Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Division champs is nice, now it's almost time to take care of the real business. We need to play better than last night though. I went to sleep when we were down 16 in the 3rd but I was pretty confident we'd have a run in us. Only because the lakers aren't good and don't care about winning though. We can't do that tonight against the clippers, or against any good teams and expect to win anything.

Crazy that this is the first division title in close to 40 years! 

Didn't see the game, unfortunately.  However, I heard that Gortat was ineffective yet again.  He's got to be better going forward.  I still maintain that I think his production (offensively) can be duplicated by both Mahinmi/Smith next year. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Didn't see the game, unfortunately.  However, I heard that Gortat was ineffective yet again.  He's got to be better going forward.  I still maintain that I think his production (offensively) can be duplicated by both Mahinmi/Smith next year. 

7 points and 10 rebounds in 22 minutes isn't exactly ineffective.  He wasn't great, tho.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/03/29/the-wizards-just-won-their-first-division-title-in-38-damn-years/?utm_term=.4182501cef00

The Wizards just won their first division title in 38 damn years

This is the kind of thing — consistent winning — that fans have pleaded for over the past decade. (Or two.) (Or three.) The team would sometimes be okay, or pretty good, or briefly dangerous. It would virtually never offer month after month of sustained success. This team? It came to feel reliable, which is the weirdest thing of all. Down 16 to the Lakers on Tuesday night, you still felt sure the Wizards would roar back to claim first place.

“It’s a steppingstone,” said Phil Chenier, who played for that 1979 division champ. “Winning the division title, getting to 50 wins, getting past the second round. All those things are on the path to greatness, [toward] doing the things that you hope to do eventually.”

Perhaps the craziest part of the past 38 years is how baffling they would have seemed to a fan in 1979. That Bullets team — which finished with the league’s best record — wasn’t teetering on the brink of irrelevance. That team was a model of quality. In the same month the Bullets clinched their last division title, The Post described the Bullets as “so team-oriented and unselfish,” marked by “stunning consistency.”

“Only the Lakers and the Bullets have been able to produce consistently excellent teams throughout the decade,” The Post wrote.

Abe Pollin was “making Washington a basketball town,”

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

3 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Not at all surprised at all by this. This is why I think he is going to be mentioned as MVP next season if we have a memorable playoff ride. He just contributes so much compared to these other guys. 

Edit: Just noticed Jennings in there as well. That says alot about the squad itself. Its nice to just have a guy like that coming off the bench. Hes going to play a really big role for us in the Regular season next year if hes still with us. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RonArtest15 said:

this is why i was so upset we didnt pursue Nurkic. Apparently he wasn't better than Plumlee. Portland and the rest of the league would disagree with that.

But its over with. I can see Mahinmi/Smith replacing Gortat next season. Im good with having 3 bigs.

35 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

7 points and 10 rebounds in 22 minutes isn't exactly ineffective.  He wasn't great, tho.

But he didn't play in the 4th if I'm not mistaken.  If true, it's not the first time Brooks has put Gortat on the bench in crucial situations.  Witt did the same thing IIRC....

Jason Smith = GOAT bench cheerleader.

1 minute ago, RonArtest15 said:

But he didn't play in the 4th if I'm not mistaken.  If true, it's not the first time Brooks has put Gortat on the bench in crucial situations.  Witt did the same thing IIRC....

We've been going small to close out games.  Morris at C and Oubre and Porter at SF and PF.  Rebounding is a weakness but the defense and the shooting make it worthwhile.

Bird had already been drafted by the Celtics at that point.  Kind of amazing.  He went 6th overall because teams knew he was going back to school for that final season.  Indiana even had the first overall pick when he was drafted, but they traded it because they didn't think they could sign him before his draft rights expired.  They had another shot at him at 3, but passed on him for Ricky Robey.  He was there for a year before he too ended up in Boston with Larry Bird.  Boston finally stopped Bird's draft day fall at 6 and I'd say it worked out pretty well for them.

It's amazing how badly Indiana ****ed up that opportunity.  

16 hours ago, Llevron said:

Yea I don't think we get the 1. But I like our boys hungry anyway. They play better with a chip on their shoulder. 

I hope we move away from Gortat. And I hope that is what Wall said has any truth (about boogie), that we are are willing to go into the luxury tax. 

Is Boogie a FA this coming off-season? I keep forgetting. 

If it's 2018 that he becomes a FA, and if we wanted to move away from Gortat, we could use his cheap contract and his inflated numbers to entice NO.