Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I love the Wizards back court with NY and JC but honestly is that a championship back court? Thats a huge question mark anybody can put up numbers with bigtime minutes AND SHOTS but NY struggled up until this year getting any meaniful minutes and JC could'nt sniff the court for a playoff team in ATL.

Not to be nitpicky but JC not being able to sniff the court in ATL is understandable.

He played behind an all-star caliber guard in Joe Johnson and a former 6th man of the year award winner in Jamal Crawford. :2cents:

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

I know the difference between football and basketball I played both. Your missing my point though both teams have huge holes and are along way from competing for anything. Bismack I watched in one game and some youtube video's its really not enough out there for me to fairly judge him. Kanter to me is a plodder and this team needs to be uptempo with the way its currently constructed.

I love the Wizards back court with NY and JC but honestly is that a championship back court? Thats a huge question mark anybody can put up numbers with bigtime minutes AND SHOTS but NY struggled up until this year getting any meaniful minutes and JC could'nt sniff the court for a playoff team in ATL.

My point is this I think Irving, Knight and Kembo will make a bigger impact then NY or JC ever will. Those 3 guys have all star potential and I honestly like Knight more then Irving. I'm not worried about minutes because the best players will play. If this team has 2 all star PG's that is serious trade bait to go after a bigtime star at a postion of need when were ready to take that next step.

Please don't bust out the athlete card. Playing a sport doesn't mean one knows how to build a team. Isiah Thomas. Matt Millen. Michael Jordan. And I have both played and coached basketball. So now what?

I'm not missing your point. I'm saying your point is wrong. And again, it's apples and oranges. What it takes to build a roster and the time involved are entirely different.

For the sake of argument let's says it's the same though. The Redskins aren't in the same place as the Wiz. They wish they were. The Wiz have a roster full of young promising players. They're well into a rebuild. The Skins roster is filled with fading vets, has beens, never was' and they don't have anyone remotely close to the type of impact franche player that John Wall is. John Wall is Sam Bradford. The Skins got Trent Williams.

And we don't know what exactly we have in Crawford and Young. One is a rookie who spent the first half of the year buried behind all stars and the other is finally getting consistent minutes for the first time in his career.

Besides, we wouldn't have two All Star PG's. We'd have one and a backup we spent a top 5 pick on. If you think having two pass-first PG's is a good idea that can work, I can't help you there. That's not going to work. It never has worked. Wall is better than both. They aren't going to get minutes here. It's a waste of a draft pick. So how are you going to get good value for a player you don't need who doesn't get any playing time? The time to a trade is on draft day, not years later.

Now I guess you can make a case for Kemba (with an A) Walker as he's more of a scorer, but in a normal draft he's barely scratching the lottery. He's a 6-foot scorer. And his name isn't Allen Iverson. I'd rather draft a promising big at a position we actually need and let NY and Crawford do their thing.

---------- Post added April-22nd-2011 at 11:26 PM ----------

Here, let's look at some history:

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/02/22/sports/knicks-trade-strickland-to-spurs-for-cheeks.html

Strick was the 19th overall pick and Cheeks played one season in New York. The Knicks ****ed up. Period. It wasn't going to work, it didn't work and they got nothing to show for it. How much more of a waste it would've been if Strick was a top 5 pick?

Brandon Knight can play the 2 as well he is a big PG with long arms like Wall but he is stronger also a much better man defender. He is gonna be a star nobody on the Wizards roster will keep him off the court. He will be a better pro then NY and JC who I both like and fully support. I love the trio but I just don't believe in drafting a position of need over the BPA thats how you miss on the Jordans etc. It stinks so many guys returned to school because this draft is very weak at the top. I think this team has young potential but other then Wall the other guys are just that.

To the Wizards / Redskins thing. The Wizards are one of the youngest teams in the league. They have plenty of draft picks, a long term plan, and an owner that will have the patience to implement it. The Redskins have made moves to get younger but that is still a work in progress and they lack draft picks. The biggest problem however is they have an owner with no long term plan.

Edited by Destino

To the Wizards / Redskins thing. The Wizards are one of the youngest teams in the league. They have plenty of draft picks, a long term plan, and an owner that will have the patience to implement it. The Redskins have made moves to get younger but that is still a work in progress and they lack draft picks. The biggest problem however is they have an owner with no plan long term plan.

I agree, my only comparison really was that both are far from competing for anything meaniful, championships. If they were 1 piece away I could see maybe reaching for a postion of need but at this point both teams should be drafting BPA. I'm just a big Best player available guy over positions of need unless they are ranked fairly close on your board.

Edited by Samuels

To the Wizards / Redskins thing. The Wizards are one of the youngest teams in the league. They have plenty of draft picks, a long term plan, and an owner that will have the patience to implement it. The Redskins have made moves to get younger but that is still a work in progress and they lack draft picks. The biggest problem however is they have an owner with no long term plan.

Personally, I think the Skins' have the opportunity to get better much quicker than the Wizards.

Once there's a new CBA, we'll have tons of money to spend on what is widely considered to be the greatest FA class in NFL history.

And as for not having enough draft picks....that's not actually true. I believe we have 8 picks in this draft.

We just don't have a 3rd or 4th.....and I suspect they'll recoup one or two of those picks in a trade down.

So yeah, I think the Skins are closer to contention than the Wiz....especially with all the parity in the NFL today.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

The Redskins aren't competing for anything without a legitimate QB. Then you have to take into consideration that the rookie QB will most likely struggle and may not pan out.

They aren't making it out of the NFC East when the other three teams have quality QB's and we might be starting Rex Grossman on opening day.

The Redskins aren't competing for anything without a legitimate QB. Then you have to take into consideration that the rookie QB will most likely struggle and may not pan out.

They aren't making it out of the NFC East when the other three teams have quality QB's and we might be starting Rex Grossman on opening day.

I'm not saying the Skins will be immediately better but I still think they'll contend before the Wiz.

Personally, I think the Skins' have the opportunity to get better much quicker than the Wizards....

So yeah, I think the Skins are closer to contention than the Wiz....especially with all the parity in the NFL today.

I think that's only because of the nature of each sport. Football players are older and develop and hit their primes much more quickly than basketball players. You'll be in year 6 before you see a big hit his stride and that's the tail end of a good NFL player's career.

Not only that, the good teams in the NBA have almost always been entrenched and it's extremely hard to break into the upper echelon. There is probably less parody in the NBA than any other major sport.

But that doesn't change the fact that the Wizards are currently in much better long term position than the Redskins. The Redskins won't be as promising until they draft a good young QB.

Thank you Mcqueen. As I said, it's apples and oranges. What it takes to build a roster and how long it takes to turn it around is completely different. But with all that said, right now, the Wiz have done and are doing more to make it happen. They are on the right track. You have a general sense of where the Wiz are headed. You don't with the Skins.

The fact that Calipari had him ready to go to Kentucky is a big factor and may be a clue to how coaches think his euro game will translate to the NBA.

He was in the US--out in Cali I think--for his senior year of HS basketball.

But yeah, I said long ago that my dream draft is 4) Kanter, 18) Bismack, 34) Tyler Honeycutt

If anyone wants to read the most cringe worthy homer article:

http://dimemag.com/2011/04/the-wizards-are-the-nbas-model-rebuilding-franchise/2/

. JaVale McGee and Andray Blatche are as solid as a rock

The Wizards’ starting frontcourt is about as stable as they get. First you’ve got your prototypical scoring power forward in Andray Blatche. At 6-11, he’s tall enough to matchup with just about any other player at his position. He possesses the post moves and offensive ability you can rely on for points in the paint. If he gets any better down there, he’ll be approaching the level of dominance that would make the Wizards’ inside-out game almost unguardable. They have the shooters on the perimeter to keep the defense honest, so Blatche is going to be able to go one-on-one all day long. At the center position, JaVale McGee is one of the most athletic centers in the game. With loads of potential, McGee is going to turn out to be a force at the five-spot. He’s already gained experience playing alongside the NBA’s best last summer, and recently has been earning himself a little bit more respect throughout the League. His athleticism at the center position is unmatched. He’s unbelievably quick for a seven-footer, and his length complements his athleticism in such a way that allows him to make highlight blocks a regular thing. If he bulks up a little, he’ll be able to become an elite defender. The best part about these two is that they’re both relatively young and only going to get better.

:rotflmao:

Edited by No Excuses

Haha. You don't see many overrating Blatche these days. Impressive. And I guess he doesn't realize that SF is also part of a front court.

You know, its unreal how Javale is being overrated amongst NBA fans. I'm a member at two NBA boards. I've seen people list him as a top 5 center. Not a majority, but enough to be a trend.

Haha. You don't see many overrating Blatche these days. Impressive. And I guess he doesn't realize that SF is also part of a front court.
That article is ****ing ridiculous. I'm hungover right now and I can't even deal with it's stupidity. It makes my eyes hurt.
You know, its unreal how Javale is being overrated amongst NBA fans. I'm a member at two NBA boards. I've seen people list him as a top 5 center. Not a majority, but enough to be a trend.

It's because he's a top 5 athlete at center.

But how about this--is Javale is a top 5 center in the East? He might be actually. That's how sad the position has become league wide.

1.) Howard

2.) Bogut

3.) Noah

um...

4.) Horford counts I guess?

5.) Brook Lopez? He's got offensive skills Javale lacks but otherwise he's not that impressive. You could probably interchange him with Javale or Hibbert, this is a big dropoff.

There are basically no true centers out there to upgrade Javale with. Going to have to get one in the draft.

Howard

Noah

Bogut

I'd take Hibbert as well.

It looks like Horford has slid over to the PF spot which IMO is his natural position in the pros.

Brook Lopez is ridiculously overrated and I'd easily take Javale over him.

I'd take Greg Monroe over Javale as well but Javale is a better player right now.

1. Howard

2. Noah.

3. Bogut

4. Hibbert

5. McGee

I think we'd be players for free agent Dwight, but I don't think it's ever getting to that point. I think he gets traded and inked long term. Not sure we have the pieces to make a trade happen. Maybe, maybe, if Javale and NY continue to grow and improve and/or Blatche pulls his head out of his ass (about as likely as 12-21-2012 being the end of the world), they'd be nice pieces and make a trade at least possible. But then you have to factor in that we play in the same division as Orlando and they're probably not going to want to trade him within it.

You wizard fans here are really hard on our young players no one wants too be patient. Blatche has earned his hatred the guy did dumb things after dumb things and some are tired, understandable. But JaVale is really really young! Coming out of college he was as raw as it comes and said by all scouts too take at least 3 years to be NBA ready! And maybe a year or 2 in the D League of those 3 years. First year as full time starter struggled at times but also showEd so much potential. Why are everyone here quick too bring out all his faults and talk about replacing him. First Dwight is not coming too Washington! Second you have a guy on your roster right now that has potential too be a top 5 center in the league. Go ahead and get rid of him and watch him turn into a star

I have no idea what you're talking about. You're acting like we're having some big discussion about how much a bum McGee is. All we did is talk about how we'd trade him for Dwight (duh) and how people overrate him and he isn't a top 5 center in the league (duh.)