Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Well they've got the wrong height for Beal for one thing. He's 6'5. But there are two real issues there.

1. Beal's consistency has been horrible due to the midseason disruptions of his injuries.

2. Usage is not weighted heavily enough.

Beal is a streaky player and that tendency gets exacerbated by injury and recovery time. He peaked during the playoffs during those two runs, and that level of play he reached was meaningful, but not reflected in his total season.

Usage is a key number for projecting future stardom because it demonstrates role. A 25%+ Usage player is a first or second option and a shot creator. This is something that people who make their evaluations just on numbers NEVER get right in their models. Otto's extremely low usage means he's a fourth or fifth option on offense and the only way a player will ever see an AS game in that role is if he's a defensive anchor like a C.

The fact of the matter is that not all baskets are created equal. The abilities to catch the ball at the rim and finish and catch the ball and hit open corner threes with your feet set are far less valuable than the ability to catch and hit shots on the move and create baskets against set defense off the bounce. Players that can do the latter are more valuable than ones who can only do the former even though their ORtgs and TS%s are always way lower.

I like the Sidney Lowe hiring. I like having PGs coach a team led by John Wall. Better coaching + finally getting his knees taken care of means I think we are going to see John reach a new level this season. He's entering the beginning of his prime years. Get him on your fantasy teams.

• Like 2

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2016/7/9/12136734/washington-wizards-utah-jazz-summer-league-nba-las-vegas-2016

Wizards vs. Jazz recap: Washington opens Summer League action with a 88-73 win over Utah

Sheldon McClellan - Very, very quiet debut. He said going in that he wanted to focus on defense, and did a solid job on that end, but that was about it. He did not score at all during his 11 minutes of playing time.

Daniel Ochefu - Ochefu didn’t get the start today. The Wizards opted to go with D-League veteran Michael Eric, who had a very solid game, as he should, considering he’s a 28 year old going up against players who are mostly five or more years younger than him.

That said, Ochefu looked great with the second unit. He did a great job of clogging up the lane defensively, with 2 blocks and 4 steals. He made the most of the opportunities he got offensively with 4 points on 2-3 shooting. And in terms of the little things, he was great at screen setting and getting up and down the floor. You could see why the Wizards were willing to give him a contract.

Shawn Dawson - The good news is Dawson wasn’t overwhelmed by the athleticism on the NBA level. He was active in transition on both ends, made some nice defensive plays, and was assertive on the offensive end without trying to do too much. He finished with 6 points on 6 shots.

Danuel House - The former Aggie had a very nice debut off the bench, finishing with 14 points in just over 17 minutes of action. He probably won’t go 3-3 from deep again, but his athleticism and energy made a difference on both ends.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

Based on what I saw last season, my hopes for Oubre is that he can hit a wide open corner three and defend reasonably well within the team defensive plan.  I don't expect him to have great shot selection, handles, or be good with both hands around the rim in his second year.  Scouts said he was a project and he looked every bit the project in his limited minutes last season.

Oubre is doing his thing. Being super disruptive guarding the ball, letting it fly without hesitation, and getting to the FT line. I'm not worried about Oubre at all. He's an NBA player with unshakable confidence. He's going to make it. I'm worried about Sheldon McClellan and Aaron White. They were supposed to be like 14th and 15th men, and McClellan has a chance at some burn given how young our back court and wing depth is. But they aren't showing us anything. White is overmatched, he doesn't look like an NBA player yet.

JaVale killed it in summer league. He was on the same team as Wall and NY and they ran scrubs off the court. Javale was like a three year vet though and I think NY was a 4 year vet.

John was awesome immediately. SL MVP as a rookie. We utterly wasted the first three years of his career.