Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Wizards should have done an Oakland Raiders. Trade all their assets for number 1s and enter next year's draft with three or four first rounders, plus their own high one. I don't really follow the NBA to know if this is a good trade, but if I believe you guys the chief benefit is that the Wiz got out of an expensive contract. That suggests to me that the trade may save some cash, but is actually moving the team backwards in the long run.

I don’t blame Ted for not wanting to pay tax.  Would you want to pay tax for this horrible team?  Hell.  No.  I blame him for keeping Grunfeld though and the bad front office in general.  

Theres really no guarantee the Wizards are good again any time soon.  They could tank and end up like the near permanent bottom dwellers.  There are untold years of bad basketball ahead of us.  The team was a third star from making noise and Ernie pissed it all away.  Hard to stomach this situation.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Destino said:

I don’t blame Ted for not wanting to pay tax.  Would you want to pay tax for this horrible team?  Hell.  No.  I blame him for keeping Grunfeld though and the bad front office in general.  

Theres really no guarantee the Wizards are good again any time soon.  They could tank and end up like the near permanent bottom dwellers.  There are untold years of bad basketball ahead of us.  The team was a third star from making noise and Ernie pissed it all away.  Hard to stomach this situation.  

So sad, but true. The dark times are here my friends.

This is to you, Ernie.

0.jpg

We let ariza go because we had otto

We drafted, attempted to develop oubre, and ultimately traded him for Ariza

We've lost 2 young wings to carve out enough money to resign Ariza in his twilight years

This only makes sense to the 2 people in the world pulling the strings in this organization

• Like 1

In case anyone feels like congratulating Ernie on a job well done, consider that he traded Otto and Oubre, two first round picks, and all he got in return is expiring contracts.  Which is nothing.  No additional assets.  Nothing.  He’s the classic arsonist firefighter.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Destino said:

In case anyone feels like congratulating Ernie on a job well done, consider that he traded Otto and Oubre, two first round picks, and all he got in return is expiring contracts.  Which is nothing.  No additional assets.  Nothing.  He’s the classic arsonist firefighter.  

Add 2013 to the list of drafts we got nothing out of, a year when we picked #3 overall no less.

The list also includes 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017.

3 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

This only makes sense to the 2 people in the world pulling the strings in this organization

This mad cap attempt from Ernie to save himself and save Ted money has killed my fandom.  The opportunity cost of the moves he has made over the last five years has been staggering.  I want those years of my life back.  This franchise is pathetic and unworthy of fan support.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

Tobias Harris better 2 1s and 2 2s, and he is an expiring contract. Otto is under contract for 3 more years, and we got 2 expirings and a pick in the next decade. It’s a ****ing horrendous trade pulled off by the worst GM in ALL OF SPORTS.  

It's such an awful trade.  Traded off one of the five best three and D wings in the NBA for expirings in order to carve out room to keep a lesser, 33 year old version of him that we had and let walk three years ago to make room in the line up for Otto.

In case anyone was unclear, the interest in Conley/Gasol is revelatory of our FO's mindset right now.  Ernie is making a desperate push to get below and the tax line and and still have enough to get the 8 seed and he's willing to give up future assets to do it.

These are not tank moves.  And if an offer for Mike Conley happened after the Otto trade, the only way we could have realistically salary matched was by offering Wall or Beal.  They would have laughed at a Mahinmi/Morris offer.

1 minute ago, Popeman38 said:

Ernie has now traded away 2nd round picks in 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, & 2023. How the **** is he still employed?????

That's insane.

as for the Ariza rumors. **** that. Trade him, Beal, anybody else.

I'd rather see the Capitol City Go-Go finish out this season anyway.

43 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Trying to re-sign Ariza and Jeff Green? WTF

lol.  Another hateful trade.  To be crystal clear about it: the Wizards traded a second round pick to dump an expiring contract to get under the luxury tax line.

They did this to get out of paying repeater tax so they can go back over it to retain the likes of Jeff Green and Trevor Ariza.

Awful decisions leading to more awful decision making.

Ted needs to fire Ernie immediately, not even to stop the bleeding, but to stop him from shooting us in the head.  He is pissing away our future.

EDIT: Decent sized expiring contracts like Keef's are assets.  We traded an asset to dump an asset.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Ted needs to fire Ernie immediately, not even to stop the bleeding, but to stop him from shooting us in the head.  He is pissing away our future.

If he had any intentions to do that he would have done it before he let him make the moves. Ernie is gonna be with the Wiz longer than you are. Accept that and it wont hurt as much. 

I'd love a breakdown history of all those second round picks we gave away. That's just mind-boggling. It's like the team doesn't want young talent. 

On the other hand, all of our draft picks the last two decades have sucked or have been traded away anyway. What a horrible franchise. 

• Thanks 1