Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Destino: "A little too late to tank, with just 26 games left."

If we make the playoffs, Grunfeld and Witt may get extensions. If we miss, no way does that happen. Obviously it's too late in all likelihood to get the #1 pick or anything, but we can still tank enough to miss the playoffs.

This conversation may be premature. Get well Nene.

• Like 1

The only kind of team Vesely could have possibly been successful on would be a vet laden team without a bunch of other major projects to work on. A playoff team like Dallas or San Antonio or even Miami. He never had a chace going in the lottery to a bad team. Had to be something like Brandan Wright or Tiago Splitter situation where the team could make the investment and not worry about seeing a return on it for years. And even still, he was just going to be a rotation player, probably never a starting caliber player. A defender and rebounder and interior/transition finisher.

Some team will kick the tires on him this summer because of his length and athleticism. If I were him, I'd sign in a place like Dallas. Or possibly even OKC, although they might already have enough projects on their hands right now.

I'm hoping that trading Vesely has an addition by subtraction benefit for developing Seraphin. There's really no one left to come in for Seraphin when he gets put in the doghouse. Might mean we actually have to put in the work to finish developing him now.

Which I think could be an excellent return if it works out. Seraphin has a big body and, when motivated, actually plays pretty hard. Natural scoring ability + strength & bulk + some vertical explosiveness are intriguing enough to make you want to keep going back to him.

He definitely was a project coming in. His instincts for the game are still pretty bad. And the motor runs hot and cold with him. Bigs like that take half their careers to truly develop. But we're four years in at this point. If he turns into a cheap quality bench big, that would solve a lot of problems for us moving forward.

Destino: "A little too late to tank, with just 26 games left."

If we make the playoffs, Grunfeld and Witt may get extensions. If we miss, no way does that happen. Obviously it's too late in all likelihood to get the #1 pick or anything, but we can still tank enough to miss the playoffs.

I argue that Ernie and Randy will get canned if this team doesn't show up in the playoffs. To me, "showing up" is 2 wins, meaning avoiding the 7th and 8th seeds completely. If we land the 4th, 5th or 6th seed, we need 2 wins against Chicago, Brooklyn and Toronto. No short order, especially with Nene's annual non contact injury

Michael Lee posted on his blog this morning, about an hour ago, that a person close to the situation said that the Nene's knee, quote, "doesn't look good."MRI scheduled for later today.

We're pretty ****ed if that's the case. Since we've gotten Nene, we've had 42 games where he's been out. Our record Inn those 42 games? 8-34. So yeah, say a prayer.

Edit: situation, situation, situation. Not even I has mastered driving and writing intelligently.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.