Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

The entire set up of the NBA is stupid. No hard cap? Stupid... in fact anything at all that you have in common with baseball is going to be stupid. Baseball is absolute garbage in all things. Lottery balls like you're playing bingo? Stupid. Massive guaranteed contracts that haunt teams for half a decade? Stupid.

The NBA needs a hard cap and floor, rules that allow for contracts to be dumped, revenue sharing, and a draft that isn't ridiculous. I don't care if teams tank at all and never will.

http://www.sbnation.com/2011/9/13/2423254/nba-lockout-2011-david-stern-billy-hunter-talks

High hopes swirled heading into the latest NBA lockout talks on Tuesday in New York City, as the full NBA labor committee and National Basketball Players Association executive committee assembled to pick up where a smaller, more high-level group left off last week. But apparently, there will be no salvation for NBA fans any time.

At the end of a session that reached nearly six hours, NBPA vice president Roger Mason of the New York Knicks tweeted the bad news.

Just finished a long day of negotiations. Unfortunately we are No Where Near a deal! It's def disappointing!

NBPA director Billy Hunter continued the discouragement. From CBS Sports' Ken Berger:

Hunter: "The owners are unwilling to move off of the position on which they've anchored themselves."

Hunter also said that he is pessimistic that the 2011-12 season, slated to open on November 1, will begin on time.

A select group of the top officials from both sides met last week in New York, and a relative wealth of positive-seeming tea leaves had a number of reporters suggesting the season's start could be saved. With no further meetings scheduled as of yet, those rosey inclinations are sure to dry up.

@daldridgetnt

David Aldridge

Fisher: "..obv b/c of the calendar, we can't come out of this thinking that training camps and the season will start on time."

Edited by StillUnknown

Andray Blatche organizes workouts for Washington Wizards; 3 show up for first day

Wizards big man Andray Blatche isn't optimistic that the NBA season will start on time so he has decided to organize team workouts for his Washington Wizards.

On Monday, when the first of a scheduled week long workouts was held at a gym halfway between Baltimore and Washington, just three Wizards were on hand.

Blatche, who was joined by second-year player Hamady Ndiaye and rookie Chris Singleton, is hopeful that last year's No. 1 overall draft pick John Wall and forward Rashard Lewis will be on hand on Tuesday.

He had some unexpected competition when players decided to participate in the Las Vegas Impact League. Eight teams will play five-on-five games for two weeks. Several of the Wizards have opted for those workouts.

"Most of the guys live in LA — they were like 'too long of a flight,' "Blatche said. "A lot of the guys backed out at the last minute."

Blatche, 25, by far the most seniority of any Wizard. He's starting his seventh year. He was happy to have front court mates there on Monday. Blatche is 6-foot-11, Ndiaye is a seven-footer and Singleton is 6-foot-8.

"Even though a lot of guys didn't show up, there were a lot of bigs and forwards, and we had a chance to go at it," Blatche said. "It's our first get together. Hopefully — the next one — the whole team will be here."

---------- Post added September-15th-2011 at 02:47 AM ----------

Click on the link to read the rest.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/post/andray-blatche-i-have-to-make-changes/2011/09/10/gIQAMhF1HK_blog.html#pagebreak

Blatche: ‘I have to make changes

Andray Blatche wants to get it right this time. He has made pledges before about turning serious and getting attention for his accomplishments on the court rather than his missteps away from it. He changed his jersey number before his fifth season, but two years later, Blatche realized that the path toward maturity doesn’t come through empty promises.

After determining that he had yet to truly turn his potential into more than flirtations of production, Blatche has taken some steps toward getting better. He recently hired powerful agent Andy Miller after going without representation for all of what turned out to be a difficult season — even after he had secured a lucrative extension with the Wizards. And he also decided to separate himself from people who weren’t interested in his personal development.

Blatche has been more visible with his community projects this summer. He spent most of his offseason working out in Miami, with the hope that the results will be noticeable in the upcoming season.

“I’m 25 years old,” said Blatche, who celebrated his birthday last month with John Wall, Hamady Ndiaye, Josh Howard and Trevor Booker in South Beach. “I’ve been in the league six years now. I know my goal. I want to be an all-star. And to be an all-star, I have to make changes, and those are the changes that I have to make now.

“I took the time to cut back on some friends and some people, and built myself around better people that know what’s best for me,” he said. “I’m sorry that it took so long for me to realize it, but it’s all about growing and maturing and that’s basically what I’m doing.

Blatche is don't more than talking. This offseason it's been well reported that he's been DOING the right things. The problem with Blatche is that this is the NBA and at the end of the day he needs to rebound better and bring his FG% way up. The rest of it is nice but if you want to be an effective big you have to rebound well and score efficiently.

Some defense would be nice, but this is the NBA where you don't typically get scoring and terrific defense from one big man. When you do... superstar. lol

if there is no 2011-2012 NBA season, will there be another draft? If yes....is it based on the same lotto results or a whole new lotto?

I know its messed up to say, but a team looking to rebuild and get a lot of youth like Washington would benefit from having another early draft pick.

Edited by Buford

Its a marathon season so I think the league can survive a couple of missed games.

The public image of the league would be tarnished. Last season was one of the best NBA seasons in recent memory, if not the best. Ratings were at an all-time high and the casual fans were finally buying back in. A lockout would throw a lot of that away.

if there is no 2011-2012 NBA season, will there be another trade? If yes....is it based on the same lotto results or a whole new lotto?

I know its messed up to say, but a team looking to rebuild and get a lot of youth like Washington would benefit from having another early draft pick.

Next year's draft is absolutely stacked too.

And please my Wizards brothers, don't fall for Blatche's bull****. Not again. I beg you. For your sake. For your health and well being. It's a trap.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?334052-The-Official-Washington-Wizards-2010-2011-Season-Thread/page155

John Wall and JaVale McGee both joined the solid Wizards contingent at the Impact Basketball Competitive Training Series in Las Vegas on Wednesday, and the duo provided a solid inside-outside combination. But the G team — which also included Jordan Crawford, Rashard Lewis, Shelvin Mack and Larry Owens — lost, 122-115, to a team that featured Marreese Speights, Kyle Lowry, Corey Maggette and Jared Dudley.

Wall clearly put on a show, as he tallied 42 points, nine assists and eight rebounds. He has been showing off his speed, athleticism and hops all summer, so it wasn’t too surprising to see him throwing the ball off the backboard to himself for a dunk or using a sick crossover to send Coby Karl sliding off-balance. But he also appeared to pack an improved jump shot. According to tweets from the game, Wall made a three-pointer early and shouted, “Y’all better guard me.”

His jumper caught the attention of his opponent, Dudley, who wrote on his Twitter account after the game, “Great intense game vs @jimmywa11 and company!! We pulled out the Win in the end but John Wall jumper is looking nice!! Could get ugly nxt yr.”

McGee finished with 19 points and 10 rebounds, using some decent post moves and a jump hook to get buckets inside, but he lost his head-to-head battle with Speights, the Philadelphia 76ers center who had 30 points and 10 rebounds and also dunked on him twice.

:( Click on the link to read the rest.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/6973675/nba-lockout-derek-fisher-los-angeles-lakers-emails-players-says-owners-rift

Derek Fisher: Rift among owners

Owners and players initially found reason for optimism during Tuesday's meetings. Commissioner David Stern and Peter Holt, the head of the owners' executive committee, felt that the players' proposal to take 52 or 53 percent of basketball-related income, compared to 57 under the previous agreement, was basically fair, sources said.

Owners were seriously considering coming off of their demand for a salary freeze and would allow players' future earnings to be tied into the league's revenue growth, a critical point for players. The owners also were willing to allow the players to maintain their current salaries, without rollbacks, sources said.

But when the owners left the players to meet among themselves for around three hours, Cleveland's Dan Gilbert and Phoenix's Robert Sarver expressed their dissatisfaction with many of the points, sources said. The sources said that the Knicks' James Dolan and the Lakers' Jerry Buss were visibly annoyed by the hardline demands of Gilbert and Sarver.

---------- Post added September-16th-2011 at 02:35 AM ----------

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/09/15/derek.fisher.letter/

Union president Fisher sets record straight in letter to players

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

As I've said a dozen times now, Wall will be the NBA's best PG since Zeke.

Chris Paul is still in the league, and I believe he's more talented than Zeke ever was. He may not find the same success as Zeke, but he's better.

Having said that, I agree that Wall will be great. It's really just a matter of time before he hits super-stardom. Not sure why people think he won't fix his jumper, his mechanics are almost on point, he just needs more elevation on it. He finally has his athleticism that he showcased in college, there's no more injury concerns for him right now, he's going to be lethal in this league. He's already a top 5 passer in this league, he's right there with Nash, Paul, Kidd, and Williams.

Eh, get back to me when Chris Paul actually wins something beyond a first round playoff series. (He is great though.)

Anyone see Wall on ESPN yesterday? Some dunk he had where he threw it off the backboard to himself? They kept playing it over and over again. Awesome to see him getting play like that.

As far as the "owners rift" goes, that's been known for awhile now. Small-market, new school owners vs the big-market, old school owners. Of course Buss is going to want business as usual. The league is designed for teams like the Lakers to succeed year after year. Gilbert and Co in the smaller markets want a chance to compete. They only compete when they luck out in the draft and then, almost always, their star player eventually bolts for greener pastures. Honestly, I'd be willing to sacrifice a season to see the small-market owners win out. I'm tired of seeing the same half a dozen teams run the league decade after decade. The NFL is so great because every team has a chance to build a winner. There's always hope. The NBA is just whatever.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Eh, get back to me when Chris Paul actually wins something beyond a first round playoff series. (He is great though.)

Anyone see Wall on ESPN yesterday? Some dunk he had where he threw it off the backboard to himself? They kept playing it over and over again. Awesome to see him getting play like that.

iMi5TNRr5KQLM.gif

ibv37GTWO9lC8G.gif

iPVE7gM2oqHVW.gif

iNGmmzC0ishYZ.gif

ibuMV42LHj3Cmu.gif

Edited by StillUnknown

As far as the "owners rift" goes, that's been known for awhile now. Small-market, new school owners vs the big-market, old school owners. Of course Buss is going to want business as usual. The league is designed for teams like the Lakers to succeed year after year. Gilbert and Co in the smaller markets want a chance to compete. They only compete when they luck out in the draft and then, almost always, their star player eventually bolts for greener pastures. Honestly, I'd be willing to sacrifice a season to see the small-market owners win out. I'm tired of seeing the same half a dozen teams run the league decade after decade. The NFL is so great because every team has a chance to build a winner. There's always hope. The NBA is just whatever.

Could not agree more. The parity model has clearly proven itself to be superior to the dynasty model. The NBA needs a hard cap and true revenue sharing.

Could not agree more. The parity model has clearly proven itself to be superior to the dynasty model. The NBA needs a hard cap and true revenue sharing.

x2 I AGREE!!

I think I heard only 11 teams ever won a NBA CHAMPIONSHIP? and BOSTON and LA counts for half. Thats sad now its worse with players getting together and creating Super Teams. MIAMI lost out last year but sooner rather than later they are going to win not 1 not 2 not 3 not 4 not 5 not 6, but 7 CHAMPIONSHIPS in a roll.:(

IF I am the owners its HARDCAP or NO SEASON. Go player in Europe and get 3 million.

Edited by SiCkSoULjA

x2 I AGREE!!

I think I heard only 11 teams ever won a NBA CHAMPIONSHIP? and BOSTON and LA counts for half. Thats sad now its worse with players getting together and creating Super Teams. MIAMI lost out last year but sooner rather than later they are going to win not 1 not 2 not 3 not 4 not 5 not 6, but 7 CHAMPIONSHIPS in a roll.:(

IF I am the owners its HARDCAP or NO SEASON. Go player in Europe and get 3 million.

nah...Miami wont win any with their current team. They aren't tough enough on post defense and LeBron is a loser and will never win a championship on a team where he is the "premier" player.

Seraphin signs with a Euroleague team.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/seraphin-to-announce-signing-overseas/

This morning, Kevin Seraphin said he had signed with a Euroleague team.

“I had two proposals and that’s it, I made ​​my decision. I will announce after the Euro.”

We know that one of these two proposals is to Cholet and the other comes from a Spanish team that will play in the Euroleague.