Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

What's the cut off point in a potential Wiz trade for Dwight?

WSH: Dwight

ORL: Crawford, NY, Blatche, McGee, two 1sts

Do you do it? If so, when would it be too much?

:ols: Damn GAC, that is a rape trade. Might as well threw in the McDonald's and Chipotle connected to the Verizon center.

That works in the NFL. Does it work in the NBA?

{Trades etc.}

If you can make a move for one of the best players in the game--without giving up the farm--you do it. And you don't think twice about it. Especially when it's a big man. I thought both the Knicks and Jersey got a bit ripped in the Melo and Williams deals. Dwight's on another level though.

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 12:31 AM ----------

That wasn't an actual trade proposal. That was four random names I threw out there to get the conversation started on my question--when does it become too much?

That makes sense.

At the Max, if we could offer them three players and a pick, I wouldn't complain too much. Like I said though, we would have to sign an extension. No trade for Dwight should happen without an extension.

Edited by MLSKINS

That wasn't an actual trade proposal. That was four random names I threw out there to get the conversation started on my question--when does it become too much?

Any trade is too much if Dwight doesn't agree to an extension. Wall would leave us if that happened. That'd be devastating.

But if he did, then you could probably trade everyone and still come out alright. I'd want to keep Crawford and Booker if possible. I think the Bulls showed a great PG needs a good back court mate that can create for themselves too and help create space. Plus Crawford and Wall have good on court chemistry, they'll be a dynamic backcourt and I don't want to break that up if we can help it.

That team should be able to draw in quality forwards fishing for championships because of how easy their looks would be with Wall and Howard as teammates.

It's unlikely to come together though. Orlando won't deal Dwight, they're too far in denial to cut their losses at this point. I think he walks as a FA and I think Boston is actually the best fit (defensive minded team, All Star facilitating PG and nice assortment of wing options, plus KG and Allen are off the books in time).

I think we've got a much, much better shot at getting someone like Blake Griffin or DeMarcus Cousins to defect when the time comes. Blake is bound to become miserable for the Clippers and I'd bet my life on DeMarcus Cousins's willingness to skip town to come to DC today if he could fake his death and get out of his contract and come here under a new identity.

That works in the NFL. Does it work in the NBA?

Dallas - traded for/signed: JKidd, Marion, Chandler, Terry, D Steezy, Haywood, Peja, etc. I think the only "homegrown" talents are Dirk and Barea

Lakers - traded for/signed: Gasol, Artest, Fisher, Odom, etc. I know they technically traded for Kobe but I'm marking that down as homegrown. So Kobe and Bynum.

Boston - A lot of their guys were homegrown (Pierce, Rondo, Perkins, etc) but they'd be no where without trading for KG and Allen

Spurs - Lucked into Duncan. Ginobili and Parker were great picks. They still needed to sign guys.

Miami - Shaq

LA - Shaq

Spurs - Lucked into Duncan

Bulls - Lucked into MJ, great pick in Scottie, traded for or signed key pieces like Rodman, Ron Harper, Longley, Kerr, Bill Cartwright, Hodges, etc. And weren't adverse to trading homegrown talent like Horace Grant or Charles Oakley.

Rockets - Had to trade for Clyde before they could win one with Hakeem

The only team on there that didn't land their superstar in the draft is basically the Celtics. So the moral of the story, keep growing through the draft until you find your star then build around him. When we find a 25ish ppg player in the draft that is clutch... we can start doing that. Until then keep drafting. The added bonus is that it keeps payroll down so that when you do get your superstar you have the cash to build around him. Plus having a star makes another coming to your team more likely.

The Wizards have Wall but do you really want him being a scoring threat? If not you need two big time scoring options. A wing and a big.

You know the hardest thing about the draft? Now all the local sports talk guyys feel obligated to talk about the Wiz. Don't watch a single game all year but now all of a sudden they're experts. Read a couple of Yahoo! Sports articles and they're good to go. Makes me want to put a bullet in my brain.

You reall think Kobe was the star of the first Lakers 3peat? And Wall is the star to build around. And you're taking my post in a vacuum. Look at wwhat I was responding to. My point stands.

Like I said when we first drafted him, the model we're going to follow is the Bad Boy Pistons. They were the last team too win it all with a PG as their marquee guy. I think we saw them doing just that with the last draft.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Vesely appears to have received assurances from the Wizards that he’s indeed the pick, according to reports from NBA teams who have spoken with his camp. With the team’s other top options, Valanciunas and Kanter, off the board, this makes plenty of sense, even if Kawhi Leonard did draw some looks here as well.

If Valanciunas somehow slips past Utah, Cleveland and Toronto, the Wizards’ front office is high on his services. Still, it would be difficult for owner Ted Leonsis to sign off on having to wait on Valanciunas for another season, which is an edge for Vesely.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmdkX6N7TV9ajKKJP1gJYgq8vLYF?slug=ycn-8686843

I have no problem with this.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

You know the hardest thing about the draft? Now all the local sports talk guyys feel obligated to talk about the Wiz. Don't watch a single game all year but now all of a sudden they're experts. Read a couple of Yahoo! Sports articles and they're good to go. Makes me want to put a bullet in my brain.

Not just the local guys. It's the national media too. They know nothing about the Wizards. I saw some national outlet analyzing the Wizards' strength and weaknesses and what they need to do going forward (might have been Simmons's website). They actually mentioned "keep Josh Howard from shooting 3s" ostensibly because his 3 pt % was dreadful.

Ummm... ok. That shouldn't be all that hard to do when he isn't on the team next season. Has Howard even played in more than ten games for us since we traded for him? I'd say that's pretty far down the list of fish to fry.

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 09:30 AM ----------

I think its absolutely moronic to parrot the "teams won't want Valanciunas because they'll have to wait a year" line of reasoning and yet I've seen it a hundred times from media outlets. Why in the hell should that even factor in at all for GMs?

1.) They don't draft bigs for what they can do in the up coming season. Duh.

2.) All of these Euros except Kanter and (I'm pretty sure Bismack) are under contract with European clubs for the next few seasons and will involve a pain in the ass buyout process

3.) There's going to be a goddamn lockout!!!

Him playing in Europe for a year should give him an advantage over unattached rookies for next season--not be a disadvantage--because he'll be playing professional basketball while they're twiddling their thumbs.

I don't know how I feel about a bad boy pistons team GACOLB. First off, I'm not sure if Wall is Isiah Thomas. Isiah was a 6' scorer on those teams. Wall's MO is much different. I think he's got a little more Nash in him offensively than most people realize. He wants to pass the ball in nearly all situations. He lives to set up and lead his teammates. He wants more than anything to make you a star. And he doesn't have a hoggish bone in his body.

I also think Wall's feverish work on his shot since he's come into the league indicates he's traveling down that Nash like road to PG greatness and it's the path he's chosen for himself.

The upside is that he'll develop all of those talents while still having the physical abilities and talents of Derrick Rose :).

I think a Wall team is going to be pretty different from any other we've seen before simply because we've never seen a player quite like Wall before.

I also don't think Wall will ever be a 25-27 PPG scorer and offensive focus that Destino is talking about. I think his stats will look a lot more like Chris Paul's during his peak seasons - 18-22 ppg, 9-11 apg, 4-5 rpg, 2-3 spg, 44-50% from the field, mid 80's FT, and maybe as much as 40 % from 3 once he can shoot. I think he'll also make some All NBA defensive teams.

I think Derrick Rose and the Bulls are a lot more likely to go down the Bad Boys Pistons road if they're going to be successful.

I think we're going to eventually find a star forward as Wall's primary offensive outlet and have some sort of variety of the Stockton-Malone dynamic going on. Obviously it won't be a perfect comparison since Wall is a far different type of offensive player than Stockton. But the central dynamic of elite facilitator and elite scorer will be what's in play.

I also think Jordan Crawford factors heavily in our future success in some way. I think him and Wall could be responsible for 15-17 APG between the two of them at their peaks.

I wouldn't mind going after Jamie Skeen in the 2nd round. The guys has good inside moves and good touch from 3 pt land. Inside and outside threat. If we get a late 2nd round pick from a trade or something I think he'd be a steal. He's flown under the radar until his performance in the tourney with VCU.

http://espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/post/_/id/30662/thunder-looking-to-deal-maynor-to-move-up

OKC looking to deal Maynor to move up?

Is Thunder point guard Eric Maynor worth a lottery pick? Sources say the Thunder have been quietly gauging interest in Maynor during the past few days in an attempt to move up into the top half of the first round. They've spoken to the Kings (No. 7) and Bobcats (No. 9) in particular in the past few days.

Maynor was the 20th pick in the 2009 draft, which was one of the most loaded point guard drafts. With so few quality point guards on the board this year, would a team covet him more than Kemba Walker or Jimmer Fredette?

Who are the Thunder after? Like a lot of teams, it seems they are in hot pursuit of Lithuanian big man Jonas Valanciunas.

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 04:08 PM ----------

Texas PF Tristan Thompson met with Cavs owner Dan Gilbert on Monday.

According to ESPN's Chad Ford, there is a "growing comfort level" between the Cavs and Thompson as the No. 4 overall pick. That isn't good news for J.J. Hickson, as Thompson is a high-upside power forward that can board. Note that stats guru John Hollinger rated Thompson as the third-best prospect in the draft

I think the Vesely talk is just a bluff by EG. Usually he keeps his picks close to the vest and minimal info is out regarding WHO the team is going to select. I still believe that the Wizards will do everything in their power to move up into the top-3 (without giving up McGee).

*Another thing...my post count has been stuck on 931 for the past few months LOL

I think the Vesely talk is just a bluff by EG. Usually he keeps his picks close to the vest and minimal info is out regarding WHO the team is going to select. I still believe that the Wizards will do everything in their power to move up into the top-3 (without giving up McGee).

*Another thing...my post count has been stuck on 931 for the past few months LOL

I was about to post something similar, minus the post count part, (I do wish they count in The Tailgate)

If Kanter and Valanciunas isn't there at six, that pick is as good as gone.

http://www.nbadraft.net/draft-day-draft-buzz-1

We're hearing that there is a 3 team deal in the works between Utah, Washington and Minnesota.

The deal would send the 6th pick and players (and/or cap relief) to Minnesota.

Utah would get the 2nd pick and is targeting Derrick Williams.

Washington would get the 3rd pick and is targeting Enes Kanter.

And Minnesota would move back and dump salary or add veterans such as Paul Millsap.

Minnesota might not be done at that as there is speculation that they would trade 6 to either move down again or add more established veterans.

The deal would likley involve established players. Some names that have been mentioned: Jonny Flynn and Devin Harris.

They don't? Thank God. I'd have an embarrassingly high number of posts then. After the draft thread petered out, I literally have nothing to say about the Redskins any more.

Yeah, if Tailgate post count, we would all be over 10k. Which is unfair because a lot of people who have over 10k have post that counted from tailgate.

Anyways..........

I would love that three team trade if McGee isn't apart of it. That would be so sweet.