Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'm not opposed to Griffin, but Beal, Porter, and an unprotected first I wouldn't be in to. And really more for Porter than Beal, oddly enough.

However, Beal hasn't been anywhere close to a max player, so if he were inclined to get that from somebody, I'd let him walk. And that unprotected first could very well be in the lottery this year.

I just don't see Griffin being worth half the roster and all of its young talent sans Wall. Boogie might be worth it but not Griffin. But I'm an big believer in Beals potential and what he's going to become so I'm most likely biased.

I was on that Beal train for a while, but I get further away from that as I watch him, rather than closer. I get a "what you see is what you get" kinda vibe. Obviously, his Mr. Glass tendencies are troubling. And he's not really a dynamic player. And I get it, he's so young, he hasn't even hit his prime yet.

I can see his career being more Allan Houston, than Ray Allen. And Allan Houston was a good player and had a really good career, but it wasn't Ray Allen level.

I like the argument that adding Griffin would make it more likely for Durant to come home. I want to win a championship. Bringing him home would easily make it a realistic possibility for the first time in my life. And I just don't see it happening with the roster as is..

It's definitely scary. I definitely have a huge issue with a 2016 unprotected 1st. And I definitely really, really, really despise Blake Griffin's whiney **** ass. All that said....sign me up. **** it. We ain't doing **** as is. Blow this **** up, roll the dice and shoot for the moon.

Curious what potential offers would trump ours. Off the top of my head, I wonder if Cleveland could put something together with Love.

Love might actually make sense if the Clippers want to improve shooting.  Paul would get love a million easy shots, and not as the third option.  He's not as good IMO but he's different. 

Wouldn't make sense for the Cavs though.  They need more shooting, not less.

Tough for me to sign off on trading Porter. He looks like a guy that's gonna end up being a championship level role-player type from about 2017 to 2025. Very cerebral and smooth...and maturing at a very fast pace over the last year or so.

That said, Wall + Griffin + KD sounds like a lotta fun!

Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Like 1

Curious what potential offers would trump ours. Off the top of my head, I wonder if Cleveland could put something together with Love.

I think a team that could put together a package of forwards and draft picks. Ideally, they'd want a PF in replacement for Griffin.

Man, if I were LA and got a mandate to trade Blake, I'd take that Love deal.

But like Destino said, Love is probably a better fit for them skillset-wise too. And since Cleveland is trying to win now, Griffin being out for two months is dicey for them.

But there are also concerns about Love's fit in Cleveland, from a personality perspective. He called out LeBron by name in the media a couple of weeks ago. And the rumors have been saying for a year and a half that he just doesn't fit in with the rest of the locker room.

And Blake is a better player than Love, so there is that.

I think Boston could also create a good offer because they have so many big men and draft picks. They are desperate to try and consolidate their assets into a star player.

Personally, I would want Beal more than anything they'd have to offer. I wouldn't trade Beal for any of their assets, including that Brooklyn lotto pick. Not unless I'm trading Wall too and pulling the plug and starting over. But I'm not sure the league feels that way about Beal.

I said this when he was drafted. It was an waste to even pick him. Just deal the pick away because Randy isn't going to play him.

Otto had to go through the same thing and he was a #3 overall draft pick who was much more polished coming out of college. Oubre's time will come. But he's going to have to earn PT by paying his dues and developing his skills and understanding of the game first. And that's ultimately going to be good for him.

In the meantime, Kelly will get PT when injuries occur, like he did in December and January. You can already tell he's a keeper, and he's going to be an important part of our future. But you can also tell he's not ready for a regular rotation spot yet. And there is now shame in this. We knew he was very raw and that he was going to be a long term project.

But you can also tell he's not ready for a regular rotation spot yet. And there is now shame in this. We knew he was very raw and that he was going to be a long term project.

Drew Gooden is getting minutes for this team, I refuse to believe they can't find consistent spot minutes for Oubre

Drew Gooden is getting minutes for this team, I refuse to believe they can't find consistent spot minutes for Oubre

Who do you sit for Kelly though? Can't be Porter, Beal, or Dudley. I'd say Neal, but Neal has actually been pretty good this year. 10 PPG with a 109 ORtg and he's shooting 47% from the floor and 42% from three. That's good for a microwave type shot creator for the second unit. Neal is a play him if he's hot, sit him if he's not type of guy. So presumably you could give his minutes to Oubre on nights where he doesn't have it. But that won't lead to consistent burn for Oubre. And it's tough for a young player to get himself prepared for such an inconsistent role.

Temple is the only other one whose minutes you could give to Oubre. I don't know if that helps us net-net. Temple is limited, but reliable. Oubre is as likely to make a spectacular play as a killer mistake. And it might not sit well in the locker room for Garrett to lose his minutes to a rookie who is a 50/50 player.

Next year will be different. Probably going to lose Dudley and Neal. Temple seems to be our permanent break glass in case of emergency guy. But there will be minutes opening up for Oubre and he'll have made some strides as a player. He'll also have an advantage over new guys being brought in by having been here already.

I have this theory that I repeat so much that I'm hoping it will catch on, "Shooting is contagious, good and bad."

Or more clearly: it always seems like the team goes into feasts and famines of shooting together. When we start out a first quarter and miss a bunch of threes, you know it's going to be one of those 3-17 or 5-20 nights and we're going to have to really work to score 100 points. But on the flip side, when we see even Garrett Temple and Ramon Sessions start knocking down threes, then you know it'll be one of those good nights where we shoot like 13-26.

I bring this up because the past couple games have been such a rough go from the three point line, which was really hammered home by Golden State dropping 20 threes on us like it was nothing. Teams have been shelling us from three this year. We have three 40% three ball shooters. It's demoralizing to be outshot from deep by Philly.