Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

How is Nick Young a me first player who needs to be reigned in? Yeah he can't pass for ****, but that doesn't make him a black hole. He's extremely valuable as an off ball shooter and spot up 3 shooter.

I never see him play outside of the limits of the system the way Blatche tends too. With Nick, it's usually off ball shooting where he is almost always required to put it up.

How is Nick Young a me first player who needs to be reigned in? Yeah he can't pass for ****, but that doesn't make him a black hole. He's extremely valuable as an off ball shooter and spot up 3 shooter.

I never see him play outside of the limits of the system the way Blatche tends too. With Nick, it's usually off ball shooting where he is almost always required to put it up.

Eh. From what i have seen this season NY is either great, or one of the primary reasons for loss. (not to the extent of Blatche) He is a great player no doubt. But when his shot is off he repeatedly jacks them up. He also rarely looks to pass, especially if his shot is on. I like him, but i just dont know about him.

Well maybe my memory is faded but I can't remember more than one or two games this year where I thought to myself, "damn ****ing Nick Young". His hot shooting nights and consistent offensive play has kept us in significantly more games than any other player on this team. He also performs his best against the elite competition in the league.

Well yeah. But that is what i mean. He looks damn good on the surface. His 360 layup was golden. The problem though is that during those amazing streaks that he goes on, our entire team relies on him. He winds up taking like 10 shots straight! This happens all the time. Like Bill Simmons said, he just does not ever pass. He has never seen a shot he doesnt like. It kind of destroys the rhythm of the offense when he takes contested/rushed/unorthodox shots so often. Our team just goes into a 'watch nick young offense.'

Well he really has no other choice. I'd rather have Nick try to score more than any other player on the team.

We barely get offensive production from the SF or C spot. The PF spot gives us offensive production at a piss poor efficiency rate. Wall does his thing but he's not reliable enough to be the primary scorer yet. Young has pretty much been the only player who has played an efficient game for this team. With more options around him, he could do a lot more damage from the 3 point line.

Young is a good player to have around. And like Vishal said, it's a wonderful problem having three good guards capable of starting. I just don't think he's better than Crawford will end up being if he gets another year or two of seasoning under his belt.

There are situations where Young is very valuable. He plays lights out and is a tough matchup against great teams like the Lakers and Heat. When you've got to spread the floor out and absolutely make your free throws, put both Crawford and Young in at the 2 and 3.

Like Samuels said, Wall + Crawford + Young means all your minutes at guard are spoken for and we don't need anyone else. We can focus entirely on upgrading our forwards and figuring out a rotation at the 5 (I like McGee + Kanter + Seraphin down the road).

McGee, Kanter, Seraphin and Booker is indeed a really nice front court if all 4 can even come close to hitting their ceilings. You've got a lot of hammer and finesse.

Wonder what we can do with the SF spot. That to me is the biggest hole on this team. There isn't even any developmental talent at the SF spot. Wonder how much Jeff Green will cost in the offseason?

McGee, Kanter, Seraphin and Booker is indeed a really nice front court if all 4 can even come close to hitting their ceilings. You've got a lot of hammer and finesse.

Wonder what we can do with the SF spot. That to me is the biggest hole on this team. There isn't even any developmental talent at the SF spot. Wonder how much Jeff Green will cost in the offseason?

2012 draft class will be strong with 2's & 3's

Watch out for Tyler Honeycutt with our 2nd 1st rounder that would be a nice pickup, but also like its said 2012 is good for 2's and 3's

Simmons says you need an 8 1/2 man rotation to be a successful team. I disagree that this is a hard and fast formula and other formulas work too. But his formula does make sense:

5 starters, 3 key bench players, 1 guy who provides injury insurance (the half player).

Of your five starters, you need two scorers, a facilitator/ball handler, a perimeter stopper, and a rebounder. I think I'd refine it to say you need two scorers--one perimeter and one post.

We're a little different and more specialized than his broad formula. I think it's better to say that in today's NBA, you're two most valuable positions are a playmaking PG who can also attack and a forward who can create his own shots, run the floor, excel in a pick and roll, and pull down defensive rebounds. You can build everything from there. Basically, it's John Wall + Blake Griffin and you've got your foundation. Then you add the key pieces--perimeter shooter, perimeter stopper, defensive post presence, tough guy enforcer, offensive finisher, etc.

I think Javale is our above the rim guy; I think Young is our perimeter shooter and offensive spacer; Booker is our gritty glue guy; Crawford is our perimeter scorer who can beat people off the dribble and excel in transition; Wall is obviously our playmaker; Seraphin is a potential head hunting enforcer.

We need very special players at the 3 and 4. The 3 needs to be a perimeter stopper and hopefully someone who can crush pick and roles. Harrison Barnes would be a good fit for this as he projects like an elite defender.

The 4 needs to be able to generate offense in the paint and pile up defensive rebounds. I doubt we'll be lucky enough to find a 4 that can run and finish like Blake Griffin unless Perry Jones ends up living up to his potential. That's why I'm thinking Kanter would be a solid fit because he's big, tough, he can rebound and has some post moves.

You're right, he did have 2 years left. But as I remember, he had some sort of kicker in his old contract that would boost his pay, so they had been in talks with him at the start of the season. And it's $7 mil per. And I think there are some incentives on top of that.

Lol at you guys saying Nick Young is a good defender. Just because of his size does not make him a great defender he's ok pretty average.

I do infact like Nick coming off the bench as the Jason Terry, Jamal Crawford role as a scorer coming off the bench but not as a start.

Blatche is still young don't forget he came out of high school and can be a late bloomer like J Oneal not physically but as a late bloomer. Also don't forget what be was doing last year the second half the the season. Saying immature well yeah you drafting kids out of High School.

Lol at you guys saying Nick Young is a good defender. Just because of his size does not make him a great defender he's ok pretty average.

I do infact like Nick coming off the bench as the Jason Terry, Jamal Crawford role as a scorer coming off the bench but not as a start.

Blatche is still young don't forget he came out of high school and can be a late bloomer like J Oneal not physically but as a late bloomer. Also don't forget what be was doing last year the second half the the season. Saying immature well yeah you drafting kids out of High School.

Blatche is worthless. 6 seasons, a chance to be a star of a national basketball team, and he still doesnt have heart. He is better off somewhere else. Id rather have Micheal Ruffin.

I can pull out the stats just to show how wrong you are about Nick not being a good defender, but I think I'll let you swim in your sea of ignorance. Every thread needs the one guy who is consistently wrong about almost everything.

Don't waste your time I think most of us that watch every wizard game can tell the difference between the casual fan.

You're right, he did have 2 years left. But as I remember, he had some sort of kicker in his old contract that would boost his pay, so they had been in talks with him at the start of the season. And it's $7 mil per. And I think there are some incentives on top of that.

Love your sig!

I can pull out the stats just to show how wrong you are about Nick not being a good defender, but I think I'll let you swim in your sea of ignorance. Every thread needs the one guy who is consistently wrong about almost everything.

Stats don't show good defense....I really hate it when fans point out Block and steal stats to justify "defense" Arenas and McGee have always had really good steal/block numbers and they are both terrible defenders.

Not calling you out here Vishal...just pointing out that you can't use stats as evidence of defense. That being said, you are correct....Nick is definitely an above average defender and I'll go so far as to say he is the best defender on our team. He has really shown maturity this year in all aspects of the game. Another fact about Nick that is overshadowed is how he put on about 15 pounds of muscle this off-season, I think he is "all in" and we need to keep him.

Bring your stats out please, I have watched almost every wizards game this year and I am yet too be impressed with nick youngs "elite" defense. He is not a Shut down defender period get over it the only thing he does is score in spurts that's it.

I am the guy that is wrong about everything why because I don't agree with you?

On another note....I was at the game sitting in the club level (don't waste your money with these...club really sucks....it's all about the lower level) so I may have missed a bit of the game due to bull****ting and intoxication...but it appeared to me that Blatche hat about 75% of his offensive rebounds from missing layups himself and getting the rebound over a soft Cleveland team for a put back.

I will say that I believe Blatche had a pretty good game against Miami and a good statistical performance against Cleveland, but we've seen this from him before. I don't think Dray is committed to working out in the offseason to get better; he doesn't have the maturity to be a leader in the locker room (actually takes the reverse approach and is a cancer influencing our young guys) I really hope Dray has lights out games to close out the season, so maybe Ernie can work out a lopsided trade and get something of value for Dray. Get rid of him!

Blatche was hurt pretty much all off season. People seem too forget that they was just hanging on Blatche's balls the second half of last season.

My whole theory of the Washington Wizards is Flip Saunders. He's offense constantly is a joke he allows Blatche and Young too do whatever they wan. The offense goes through them and not Wall I don't mean Wall shooting up shots but penetrating and creating easy shots more for his teammates. I love Young as a spot up shooter I thought he made great strides this year at setting up and knocking down the 3. I don't like him coming off hundreds of screens shooting the ball every time he touches the ball. I also don't like Blatche getting the ball every possession at the top of the key he should be in the post.

---------- Post added April-3rd-2011 at 03:44 PM ----------

Nick Young is no where near the best defender on the team. Seraphin, Booker, Jeffers, Mo Evans, Josh Howard are all better defenders than Nick Young and that isn't saying much cause this team is defensively challenged.

---------- Post added April-3rd-2011 at 03:45 PM ----------

Nick Young is no where near the best defender on the team. Seraphin, Booker, Jeffers, Mo Evans, Josh Howard are all better defenders than Nick Young and that isn't saying much cause this team is defensively challenged.

Stats don't show good defense....I really hate it when fans point out Block and steal stats to justify "defense" Arenas and McGee have always had really good steal/block numbers and they are both terrible defenders.

Not calling you out here Vishal...just pointing out that you can't use stats as evidence of defense. That being said, you are correct....Nick is definitely an above average defender and I'll go so far as to say he is the best defender on our team. He has really shown maturity this year in all aspects of the game. Another fact about Nick that is overshadowed is how he put on about 15 pounds of muscle this off-season, I think he is "all in" and we need to keep him.

I'm not talking about blocks and steals. If I had to guess, Nick probably sucks really bad at both categories. I'm talking off on/off differential numbers, opponent PER ratings, a bunch of various other metric systems that most NBA teams have started using.

Nick outplays his assignment on pretty much every given night. I think people are still using his rookie reputation to base their opinion of him. I hope GM's in the league do the same. He's a really valuable asset for this team going forward.

I'm not talking about blocks and steals. If I had to guess, Nick probably sucks really bad at both categories. I'm talking off on/off differential numbers, opponent PER ratings, a bunch of various other metric systems that most NBA teams have started using.

Nick outplays his assignment on pretty much every given night. I think people are still using his rookie reputation to base their opinion of him. I hope GM's in the league do the same. He's a really valuable asset for this team going forward.

IMO Only delusional Wizards fans rank Nick Young the way they do,I tell you what I hope the lakers go sour with Artest again because i would male that trade in an heart beat. Wizards need too get physical