Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Two way contract is new for the NBA as of this past season.  The player is contracted to play for both an NBA team and G League teams at the same time.  They play the G League season and then spend a couple months on your NBA roster.  The player doesn't count against the 15 man roster limit and I don't think their contract counts against your cap.

It's useful because it's basically a minor league development tool.  It lets you hang on to the rights of a prospect you like but can't create a roster spot for and assign him to the G League teams you want.  It's how we were able to control Devin Robinson's development this past season even though he went undrafted and couldn't make our regular roster.

I'm not sure if we can sign Devin Robinson to another two-way deal this year.  He's shown enough to get offers for a full roster spot from teams IMO.  So we'll need to sign him and that'll free up our two-way contract option for another player.

Ah ok I get it. And thanks for throwing in the part about it being relatively new lol. 

Makes me want to pay more attention to the G roster. 

Troy Brown has soft touch and he can finish with both hands.  He's got better scoring tools than I expected.  The downhill attacker's mentality is a really good foundation for his offense.  Very aggressive and when he gets his man strength, he's going to be a load around the rim.  But you have to balance that with the midrange and spot up shooting game if you want to keep NBA defenses from overplaying your strength.

He's got the beginning of a mid range game.  That ball handling is pretty nice.  And the catch and shoot game will come.  Probably not this season, but it will eventually be there.

I watch his game and I see Boy Iguodala.  I think he's going to get very strong.  Not the same vertical athlete as Iggy, but so many other similarities.  The physicality and ability to finish through contact, the instincts, the confident handle and ability to attack the rim while keeping his head up and still seeing the floor are there.

I liked that point about him being the future of the Wizards one day.  Crazy to think he's almost ten years younger than John.  Time flies man.

John was the foundation for our prosperity as an organization.  If we're able to build a sustainable winner through the draft like the Capitals did, it's all thanks to getting lucky and moving up to #1 in 2010.  John dragged us out of the cellar and was the start of something good.  It's a damn shame that we utterly wasted the first five or so years of his career.  I really hope that he's able to be a part of some 50 and even 60 win teams here.  And nothing would be better than the onset of an era of parity where he could win a championship with us and cement his legacy as the greatest Wizard like Isiah Thomas did at the end of his career with the Pistons.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2018 at 6:40 PM, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I thought this was a pretty bad article.  The perspective is just off.  Comes across as pretty clueless:

1 - John was hurt at the beginning of last season and played hurt through February until it was literally no longer realistic for him to play through his injury.

2 - Trading Gortat saved like 1 million in cap room.  It wasn't about the cap, it was about dumping an aging useless player and locker room cancer and, as a bonus, we got back someone Wall had enjoyed working out with.

3 - Only know-nothings ever thought the team was actually better without John.  It was never a serious take and it shouldn't even be repeated by a sports journalist.

4 - The team will absolutely not stretch Mahinmi because it would be moronic to do so.  Merely mentioning turning a two year cap commitment into a five year one just to dump a player who is still a useful back up--capable of full time starting--suggests that Bontemps is throwing **** at the wall.

5 - Wall was a ****ing beast in the playoffs and he was still out of shape.  Wall didn't regress from the prior season, he was just injured.

6 - Citing the loss of Kelly due to him receiving "a lucrative offer" is a ridiculous reason to speculate regression.  First, he's like our fifth or sixth most important player now.  But here's how that game plays out: if Kelly doesn't make big strides, then he's not getting any kind of offer from anyone but us in this market.  Clint Capela has received offers from exactly one team this summer--Houston.  He is a way better free agent.  Nobody is doling out anything at all for a ****ing 10.4 career PER small forward.  But say Kelly does make gigantic strides, then that probably means we're going to be a great team and, with everyone but the core 3 and Mahinmi coming off the books this offseason, we'll have the money to keep him.

Bontemps comes across like he watched fewer than ten of our games last season and has barely looked at our payroll.  He's years behind a thoughtful perspective of the team.  I am so tired of the half-assed coverage we get.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I thought this was a pretty bad article.  The perspective is just off.  Comes across as pretty clueless:

1 - John was hurt at the beginning of last season and played hurt through February until it was literally no longer realistic for him to play through his injury.

2 - Trading Gortat saved like 1 million in cap room.  It wasn't about the cap, it was about dumping an aging useless player and locker room cancer and, as a bonus, we got back someone Wall had enjoyed working out with.

3 - Only know-nothings ever thought the team was actually better without John.  It was never a serious take and it shouldn't even be repeated by a sports journalist.

4 - The team will absolutely not stretch Mahinmi because it would be moronic to do so.  Merely mentioning turning a two year cap commitment into a five year one just to dump a player who is still a useful back up--capable of full time starting--suggests that Bontemps is throwing **** at the wall.

5 - Wall was a ****ing beast in the playoffs and he was still out of shape.  Wall didn't regress from the prior season, he was just injured.

All I'll say to you is stay away from realgm.

They have some very "interesting" takes on John.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

A lot of good athletes struggle with the first pitch in fairness. If you didn't grow up throwing a baseball, it can be awkward.

Oh yea I get it. And you can look at the picture and see hes using his fingertips like it was a basketball. I have no idea how to properly throw a baseball but I know it's not like a basketball.

I just think it's funny that this superhuman throws like I do hahaha

Yea I have hella arm strength but I had to sacrifice my accuracy to get it. I dont think I could get it down the middle with 10k attempts. But I'm sure one if them would be around 80mph ig I tried hard enough. 

*I have absolutley no idea if I could actually throw anything 80pmh

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

John got a hit and scored a run.  I'm trying to get stats on Bill Nye and Scott Rogowski.

I saw that Shaq's big ass struck out.  I imagine he's got the biggest strike zone in softball history.

When's the last time Shaq said no to any appearance or promotion? he's like the sam jackson of commercials and appearances.

I'm reasonably certain I could get him to play me in a game of 2k if I said it was for a reasonably believable cause

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Haha 2

On 7/15/2018 at 10:42 AM, Warhead36 said:

A lot of good athletes struggle with the first pitch in fairness. If you didn't grow up throwing a baseball, it can be awkward.

Johnny Damon grew up throwing a baseball and it was awkward.  Probably the absolute worst arm I've ever seen in all my years watching baseball. 

Also, Brown reminds me more of Evan Turner than anything.  That's good value at #15 if he stays the course. 

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I can see elements of Evan Turner.  I think Brown is going to be far better though.  He's going to get to the line a lot more and I think he'll be a better shooter.  Turner came into the league at 22, whereas Brown is coming in at 18.

alots gonna be determined by how his dribble moves work against the kind of athletes that are current playing wing positions in the league now. if he develops the shot, it will open more versatility for getting to the rim. He has a great awareness of his own strengths and has a good feel for finishing around the basket. Overall, I'm optimistic on his prospects moving forward. Barring a trade or injury, I don't see him getting many meaningful minutes this year, but he also doesn't strike me as the type in which that would be a stunt to his growth as a player.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 2