Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Hope the Wizards can do whatever they can to package that #6 along w. Blatche. He HAS to go. I don't even care if we get fair value in return. He's such a negative on/off the court and the roster needs to be filled with committed players. Honestly, it would be addition by subtraction (going back to what I said about not caring about getting fair value).

For as bad as Shard's contract is, I'm willing to keep him around because he's not a bad influence. Of course if there is a way to get him off the books, you do that deal. However, Blatche is my #1 priority (if I'm EG) to move.

Let me ask yall...what teams do you think would be interested in making a move for Blatche?

Jan Vesely...that's my pick.

I still like Bismack but Vesely is prob #2 on my board. I still don't think it's beyond reason to think that Kanter can slip to 6.

---------- Post added May-17th-2011 at 09:22 PM ----------

Fwiw, Michael Heisley (Grizzlies owner) came out today and said that they weren't trading Rudy.

We'll see......

That's good to know. I've just seen the Gay to Cleveland rumors the last few days.

I wonder if the next NBA commish will try getting rid of this stupid lotto.

Congrats to the Cavs, they were abused by James. But if the NBA had a franchise tag, they wouldn't be in this situation.....and the NBA wouldn't be dealing with players who avoid playing against the best because its too hard.

Let's break this down:

1. Cleveland - ?

2. Minny - ?

3. Utah - ?

4. Cleveland - ?

5. Toronto - ?

6. Wizards

I can't see Minny or Toronto taking Kanter. I think Utah goes PG. So that leaves Cleveland. I think best case for us is for Cleveland to go Williams #1 and not Irving. Williams, Irving, Knight, Walker, Toronto picks ? and then Kanter slides to 6.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

I'd like Bismark or Leonard. Is this too high to pick Leonard? I'm so afraid of picking European players that its just crazy.

---------- Post added May-17th-2011 at 10:03 PM ----------

Because this is such a weak draft, maybe we can trade Blatche and Young for a pick ala the trade we did 2 years ago with Miller and Foye.

Let's break this down:

1. Cleveland - ?

2. Minny - ?

3. Utah - ?

4. Cleveland - ?

5. Toronto - ?

6. Wizards

I can't see Minny or Toronto taking Kanter. I think Utah goes PG. So that leaves Cleveland. I think best case for us is for Cleveland to go Williams #1 and not Irving. Williams, Irving, Knight, Walker, Toronto picks ? and then Kanter slides to 6.

wishful thinking buddy! here is how I see it shaking out:

cleveland: Irving

Minni: Williams, maybe even Kanter here

Utah: Knight

Cleveland: Kanter, or Williams if Minni goes Kanter

Tor: Bismack

Wash: Leonard

---------- Post added May-17th-2011 at 10:22 PM ----------

come to think of it...I'd be shocked if there isn't at least one trade in the top 5.

Cleveland could use one pick and trade for a vet w/ the other...although if they have the shot to go Irving and Kanter/Williams...that seams like a no brainer to me.

Utah really needs a 2 guard, with none worth taking here

Minnesota really needs a vet...not another busted lottery pick.

I'm not sure what assets we could use to move up, but I definitely think we could possibly move up to #3 and trade w/ the Jazz....maybe offer them #6, #18, and a lottery protected future first? Use that pick to take whoever is left over between Kanter and Williams.

Utah would stock pile picks and they'd still have a good shot at getting their guy at #6 (PG)

I think the best case scenario for us is that Utah takes Kanter or Williams, Knight falls to us...and we swap picks ...that way they still get their guy and then some...and we can get a player that will help us out right away. Problem is, PG is a need for Toronto as well, so Knight will likely not fall to us.

I can't see Minny wanting Williams or Kanter with Beasly and Love on the team. I don't think they'd pass on Williams but I can't see how they wouldn't prefer Irving. Johnny Flynn ain't cutting it and Rubio ain't coming over to play in cold ass Minnesota.

I can't see Minny wanting Williams or Kanter with Beasly and Love on the team. I don't think they'd pass on Williams but I can't see how they wouldn't prefer Irving. Johnny Flynn ain't cutting it and Rubio ain't coming over to play in cold ass Minnesota.

Minnesota is best suited to trade out of this pick. I'd be shocked if the Cavs don't take Kyrie Irving with the 1st overall pick. They are swearing up and down that Rubio is going to be playing there this coming year....I think he could be involved in their draft pick trade to an aging vet team trying to get younger....I just haven't figured out who that trade partner could bet yet. Maybe this is the Rudy Gay trade parter....even after they drafted Wes Johnson, it was well known across the NBA that they were trying to find a high caliber SF. LA could also be a trade partner....LA could trade Bynum and Odom for Rubio and the pick, then draft Kanter.

Minnesota would have a competitive starting lineup of:

Bynum

Love

Odom

Johnson

Flynn

with Beasly and Randolph coming off the bench

LA:

Kanter

Gasol

Artest

kobe

Rubio

LA gets younger and sheds cap and Minnesota becomes a competitive team that might save Kahan's job.

---------- Post added May-17th-2011 at 11:18 PM ----------

The more I read, the more I feel we're destined for Leonard. A defensive SF who is a guy who loves to work out. They say he has improved his shot in Vegas, but I'm more interested in him as somebody that can come in and help solidify a mentality of defense here.

I see that as well....although there are enough European players and players with lots of "upside" that Ernie may stray from the safe pick and swing for the fences.

I wouldn't be upset with the Leonard pick at all if we can't trade out of the pick or move up.

The more I read, the more I feel we're destined for Leonard. A defensive SF who is a guy who loves to work out. They say he has improved his shot in Vegas, but I'm more interested in him as somebody that can come in and help solidify a mentality of defense here.

I just can't be thrilled drafting a defensive player with a top ten pick. SF was an offensive black hole for the wizards last season and a wing player that can't shoot is like a point guard that can't pass. Shooting is what that position is all about! I'd be thrilled to get someone like him with our second pick but we need a player on both sides of the court with the #6 even if it's a project player. I know that Leonard has shown improvement on his shot but getting on the court in the NBA having just learned to shoot is alarming.

I should start a thread on dismantling the Lakers this offseason.....(not that it would happen) but I doubt they are going to win any more championships with the core of players they have.....Phil Jackson is leaving, Kobe is towards the end of his career, and they will not be able to keep Gasol/Bynum/Kobe in the age of the hard cap.

Give me your best ...Lakers dismantle their roster and plan for the future plan!

I just can't be thrilled drafting a defensive player with a top ten pick. SF was an offensive black hole for the wizards last season and a wing player that can't shoot is like a point guard that can't pass. Shooting is what that position is all about! I'd be thrilled to get someone like him with our second pick but we need a player on both sides of the court with the #6 even if it's a project player. I know that Leonard has shown improvement on his shot but getting on the court in the NBA having just learned to shoot is alarming.

well, word is he's been lighting up Vegas with his shooting, but I'm not counting on him being an elite scorer.

The problem is this player you speak of who is good on both sides of the ball doesn't exist in this draft at #6. There is nothing wrong with taking a defensive player with a top ten pick....just ask the Chicago Bulls how that turned out!

Isn't that why they're trying to move Booker to the 3 for though?

Yeah, but I think Leonard has more potential than Booker. Given Booker looked really nice with some of those putbacks, I think one of Steve Buchantz's comments in a blowout loss was "anytime Booker's leading your team in scoring, you know you're in trouble". I think Leonard will develop into a legit 3, with more upside than Booker.

The problem is this player you speak of who is good on both sides of the ball doesn't exist in this draft at #6. There is nothing wrong with taking a defensive player with a top ten pick....just ask the Chicago Bulls how that turned out!

Are you talking about Noah? Drafting a athletic center that can rebound, finish around the rim, and play defense is entirely different then drafting a wing with the same profile. Rebounding, finishing around the rim, and defense (with no outside shot) is not the description of a great SF.

Having said that if he can improve his shot he could turn into a great player. Shooters never develop a killer instinct around the rim... if he learns to shoot he's a defensive nightmare.

The fact that we have no backup center and Blatche is incredibly unpopular tells me the wiz will strongly consider some of those Euro big men. Especially with our GM.

Edited by Destino

Are you talking about Noah? Drafting a athletic center that can rebound, finish around the rim, and play defense is entirely different then drafting a wing with the same profile. Rebounding, finishing around the rim, and defense (with no outside shot) is not the description of a great SF.

Having said that if he can improve his shot he could turn into a great player. Shooters never develop a killer instinct around the rim... if he learns to shoot he's a defensive nightmare.

I think you answered your own question....shooting is the easiest skill to teach in the NBA....you can't teach leadership, basketball IQ, toughness, or heart. Leonard seems to have all the above....I definitely wouldn't mind having this guy on my team.

I agree with you that you want your wings to be able to score, but every team needs a shut down perimeter defender like Leonard. This team has a long way to go...we just need to improve it one piece at a time....maybe we will have another bad year and strike gold in the loaded draft next year.

---------- Post added May-17th-2011 at 11:57 PM ----------

oh and by the way destino...your description of that SF: defense, finishing around the rim, rebounding.......add good passer to that and you have LeBron James...he is not a great shooter...he has improved over the course of the last 7 years...but he used to be a sub par shooter. Dwade is another example of a guy who wasn't a good shooter when he came into the league....

I'm in no way trying to compare Leonard to either of these guys....I just wouldn't discount a guy just because he isn't an excellent shooter coming out of college.

Chad Ford has us taking Klay Thomson with #18, who he says rivals Jimmer as the best shooter in the draft...I don't know much about this guy...but he'd be worth looking into.

---------- Post added May-18th-2011 at 12:04 AM ----------

just watched some youtube of Klay Thompson...he looks like the real deal on the offensive side of the ball....I'm with Chad Ford....I'm on the Klay bandwagon at #18

Edited by Gator Bait

I don't know if shooting is necessarily the easiest skill you can teach. How many guys come into the league unable to shoot and stay that way? If it were so easy to teach, more guys would be good at it, but the NBA right now is chock full of guys who can't shoot for crap.

I don't know if shooting is necessarily the easiest skill you can teach. How many guys come into the league unable to shoot and stay that way? If it were so easy to teach, more guys would be good at it, but the NBA right now is chock full of guys who can't shoot for crap.

I didn't say it was easy to teach...I said it is the easiest to teach. there are a ton of players like LeBron, Dwade, Paul, Rose etc. who aren't very good shooters coming into the league....and they improve.