Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/post/wizards-john-wall-moving-fast-scoring-big-in-las-vegas/2011/09/21/gIQA6UUclK_blog.html

“I just think the speed that he has is unmatched,” New York Knicks point guard Chauncey Billups, who matched up with Wall on Tuesday, scoring 38 points through the first three quarters. “Him and Derrick Rose, maybe.”

In three games in Las Vegas, Wall has displayed more confidence in his jumper, but he has mostly used his exceptional speed and athleticism to get to the basket for layups and dunks. Wall has put up some monstrous scoring performances, averaging 43.3 points, but he has yet to lead the Wizards’ “G team” to a win. He had 42 points in his debut and 41 the next night last week, but after Tuesday’s game, some veterans noted that Wall still has to learn how and when to use his quickness.

Billups used the game as an opportunity to pass along a few tricks of the trade to Wall. If Wall got around him off screens, Billups quickly grabbed his off hand to make sure that Wall couldn’t get off the shot, realizing that referees usually don’t make that call. If Wall played him closely on defense, Billups would grab his arm and use him as a springboard to move forward and break free for jumpers or layups. As Jordan Crawford put it, “Chauncey went vet on us and killed us.”

“I’m giving tips to John as we’re playing, knowing that it’s going to affect me, because I’ve got to guard him. But I’m trying to make him better, thinking and seeing the right things,” said Billups, who sat out the fourth quarter and let his teammates finish off the game as he rested a sore right ankle. “I’ve been a solid defender for some time, because of little tricks, being smart. It’s little things like that. He’s like yeah, ‘I got to get that.’ I’m not nowhere near fast as that young boy. But little tricks get you by. I’m like, ‘If you can get all that, with what you got? Trouble.’”

Billups continued: “I’m a big fan of John Wall, man,” Billups said. “So athletic, got a great understanding of the game. Wants to win. Listens. I think he’s going to be a great player. Shooting the ball a lot better. Getting confidence in his shot. I think he’s going to be a stud.

:)

I feel bad for those who will hop on the wagon when this team develops into something special and miss out on watching the development. Loved last year, looking forward to the future.

We've got something really special on this team finally.

Edited by No Excuses

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/post/wizards-john-wall-moving-fast-scoring-big-in-las-vegas/2011/09/21/gIQA6UUclK_blog.html

:)

I feel bad for those who will hop on the wagon when this team develops into something special and miss out on watching the development. Loved last year, looking forward to the future.

We've got something really special on this team finally.

Pot meet kettle!

As I've said a dozen times now, Wall will be the NBA's best PG since Zeke.

I'm beginning to believe this as well. Once he gets a hold of the jumpshot, what's stopping him? He can already pass at an elite level, and he's an excellent rebounder at the PG spot.

Derrick Rose gets a lot of hype, but Wall will be something completely new that the league hasn't seen in a while. I think he'll be as dominant as a scorer as he will be a facilitator.

Edited by No Excuses

It's hard enough to win with a PG as THE guy, it's literally impossible to win with a score-first PG. Iverson got the closest and i wouldn't put Rose at Iverson's level (not yet anyway). Wall will have a more successful career if we build around him correctly.

Wall is legit. I have no doubts in mind.

I had to look up who Zeke was :ols:

Magic actually retired later. And so did Stockton.

You gave away how much of an NBA fan you are right there with the Zeke comment... And Magic was retired and dealing with HIV while Isiah was finishing his run with the Pistons. Magic had already announced his retirement before the roster for Barcelona was announced. That little 32 game experiment in 95-96 was sad.

I think Isiah was much better than Stockton.

---------- Post added September-22nd-2011 at 07:04 PM ----------

Also, to this day, I don't like that Magic Johnson is considered a PG in the same category as the other All Time Greats like Cousy and Thomas, etc.

He's clearly something other than what they were. The guy played games at center for Christ's sake. He was a ball handling point forward. Does Pippen get consideration as a point guard?

Calling Magic the greatest point guard ever begs a million different questions, not the least of which is, well then what the hell constitutes a point guard?

Count me in a not having a clue as to wtf you all are talking about. I

know it's not Vishal's Wiz-fan credentials though.

Yeah it's not lol. I was talking to BLTO and it's some stupid inside joke reference from the random thought thread. Had me thinking wtf two fence pigeons are doing trying to enter in the big boys club.

Blatche, Singleton and N'Daiye leading us to the play offs!

BTW, I was thinking about this earlier. Say the new CBA has an amnesty clause to waive one crappy contract? Do we go ahead and waive Rashard and thrust the rookies Singleton/Vesely into the starting role?

Am I the only one who thinks it sas something about the respect Blatche gets that only two bench warmers are attending his workouts? Meanwhile you see Wall, NY, McGee and others tweeting each other about hooking up and putting some work in. You never see Blatche in those conversations.

Anyway, how many years left on Rashard's deal: 2 or 3?

(FTR, for the casual fan, the amnesty clause is called the "Allan Houston Rule". Just for future reference.)

Am I the only one who thinks it sas something about the respect Blatche gets that only two bench warmers are attending his workouts? Meanwhile you see Wall, NY, McGee and others tweeting each other about hooking up and putting some work in. You never see Blatche in those conversations.

Anyway, how many years left on Rashard's deal: 2 or 3?

2 years....but there's a buyout clause after this season.

Blatche, Singleton and N'Daiye leading us to the play offs!

BTW, I was thinking about this earlier. Say the new CBA has an amnesty clause to waive one crappy contract? Do we go ahead and waive Rashard and thrust the rookies Singleton/Vesely into the starting role?

That's a tough question. If you are going to pay him anyway I think you keep him. If only to expose a very young team to a guy that managed to stay in the league for 13 years. That kind of experience is valuable to a team that has literally no other examples of high level veterans.