Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Our fanbase is small. It is what it is. It's hard to fill up an arena 41 times a year with such a small fanbase, and casual fans don't follow the NBA until Christmas too. The Verizon Center was great during the playoffs. It's going to take a while to get that level of fan enthusiasm throughout the year.

DC's transient nature doesn't really help either. You see the similar situations at FedEx & Nats Park as well. I can't really speak to hockey, but they seem to have best fan support of the local teams.

DC's transient nature doesn't really help either. You see the similar situations at FedEx & Nats Park as well. I can't really speak to hockey, but they seem to have best fan support of the local teams.

The level of support the Caps get demonstrates the potential support the Wizards could enjoy if they become consistent playoff participants too.

The Wizards have had an awful brand for the past thirty years. That's whittled the fan base down to a small number of diehards concentrated in the counties directly surrounding DC. Take a look at this twitter data map and it gives you a sense of just how small the fanbase is compared to the most popular franchises: https://interactive.twitter.com/nba_followers/#?mode=team&team=all

Montgomery and Fairfax counties are the only ones where the Wizards are the #1 mentioned team. Pretty much everywhere else in the region it's the goddamn Lakers.

It's going to take a long time for the team to grow the fanbase.

• Like 1

The team has started slow this season, and I think that our early season struggles could persist for a while as we try and adapt to new faces and a new style of play.

My fear is that we'll lose so much ground during the process of trying to get it figured out that we'll lose our chance at a high seed and a home playoff series. Cleveland is a super team and Atlanta and Toronto are major regular season overachievers. And the Bulls are steady.

We've been road warriors in the playoffs, but I'm tired of making these underachieving middle seed runs when the team should finish much higher than it does. And I don't want us to have to play Cleveland in an early round.

And the fierce competition for the final four seeds in the East this year also bears watching. There are probably 6 or 7 playoff caliber teams competing for those spots, and Detroit is off to a great start.

- Temple made me eat my words. He played very well on both ends.

- Hump's big night shows how good our offense can look when we have a 4 reliably hitting open threes.

- I think Wall played a little passive until the fourth quarter. He was getting to the rim and passing out instead of forcing the issue and getting to the FT line. I want to see him shooting more FTs on a night like tonight. He's also struggling to find his shot. Forced some early clock looks when he had open shooters.

He took us home in the fourth quarter though.

- Fournier has a little bit of Manu in his game.

- I generally liked what Oubre did tonight. The guy really glides around the floor.

- Another quietly good performance from Otto. I haven't looked at his stat line, but he makes the routine good play every time. Once he finds his three ball this season his efficiency numbers are going to be crazy. I think he's already the highest IQ player on our team.

Gortat is still struggling to finish his easiest looks. But he stayed with it tonight and made some important shots and he also did a good job on the glass against a good rebounding Orlando team. I didn't like seeing Randy call Gortat out publicly for his lack of rebounding last game. That stuff needs to be kept in house. But it did light a fire under March and he put in great effort on the offensive glass.