Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I asked Ted about this in an email and he told me they wouldn't be doing that....he said with the three draft picks from last year, Crawford, and three picks this year, we have plenty of young talent to build on and don't really need to be bringing in any more rookies on top of that.....which makes perfect sense.

I wouldn't mind buying a pick and packaging it with 6 and maybe Blatche to move up into the draft....but I doubt that happens.

I disagree.

I don't think Seraphin is legit, nor N'Daye. Really we have some young guys in Wall, Crawford and Booker, and maybe McGee but thats all. We need to get rid of Blatche and get some depth. We'll do that with three picks this year (hopefully), but I pray there's a plan for filling out the rest of the roster.

---------- Post added May-18th-2011 at 02:14 PM ----------

When I look at the holes, I see a need for a perimeter defender and lights out shooters. John Wall's at his best when he's penetrating. I'd love to see him kicking it out to Rashard Lewis and someone like Klay Thompson, maybe not a starter, but fills a role. I think Leonard would be perfect for the Wiz. Lock down defender, tough rebounder. Can run the court and will eventually get a jumper. If we could get some combination of Leonard/Thompson and/or singleton, I'd be happy.

Wall, Crawford

Klay Thompson/Crawford/FA

Rashard Lewis/Khawi Leonard

Seraphim/Booker/Blatche?

McGee/Seraphim

I'm glad to see others advocating Leonard too. I think he's just what we need.

---------- Post added May-18th-2011 at 02:15 PM ----------

I can't get excited about Jan Vesely at all

i'd rather take a chance on Bismack, at least that way we'll get some good defense

To me, the most exciting thing about Bismack (other than his defense) is his wingspan. But what scares me is that he's an international player. I wouldn't be mad if we got him, but he's not my first choice. If we have the opportunity to get Leonard and Bismack, I want Leonard because I feel he has more potential and less questions.

I can't see Minny wanting Williams or Kanter with Beasly and Love on the team. I don't think they'd pass on Williams but I can't see how they wouldn't prefer Irving. Johnny Flynn ain't cutting it and Rubio ain't coming over to play in cold ass Minnesota.

Supposedly, Rubio's coming this summer.

Supposedly, Rubio's coming this summer.

I'll believe it when I see it.

It seems like some are passing over superior prospects just because they're international. That's how you feel stupid ten years later for taking Kwame over Gasol. For me, I was first on the Bismack bandwagon and I see no reason to get off now.

As far as Vesely goes, it reads like people are seeing him as another Yi or something. I don't see that. He has his faults for sure, but he's also improved in a lot of areas over the last couple of years. And from what I can tell he's a worker.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

I'll believe it when I see it.

It seems like some are passing over superior prospects just because they're international. That's how you feel stupid ten years later for taking Kwame over Gasol. For me, I was first on the Bismack bandwagon and I see no reason to get off now.

As far as Vesely goes, it reads like people are seeing him as another Yi or something. I don't see that. He has his faults for sure, but he's also improved in a lot of areas over the last couple of years. And from what I can tell he's a worker.

My main problem with international players is that so few people have actually seen them play and scouted them. I can talk about Harrison Barnes and Leonard based on scouting reports and also based on what I saw in individual games to make me like or dislike them. Add to that the Wizards recent record overseas, and I think we've got at least a little reason to be nervous.

and isn't Kwame more of an example of falling in love with a scouting report than anything else. I mean he was supposed to be this ultra athletic guy who did all this stuff, but it never added up to anything.

My main problem with international players is that so few people have actually seen them play and scouted them.

So few people have seen them play?

I'm assuming you mean that us fans haven't seen them play 'cause all pro teams have scouts that focus on international players.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

For me, I was first on the Bismack bandwagon and I see no reason to get off now.

I was on that bandwagon a while ago, but I just don't post in this thread much. I think my only post about him here had to do with his name. I like him a lot, but I might be leaning toward Leonard right now. Either one would be fine with me though. Hell, we might only get the chance at one of them the way both are rising up boards.

I love Steve's suggestion about getting Leonard at #6 and Singleton at #18. Two of my favorite players and guys that will be around the league for a while.

Edited by lovetoaster

I'm assuming you mean that us fans haven't seen them play 'cause all pro teams have scouts that focus on international players.

thats exactly what I mean. I guess that coaches and GMs know all about them. But when I want to learn about Kanter, I've got to depend on scouting reports and what the "experts" say about him. There's no chance of fans like ASF and Oldfan getting into an argument about the skills of a European player because neither would have seen him play. Its all based on whether you think Chad Ford is a better scout than DraftExpress or whoever else you want to compare. I'm always meh after we draft an international guy because I can't base it on anything other than "have faith in the GM" which is hard to do given our history (particularly with international players).

thats exactly what I mean. I guess that coaches and GMs know all about them. But when I want to learn about Kanter, I've got to depend on scouting reports and what the "experts" say about him. There's no chance of fans like ASF and Oldfan getting into an argument about the skills of a European player because neither would have seen him play. Its all based on whether you think Chad Ford is a better scout than DraftExpress or whoever else you want to compare. I'm always meh after we draft an international guy because I can't base it on anything other than "have faith in the GM" which is hard to do given our history (particularly with international players).

It doesn't really bother me that I haven't see some of these guys extensively. That's what the professionals are for.

And personally, I don't think international players are any more riskier than American-born players.

The draft is hit-or-miss regardless.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Exactly. Cold War is over. These dudes aren't locked in a gym and only venture out every four years for the Olympics anymore. Almost all of these guys are playing in competitive pro leagues against other future NBA players. And are big in FIBA and other international play vs some of the best the world has to offer.

I'd love to see a stat of the percentage of international draft picks who miss vs American draft picks who miss. Trying to find one now.

In my humble opinion, you're not on a bandwagon until you put yourself out there. Admiring/liking a player isn't the same thing as touting him publically, i.e. being on the bandwagon. There is a risk involved.

---------- Post added May-18th-2011 at 04:55 PM ----------

Still looking for an international vs american draft success rate, but did find a study done over a 5-year period that says the top ten most internationally diverse NBA teams had a .571 winning percentage while the bottom ten had a .441 winning percentage. 04/05 to 09/10.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

With international players, you've also got issues like level of competition, finesse versus power, language barriers, etc. I wonder if they get homesick? I know I probably would.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, just that they're not the guys I'd rally behind. I read Chad Ford's stuff about a week ago and I've been asking about Kawhi Leonard ever since because I really wanted somebody at 3. At first my hope was Harrison Barnes, then D. Williams, but when I realized that we weren't getting either one of those, I've been looking up stuff on Leonard and have been pretty impressed with what I've seen. I know I don't work in the WIzards front office and will have little to no impact on what they actually do, but I enjoy my little mini-scouting that I do before the NBA and NFL drafts. Then going to a sports bar and getting into an argument with the guy next to me about Wall vs Turner, knowing stuff from scouting reports and actual games. Its just fun.

If we wind up getting Bismack or Vesely, I won't be mad, but I'll probably have a lot less to say because I don't know them other than a few tag lines that they've become known by.

I disagree.

I don't think Seraphin is legit, nor N'Daye. Really we have some young guys in Wall, Crawford and Booker, and maybe McGee but thats all. We need to get rid of Blatche and get some depth. We'll do that with three picks this year (hopefully), but I pray there's a plan for filling out the rest of the roster.[

Well obviously you are entitled to your own opinion...but I think it is way to early to decide whether or not Seraphin or N'Daye could be good players in the future...they are far too young and we haven't seen enough to determine that.

We have Wall, Crawford, Seraphin, N'daye, Young, McGee, Blatche, and three draft picks from this years draft who will all be under 25.....that is plenty of young guys...10/15 roster spots...even if you don't like Seraphin, N'daye, and Blatche...they will still likely be on the team....and even w/o counting those guys...that is still 7/15 super young guys...half the roster. Time to start adding vet role players while we continue to develop the young talent. I'd actually be willing to trade all three picks to move up into the top 3....or trade #34 along with #18 to move back into the lottery to ensure we get Klay Thompson or Chris Singleton. We don't need 7 rookie/2nd year players on this team.

Edited by Gator Bait

I'm a Vesely guy.

The Darko comparison scares me a little bit. It's out there. Chad Ford says he's different because he was putting up big numbers on one of the best Euroleague teams playing significant minutes. Darko apparently played sporadically for a bad team.

There hasn't been a white Euroleague player quite like Vesely before. He'd have been a top pick in last year's class if he'd come out. The word is that he's had a sort of Blake Griffin like impact the past two years because of how long he is and how well he leaps. I wonder if he'd be able to do any of the same things he does in Europe over here in the NBA?

Vesely and Kanter are the two most interesting prospects in the class IMO. I think those two plus Bismack and Leonard probably constitute our best options at 6.

---------- Post added May-18th-2011 at 06:04 PM ----------

I was on that bandwagon a while ago, but I just don't post in this thread much. I think my only post about him here had to do with his name. I like him a lot, but I might be leaning toward Leonard right now. Either one would be fine with me though. Hell, we might only get the chance at one of them the way both are rising up boards.

I love Steve's suggestion about getting Leonard at #6 and Singleton at #18. Two of my favorite players and guys that will be around the league for a while.

I feel pretty similar.

I think we can go a bunch of different ways and come out alright. This draft is actually pretty great for finding role players who have the sort of intangible makeup to stick on a roster.

Singleton would be nice at 18 even if we pick another SF at 6--if he's still there. It seems like he's got some lottery momentum. Almost every good team needs a good perimeter defender so you know his role immediately.

I think the place where the international player comes from has a lot to do with how easy their transition is going to be. I think Europe is by far the easiest place to transition from because the Euroleague is excellent and the language and cultural barriers aren't as steep. Turkish players have also done well in the US. Argentina and Brazil have also been successful putting out NBA talent.

Historically, Africa and China have been really hard to transition from. I'd be very skeptical of taking any Chinese prospect early. Bismack is a streak buster though. He's rough and tumble, not soft and he speaks five languages so he's well equipped mentally to make the jump. Plus he already has an NBA body. He's got a good shot IMO.

---------- Post added May-18th-2011 at 06:13 PM ----------

We don't need 7 rookie/2nd year players on this team.

No we don't. That's prospect overload--the development of some will suffer to accomodate others.

I still like Davis Bertans, maybe more so than Klay Thompson. Check him out and see if he doesn't remind you of Peja Stojakovic. We could settle for him at 18 or 34 if Thompson is off the table.

I'd also take a look at Bojan Bogdonavic if we're looking for a more well rounded Euroleague scorer. Apparently he's just been carrying a bad team and playing super well despite having no help. DX wrote a really interesting profile on him that's got some good things to say.

No we don't. That's prospect overload--the development of some will suffer to accomodate others.

exactly....good point about development...that I failed to mention (but that is what I was thinking)

That is the only problem I have with Bismack, who from my understanding is pretty much the same player Kevin Seraphin is. I must admit, however, that Bismack is much higher regarded when compared to Kevin.

Right now I'd really like to focus on wing players (both 2 and 3) who can contribute right away and aren't liabilities on defense. I really love all the thinks Leonard brings to the table and love the shooting and scoring ability of Thompson.

I still like Davis Bertans, maybe more so than Klay Thompson. Check him out and see if he doesn't remind you of Peja Stojakovic. We could settle for him at 18 or 34 if Thompson is off the table.

respectfully, I'm wondering what it is you like about Bertans? Did you see video of him on youtube that you like, write ups on draft sites, little bit of both? I didn't dig deep at all...I did watch a video of him playing in the eastern euro championships and it appears to show all his offensive possessions (unlike a highlight video that just shows good highlights) I thought Bertans looked awful (but to his defense..that was the only video I watched and I didn't read up on him.) Just wondering what it was that drew your interest to him over Thompson?

I think Leonsis' next target is Blatche. Could we possibly package the 18th pick and Blatche for a Vet or a lower round pick? I think we could move him in like they did with Arenas and Baron Davis. I know we would have to get a crappy contract in return, but I personally feel that getting rid of Blache would be addition by subtraction at this point and would really help this young team gel. He would easily be replaced by Kawhi leonard.

Imagine Wall running the break with a healthy Rashard, Javale, and Kawhi. That's a big, fast frontcourt.

I would need a decent starter for Blatche and a pick and hell no on the crappy contact. Scoring bigs, even bad ones, are over paid and rare in the league. Look at the contract haywood got! No way in hell would I trade a starting player off a team with 7 players under contract AND a first round pick for nothing. We have no idea when there will be a free agency an what it will look like. This team has no scoring threat secured for next year at the 2, 3, or 5. We can't dump a scorer without picking up one at least as capable. Kawhi Leonard is a SF that can't shoot (read: off the bench player).

I'd trade Blatche alone for a pick or a player that can start straight up. We got butler for kwame brown. Bigs are valuable.

Edited by Destino

I would need a decent starter for Blatche and a pick and hell no on the crappy contact. Scoring bigs, even bad ones, are over paid and rare in the league. Look at the contract haywood got! No way in hell would I trade a starting player off a team with 7 players under contract AND a first round pick for nothing. We have no idea when there will be a free agency an what it will look like. This team has no scoring threat secured for next year at the 2, 3, or 5. We can't dump a scorer without picking up one at least as capable. Kawhi Leonard is a SF that can't shoot (read: off the bench player).

I'd trade Blatche alone for a pick or a player that can start straight up. We got butler for kwame brown. Bigs are valuable.

This.

They call Vesely the "European Blake Griffin." That's almost his nickname. Dude can be vicious and he has some flavor to him. I'm still a Bismack guy though.

The fact that he's a SF at 6'11 makes me doubt his toughness seriously. He won't be able to play the 3 in the NBA because he can't guard an NBA 3. Then there is the fact that he's 6'11 240. He's 20 pounds lighter then Blatche. Let that simmer in your mind lol

277px-Jan_Vesely.jpg

That look like a winning power forward to you?

That is the only problem I have with Bismack, who from my understanding is pretty much the same player Kevin Seraphin is. I must admit, however, that Bismack is much higher regarded when compared to Kevin.
Probably a difference in footspeed, length, and athleticism. Bismack is quick and explosive, he runs the floor as fast as anyone and he's a leaper. His freakish length is also part of what makes him special. As far as I can tell, he's one of the only players with a wingspan nearly a foot bigger than his total height. He's probably going to grow into a 6'11 type forward so he'll be bigger and faster and more explosive than Seraphin.

Seraphin is beefier and meaner. You're right though, we drafted Seraphin to play the role that we'd be drafting Bismack for. Bismack would just be a more talented version of him. Is that worth scrapping Seraphin? Good question. My answer would probably be no if we could get a quality player at a different position/role instead because the net gain across the roster would be bigger. But if Bismack is easily the BPA then Seraphin probably shouldn't stop us from taking the upgrade.

Seraphin's development is actually going to be pretty crucial for us down the road. He was raw as hell this year and utterly unready for the NBA. It seems like he's a long ways away. I remember one game this year where he picked up 5 fouls in 8 minutes... I hope we can figure out something with him to where he doesn't spend a lockout year at home. He needs to be playing as much as he can.

Right now I'd really like to focus on wing players (both 2 and 3) who can contribute right away and aren't liabilities on defense. I really love all the thinks Leonard brings to the table and love the shooting and scoring ability of Thompson.
Both are useful and would have value on our roster. I like Leonard but I'd like to see more from him before I sell myself on him. Basically, I've still got my heart set on finding a Euro big to take over the 4 from Blatche. That's Leonard's main knock for me. He's a good but not really elite 3 prospect when I think the position that'd have the biggest long term impact for us if we got right would be 4. I don't see a single quality American 4 in the early lottery. It'd have to be a Euroleague guy.

Vesely plays the 3 (but has the athleticism and length of an NBA 4) so he might not necessarily be what I'm hoping for. I think we'd struggle finding a place for him unless he either: 1.) got a lot stronger to play the four, or 2.) got a lot quicker and smarter so he can defend the 3. Best case scenario is that he's a high upside project combo forward.

I thought Valanciunas was a good option until I head Chad Ford basically damn him with faint praise. He said he's a 3/4 type who has good length and intangibles but he doesn't really do anything well... He's not a shooter, not a great ball handler, good not great athlete, good not great rebounder, ditto for defense. What does this kid hang his hat on? Simmons brought up Yi Jianlian but Chad Ford squashed that because he said Valanciunas was tough and not at all soft. But the fact that you can compare his skillset to Jianlian's isn't very comforting. Sounds to me like Valanciunas needs to stay in Europe for a while. He's only 18 and his contract is apparently going to be hard as hell to buy out. You don't spend the 6th pick on him, that's for sure. So maybe you draft Valanciunas at 18 or later because of the good upside and just let him play over seas for a few years.

Bismack is Bismack, we've already talked about his pros and cons for us. I don't know a ton about Donatas Montiejunas other than the fact that he seems like another finesse Euro 3 playing the 4 because of his height (and some motor concerns brought up by a couple websites).

That leaves Kanter. If his knees check out, I honestly believe he's our best bet in the class in terms of both fit and talent. He's got some upside since he's so young. He's got good size and he's a decent athlete. He's tough and super smart and polished. He speaks fluent English and learned it in just two years. His dad is a PhD and genetic researcher so you know he's smart. He dominated every level of competition he faced and showed up big during the biggest moments and against the best competition. He's a good shooter with range out to the 3 point line which is surprising for a player like him. He shoots free throws pretty well. He's got a huge motor and is a rebounding machine. He's supposedly a very good passer. He's tall and long enough to defend 4s.

All in all, he's a significant upgrade over Blatche IMO--if health isn't an issue. We'll probably see how big an issue his knees really are by how high he gets drafted. If he goes top 4, then he probably checked out OK. If he slips, it's almost certainly because of his health.

I think we should trade up to get Kanter. When you think about it, Irving and DWill are juuuust flawed enough that Kanter is probably the best player in the class. I could understand taking him first overall if he had actually played for Kentucky this year.

I doubt Cleveland takes Kanter first because they're going to want to try and come away with the best mix of F & PG that they can. They'll either go DWill first and hope Brandon Knight is there at 4 (probably what I would do) or they'll go Irving first and hope Kanter is there at 4. Minnesota won't take Kanter second\unless they want to play him at C but then you have two undersized white guys playing the 4 and 5 and then that just doesn't make sense at all. Their interior defense would be terrible and Kanter doesn't compliment Love--too similar to each other. If Minnesota is serious that Rubio is coming over soon and that he's their PG of the future, then they are probably hoping Cleveland takes Irving first and DWill falls to them at 2. Then again, that makes Michael Beasley pretty expendable and what the hell do you do with Wesley Matthews? He wasn't a very good 2 guard and his ideal position is almost certainly at 3. So none of these top players are very good fits. That's why I don't think it's smart to go for the quick or easy solution at the 3 over other, harder to fill positions even if those prospects don't grade out quite as high as your 3. SF is the deepest position in the league and it's the easiest one to find in almost every draft class. It also develops really quickly.

If I were them I'd hope Cleveland goes DWill first overall. If that happened, I'd just cut my losses on Rubio and Flynn, trade them for whoever I could get and draft Irving and feel good about the fact that I actually have a real solution at PG instead of some imaginary one I'm clinging to for the sake of pride. But that will never happen, so I think Minnesota is probably a candidate for trade so they can move back a bit and take a guy who actually makes sense for them like a true 2 guard (Alec Burks) or a defensive big (Bismack). Minnesota also doesn't have a first round pick for next year. Maybe we could dangle a strongly protected first in the deal to see if they'd bite. I wonder if 6 + NY or Blatche is enough to move up to 2 to get Kanter? NY does make sense for their needs and he's an RFA so we'd be at least getting some value from him in case he won't re-sign.

Utah is the next best candidate for trade if Kanter is still there at 3 IMO. Say Irving goes first and DWill second, then Utah will probably try and settle for Brandon Knight. They know Cleveland isn't taking him at 4 after going Irving first, so they can trade down to 6 and still get either him or Kemba Walker. They've got Millsap, Derrick Favors, and Al Jefferson. I wonder if they'd have any interest whatsoever in NY or Blatche? If so, then I wonder if 6 + NY or Blatche would be enough to get 3? I wonder if 6 + 18 + Blatche or NY would be enough to get both 3 and 12?

One thing that's safe to say is Utah won't take Kanter at 3. Not enough to differentiate him from Jefferson, Millsap, and Favors.

Does Cleveland take Kanter at 4? They love J.J. Hickson and are touting him as the focal point of their rebuild. They'd be drafting him to play center which isn't his best position. I actually think they'd be better off going DWill at 1 and PG at 4. If not, maybe Cleveland is interested in trading down to 6 with us so we could take Kanter at 4. Would we even need to though?

Does Toronto take Kanter at 5? They've got Bargnani and Reggie Evans and Ed Davis and Amir Johnson. They need a 1 and a 3.

So maybe Kanter just falls to us at 6 and we don't have to move around at all.

This is how I think the first 18 picks should play out so all of the teams come out with the best picks for them:

1 - CLE - Derrick Williams

2 - WAS (via trade) - Enes Kanter

3 - UTA - Kyrie Irving

4 - CLE - Brandon Knight

5 - TOR - Kawhi Leonard

6 - MIN - Bismack Biyombo

7 - SAC - Kemba Walker

8 - DET - Alec Burks

9 - CHA - Jan Vesely

10 - MIL - Donatas Montiejunas

11 - GOL - Jonas Valanciunas

12 - UTA - Marshon Brooks

13 - PHO - Marcus Morris

14 - HOU - Tobias Harris

15 - IND - Jimmer Fredette (should be Josh Selby though)

16 - PHI - Markieff Morris / Kenneth Faried

17 - NYK - Josh Selby / Kenneth Faried

18 - WAS - Chris Singleton

respectfully, I'm wondering what it is you like about Bertans? Did you see video of him on youtube that you like, write ups on draft sites, little bit of both? I didn't dig deep at all...I did watch a video of him playing in the eastern euro championships and it appears to show all his offensive possessions (unlike a highlight video that just shows good highlights) I thought Bertans looked awful (but to his defense..that was the only video I watched and I didn't read up on him.) Just wondering what it was that drew your interest to him over Thompson?

My knowledge of Bertans is based off of the Hoops Summit game this year and reading Chad Ford's take on him from the week of practice at the Summit. DX also wrote an article about his practice too. I saw him with my own eyes when I watched the Summit game though and I actually watched it twice and it was the second time he caught my eye. He's got a super quick stroke and it's pretty. Basically Bertans stood out because he and Austin Rivers were the only guys in the game who could shoot. The rest of the game was just both squads frantically running fast breaks and trying to penetrate.

Bertans is very tall. I think he's around 6'10 and he's got full NBA range. He's an offensive specialist, not a complete player. Basically, he can perform the role that Stojakovic currently does for the Mavs and he's long enough to contest jump shots on the perimeter from shorter players. The quick set up and delivery is what especially reminds me of Peja. I think he can develop into a really nice catch and shoot wing.

I'd take him at 34 if he's there. We could keep him in Europe while he develops and then bring him over when our roster isn't so young as a shooting specialist and 8th or 9th man.

Let's say I'd probably prefer Bertans at 34 than Thompson at 18, especially if Chris Singleton is still sitting there at 18. I think my ideal draft right now is getting Kanter, Singleton, and Bertans out of our three draft picks (and somehow managing to get rid of Blatche in the process).

This.

Seconded. Trade Blatche + 18 for a lower pick and a terrible contract? **** that. That's a big lose all around. I'd rather just keep Blatche on the bench than move him for a bad contract. There's your addition by subtraction. And as Destino pointed out, Blatche is going to have decent trade value.

There aren't many scoring 4s with his length and athleticism under contract for pretty cheap and only 24 years old. Look around the league and you won't find many of them. Some team that's either desperate or unfamiliar with him will give up something decent in return. Look at what we got in return for Kirk Hinrich and Hilton Armstrong. We won the Gilbert Arenas trade too. We're on a roll, we don't need to start losing on trades now.

---------- Post added May-19th-2011 at 01:43 AM ----------

This is how I think I would like the rest of our rebuild to play out:

6 - Enes Kanter

18 - Chris Singleton

34 - Davis Bertans / Bojan Bogdonavich

Extend Nick Young for a modest deal if possible, if not, package him as part of the move to get Kanter. Extend Othyus Jeffers? Try and get a one year deal on Mo Williams

If lockout extends throughout the year then our lottery standings have to be based on our 2011 standings right? Does lockout effect D-League?

If lockout doesn't wipe out the season, we probably finish with a late lottery pick or maybe even later. If that happens, package Blatche with Rashard Lewis' expiring contract and that pick to move up to make sure we come away with either Michael Gilchrist, Anthony Davis, or Quincy Miller (or Harrison Barnes if he breaks out as a sophomore) as our starting 3 and the true #2 to Wall.

Let's say we get Miller. This would be our core rotation:

PG - Wall, Crawford, X

SG - Crawford, Young, Bertans

SF - Miller?, Singleton, Booker, Bertans

PF - Kanter, Booker, Seraphin

C - McGee, Kanter, Seraphin

Ten man group, all pretty young: 1 pure point, 1 combo guard and clutch scorer, two wing shooters, one lengthy do it all SF, one perimeter stopper, one defensive forward, one defensive big, one above the rim defender and finisher center, and one post scoring and rebounding big.

The offense runs through Wall it's primary scoring option is Quincy Miller on the perimeter and Kanter in the paint. Kanter plays for defensive rebounds. Javale finishes and plays the ball. Crawford spells Wall and splits time with NY according to the matchups. Bertans comes in for FT shooting and 4th quarter scoring when the defense gets spaced out plus he's offensive injury insurance for the 2s and 3s. Singleton and Booker come off the bench when you need to lock down opposing 2s, 3s, and 4s. Seraphin gives you 6 hard fouls and gives you some grit in the paint.

Everyone has a role and brings something unique and complimentary to the table and the team has no large structural weaknesses when everyone is healthy. There's as much depth as you can realistically hope to muster so an injury at the 1, 2, or 3 won't completely kill you and you can scramble around. Miller (or X 2012 high lottery pick) and Wall would probably be perennial All Stars. In years where we win lots of games, Kanter and Crawford could probably sniff the All Star game too. That's a really good roster IMO.

---------- Post added May-19th-2011 at 01:57 AM ----------

Hmm, all of that said, I still don't feel great about dumping Blatche for only what I got in return in that scenario (moving up in the 2012 class... which we might not have to do anyway).

For one, Quincy Miller (or whoever we picked), would have to be a star to justify that value.

For another thing, making Enes Kanter, Javale, and Seraphin your only bigs is an enormous gamble. You can't justify that level of risk unless you see immediate returns from Kanter and Seraphin would have to make some serious strides by 2012. Kanter is an unknown right now. If he's not at least a 17-10 guy then dumping Blatche for so little is a huge mistake that can only be salvaged by Javale breaking out offensively and defensively. Kanter might have some durability flags too. If he can't stay healthy and we take him and dump Blatche then we've really ****ed up.

Seraphin is an even bigger unknown really. Who knows if he'll even still be worth a roster spot by 2012? Booker is a keeper but he doesn't make up the difference of losing Blatche and not having Kanter or Seraphin work out.

I guess you have to roll the dice one way or the other in order to improve though. Blatche does need to be upgraded and Kanter is probably our best, realistic shot for doing so.

Ideally we can get Kanter without losing Blatche so that he can be used to either find still another front court player or give us insurance in case Kanter fails.

That look like a winning power forward to you?

Does this?

0daac774df4a36c5fd8b43cf6e0e.jpg

Same mesurables as Dirk.

I'm not hyping Vesely. I think he's an option and right now none of the college kids really impress me in that spot.

---------- Post added May-19th-2011 at 03:05 AM ----------

From DX:

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Post-NBA-Draft-Lottery-Analysis-The-Implications-3706/

#6- Washington Wizards

Will Consider: Jan Vesely, Enes Kanter, Bismack Biyombo, Kawhi Leonard

The Wizards have to be disappointed by falling two spots to 6th overall, but still have a comparable group of prospects to choose from at this point. Vesely and Leonard would give them more athleticism and toughness on the wing, while Biyombo and Kanter would be frontcourt upgrades. Surely the team will go through an extended evaluation process before making their final decision, but Vesely is rumored to be the early favorite.

---------- Post added May-19th-2011 at 03:27 AM ----------

Someone sell me on Leonard. I'm just not seeing it.