deal. ****, I don't know how often teams trade back in the NBA for more picks. But with no 2nd rounders for the next 100 years, do it. Hell, maybe even move Beal. Stink real bad for a while and get through the bad deals they are stuck with. Nobody is going to pay attention for a while anyway. You know Ted wants to change the name to the Monuments to match their ball logo and his network. Do it all. Rip that bandaid off.

37 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

No GM right now

If we can luck into Tim Connelly, then I'll feel a whole lot better about our future despite everything awful thing that's happened in the last two years.  Management is everything in the NBA.

But good things don't happen to us.  I don't really believe that he's going to abandon everything good that he built in Denver to come to our mess of a franchise.

• Like 1

ESPN has us taking Sekou Doumbaya at 9. Hayes & Clarke were still on the board

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If we can luck into Tim Connelly, then I'll feel a whole lot better about our future despite everything awful thing that's happened in the last two years.  Management is everything in the NBA.

But good things don't happen to us.  I don't really believe that he's going to abandon everything good that he built in Denver to come to our mess of a franchise.

fully expecting Ed Tapscott to be named GM now

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Haha 1

Hear me out.  Isn't there a chance, not a guarantee, but a chance, that eight teams pass on Zion?  What we need to do is hire someone learned in the ways of the force and pull a Jedi mind trick on the rest of the NBA.  "This is not the player you're looking for"  Then Zion drops to 9, problem solved.  I know it's a long shot, but maybe there's a 3.8% chance?  

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I want to laugh, but that feels terrifyingly possible.

David Alridge brought his name up in his article on the Athletic. Granted it was more of a personal plea because he's biased towards Tapscott for helping him out as a young reporter, but still

Tim Connelly built Denver off back end lottery and later draft picks

we really need to get him locked up so i can feel better about this madness

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

ESPN has us taking Sekou Doumbaya at 9. Hayes & Clarke were still on the board 

I'm sitting here feverishly searching his highlights on youtube to see if he does any of Giannis's moves.

Pretty much grasping at straws for something positive.

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm sitting here feverishly searching his highlights on youtube to see if he does any of Giannis's moves.

Pretty much grasping at straws for something positive.

Strengths
- Excellent physical profile for a modern combo forward at 6-foot-9 with an 8-11 standing reach, giving him the tools to easily play either forward spot. After donning extra weight in the past, he's done a great job of getting in the best shape of his life, looking much more capable of playing on the wing. Fluid athlete who loves to run the lanes in transition. Big reach and leaping ability allow him to hammer home dunks in space. 

- Versatile defender who can check positions 1-4 when fully engaged. Flies around for blocks (1.1 per 40) and steals (1.7) when he's revved up. Can cover ground impressively on closeouts. Tools allow him to have an impact on the glass. 

- More untapped skill than most defensive-minded forwards in the NBA. Soft touch from 3 when disciplined with his mechanics. Gets great rotation. Shooting a career-best 30.3 percent from 3 on 4.9 attempts per 40. Can push in transition on occasion. Doesn't turn 19 until Dec. 23. 

Improvement areas
- Doesn't have the most natural feel for the game. High, loose handle without much vision off the dribble (more turnovers than assists every season). Shot selection leaves much to be desired. 

- Erratic shooter who often lofts the ball up on the rim with incredible arc, not staying in his shot with a follow-through. Career 28 percent shooter from 3 on over 260 attempts. Doesn't have great shot preparation. Flat-footed, lazy stroke at times. Needs to become more consistent to add value in the half-court offense. 

- Inconsistent with his energy levels. Imposes his physical gifts on the game some nights, yet looks lethargic and uninterested others. Level of focus wavers. Lacks fundamentals and discipline on the defensive end. Needs to clean up his technique to fully tap into his defensive potential. 

all the caveats kinda scare me: "when fully engaged" "when disciplined"

only 18 years old though

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

I think they should commit to a full rebuild if they get a great offer for Beal. With this draft, I think the best offer they’d get would be the 4th pick plus Kuzma or something from the Lakers. It would be a lot easier to commit to if there was no John Wall contract but it is what it is.

Conversely, they could trade with Boston, 9 for 14 and 22. But, that would probably end up helping Boston get AD. A good GM hire with multiple picks could be a better way to retool. Probably only works if they get the GM from Denver but I think collecting draft capital is a smart decision for a team with not a lot of pieces locked in place. Cheap talent/upside is gonna be needed.

It’ll be a very interesting offseason. New GM better be hired within the week to get started scouting.