Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Assuming KD doesn't come here, I'd look ino trading everyone not named Wall or Beal for Derrick Favors. Gortat+1sts+Oubre might get it done. Favors is only 24 and probably the most underrated player regardless of position in the NBA. Unfortunately he isn't a FA until 2018 which is why trading for him is the only plausible way, but you would also have to hope Utah finishes in purgatory again, and I think they'll eventually be contending for the 8th seed this season so that dream might be foolish.

Al Horford is another option but I am skeptical of maxing him out although he'd also be a near perfect fit. He has less mileage on his legs since the pectoral tears sidelined him for like 2 seasons, but he has since fixed his lifting habits so I don't think his health is an issue anymore. 

Terrance Jones is worth throwing some money at, he is a starting quality 4, not great yet but still relatively young for a big. 

Outside of that I'd look for a stopgap 4 in '16 and hold off till the '17 FA class to be honest. The '16 FA class is kinda meh for our needs. 

Boogie would be one i'd try to get. With Wall as his PG, he'd be unstoppable.

Unfortunately he isn't a FA until 2018. But I agree with you, that's our ideal target that summer. He could help us transition from Gortat and give us an AS team. We'll probably be players for him too if we have the cap space, because of his close connection to Wall.

If KD doesn't come here than you keep building. If Otto develops the same way Wall and Beal did you could be looking at another max player. I only spend that money on Durant, otherwise worry about my own and keep building.

I doubt Porter reaches that level, but if he did, that would be incredible. We honestly wouldn't need any more big splash acquisitions if we had three perennial All Stars. Just keep the trio together and keep them surrounded with the right mix of role players for the next ten years, like San Antonio did with their homegrown big three.

That would be a dream come true, but I don't know if I can see that kind of upside in Porter.

If KD doesn't come here than you keep building. If Otto develops the same way Wall and Beal did you could be looking at another max player. I only spend that money on Durant, otherwise worry about my own and keep building.

Yea, this seems like the route with the highest probability. There just arent any max level 4's (or quality for that matter) available next season. Horford is a phenomenal 5, but he cant really stretch the floor to the perimeter and has had injury issues. I dont think he's worth it. Perhaps just grabbing better role players not coming off of back/knee/ankle surgeries would be a good idea.

If we continue the same arc, next season would be Otto's breakout year (see Wall, Beal). Oubre will have added some mass and could begin grabbing some quality minutes. Then we have a 6'7" pg coming in as well, who is certain to atleast get the mle. I anticipate Temple getting grandfathered in, and Sessions getting a fair offer (but ultimately i think he might leave). Our only front court player on the roster next year is Gortat, and we have no developmental bigs to be found. Could be disastrous.

Parsons has a player option, so there is an extremely small possibility. Ilyasova is available again i think, albeit another year older. Then there is Dudley. Its slim pickin's.

if Durant chooses to come here, he plays where he very damn well pleases 

Ok that didn't come out the way I wanted it to. Lemme be clear: I'm not saying that we should pass on him if he isn't willing to play the 4. But as the team is currently constructed, we could use him at the 4 (that is, guarding the other teams' 4; as he'd be a stretch 4, he'd be doing the same stuff he is now offensively) moreso than the 3, provided that he's able to make the transition.

Edited by TheItalianStallion

Ok that didn't come out the way I wanted it to. Lemme be clear: I'm not saying that we should pass on him if he isn't willing to play the 4. But as the team is currently constructed, we could use him at the 4 moreso than the 3, provided that he's able to make the transition.

The transition wouldn't be that big of an issue. I don't think his position matters so much as his placement on the court offensively and defensively. Hump is getting more and more perimeter looks on offense and he's a 4, not asked at all to put his back to the basket and do anything. Defensively it could be an issue depending on who we play.

• Like 1

Durant WILL get to do whatever he wants WHEN he comes here next year. :) And I'm fine with that, he'd make this offense more versatile and harder to defend. We could run the spacing game we're doing now with him at the 4, or we could slow it down and let Durant and Beal create their own offense. With Wall, Beal, Otto, and KD we'd be the favorite in the East every year.

I don't KD will do that. All through his career he has done the opposite of Lebron. When Lebron had that wack ass ESPN special and bolted to Miami, KD quietly announced he signed an extension and stayed with the team that drafted him. Durant has always kept his counsel close and low-key, where Lebron has always made a spectacle about everything. I think the least likely decision he makes is anything that Lebron does.