Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

He's not a serious MVP candidate. He has no chance at winning unless OKC finishes as a top two seed. That isn't going to happen.

Also, so long as Durant is playing with him in OKC, he will never win an MVP.

Westbrook will at least get votes though, if he keeps playing the way he has.

Im not the biggest fan of advanced metrics unless they confirm what I am seeing, but yes he is. Right now Westbrook is having the best PER season of all time. He probably will not sustain it, but since he has come back OKC have lost just one game. If they play .700 ball from here on out and Russy can keep a pace that is very close to that level, he not only has a chance but he probably deserves to win.

edited my post.

Edited by JoeWolf990

Westbrook is playing out of his mind but having Durant there hurts him. It's not fair but I think he's a long shot to win it. To be clear I'm not saying he is undeserving, only that I don't think he'll get enough votes.

Westbrook has always been under appreciated. On virtually any other team he's a superstar but because he has the NBAs best scorer with him people give him **** for taking shots. He, more than Durant, makes that offense go. Which makes sense being that he's a PG, Durant is not a point forward, and Scott Brooks' offense requires great PG play to make it go (like Wittman's).

Edited by Destino
  • Like 1

Im not the biggest fan of advanced metrics unless they confirm what I am seeing, but yes he is. Right now Westbrook is having the best PER season of all time. He probably will not sustain it, but since he has come back OKC have lost just one game. If they play .700 ball from here on out and Russy can keep a pace that is very close to that level, he not only has a chance but he probably deserves to win.

edited my post.

He's been incredible. But it's really unlikely to get the award when people perceive you as the second best player on your team. Since they're about the same age, he'll be playing in Durant's shadow their entire time in OKC together. Also, OKC can play over .700 ball from here on out and still end up as a 5 or 6 seed in the West. The top of the conference is too strong for them to climb their way up to the top of the standings after basically spotting the West the month of November.

Now the question of whether he'll deserve the MVP or not is different. If he were to keep up this rate of production from these 11 games, then he probably would deserve it. Or deserve to at least finish high in the voting.

But he's also played less than half the minutes that Wall, Curry, and Paul have played this season. That matters. I think it's really unlikely he maintains this pace, or even close to it. Less than 400 minutes is a tiny sample size. I think he'll come back down to Earth pretty soon.

Side note, I also think it's unlikely John maintains his December pace too.

Westbrook is playing out of his mind but having Durant there hurts him. It's not fair but I think he's a long shot to win it. To be clear I'm not saying he is undeserving, only that I don't think he'll get enough votes.

Westbrook has always been under appreciated. On virtually any other team he's a superstar but because he has the NBAs best scorer with him people give him **** for taking shots. He, more than Durant, makes that offense go. Which makes sense being that he's a PG, Durant is not a point forward, and Scott Brooks' offense requires great PG play to make it go (like Wittman's).

I think he's been under-appreciated on the whole. That's the nature of being the second star. But I also think the flaws in his game that people criticize are real. It's not just that he shoots too much. It's the bad shot selection and bad decision making that he slips into way too frequently. Westbrook is simply not a high IQ player, and that's an issue for a PG. He makes a lot of positive plays and his relentlessness and effort are spectacular. He also makes a lot of plays that make you groan. And that stuff can become a problem taken cumulatively. And a lot of times, it's Durant digging that team out of a hole, especially in the postseason.

It really is so nice to have an MVP candidate playing basketball in D.C. I know watching Ovechkin compete with Malkin and Crosby circa 2005-2010 made watching the games so much more fun. And I want to see how Wall is comparing to guys like Russell and Curry. Adds to the fun of being 18-6.

Also, random, but...the Hornets.   :lol:

Edited by Sticksboi05

Excellent take from the comments section of a Sports Bog post on Wilbon complaining that DC is incapable of focusing on anything other than a terrible football team.

Of all the sports the one that features the following, is the one full of thugs?

- Can't bleed while on the court, at all. Game instantly stopped and players either get it quickly handled it you have to leave until to do.  Nothings says tough guy league like stopping the game over a small scratch.

- Double techs called if players walk over to eachother and stare to intensely.  Flagrants are not called for virtually every hard foul.  If the foul actually is considered malicious, instantly thrown out.  Again, not a tough guy rule book.   

- Players treat games as opportunities to strut in the latest ultra expensive fashions that most of the male fan base can't imagine wearing.

- The League employs a female assistant coach and she was hired not by some young new hip coach looking for positive press, but by an old timer that is one of the best ever. 

- They have three female refs that no one is talking about it, because no one cares anymore.  

- NBPA chose a woman as union chief.

- Female color analyst working NBA games, including playoff games. 

- Set out to, and succeeded in, developing basketball globally. This is demonstrated by the global diversity on the court and the basketball World Cup which can claim more member nations than FIFA.

So clearly, nothing says thug like the nba.... Honestly people that say that **** embarrass themselves. The nba isn't perfect but it's probably the most forward thinking major pro league in the US. Racists can't see that though, they just see big tatted up black dudes and get scared.

Edited by Destino
  • Like 1

- players treat games as opportunities to strut in the latest ultra expensive fashions that most of the male fan base can't imagine wearing.

#russy #thuglife

tumblr_mreirplMFD1rn5zlpo1_1280.png

But yeah, completely agree with you obviously. Whenever I hear someone trying tu push that BS, I ask them to name me an NFL player who's been arrested for a violent crime fairly recently. Then ask them to name an NBA player who has (I follow the NBA pretty closely and I can't think of one off the top of my head)

Excellent take from the comments section of a Sports Bog post on Wilbon complaining that DC is incapable of focusing on anything other than a terrible football team.

B5FOmyQIYAAlD7r.jpg

100% chance that guy is not from the DMV proper. (not saying all out of towners are racist, obviously not. But there is a certain type of fan of the football team that I cringe when I see and they usually are not actually from the area)

Spurs v Memphis game...wow. What a game. Best non-wizard game I have watched all year.

Memphis seems to play in extremely memorable 3OT games with regularity. Their one from last year in the Thunder series wasn't even the best 3OT they've played against OKC in the playoffs.

This one from 2011 is the game that rekindled my love of NBA basketball.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2011050929

Edited by EvilMonkeyBoy