Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Under what circumstances, is it realistic?

1) It's always hard for teams to steal top stars, because they current teams can always offer more money and more years. So, you have to be in a Dwight Howard situation where leaving is worth losing money.

2) Most stars leave because they want to play with better players. OKC already has another superstar in Westbrook. It has another borderline all star in Orakpo. And it is has a front office that seems more than capable of getting decent talent in there.

3) He liked Seattle. He likes OKC. He doesn't seem to be the Carmelo type who needs to play in a certain kind of market to be happy.

Not really.

And here's the thing: All the NBA stars like each other. They all know each other. They all play together in the off-season. A ton of them played against and with each other in tournaments in high school. So, getting excited because Durant texts with John Wall is silly. I bet Durant's contact list looks the All-NBA teams.

I think we're basing our hopes off various statements from KD talking about how if we were to leave OKC it would be for the Wiz.

Also, his burgeoning friendship with John etc.

Heck, even some of the "experts" are starting to mention D.C. as a possible destination.

No matter how unlikely, the Wiz need to make sure they have cap flexibility....

Under what circumstances, is it realistic?

1) It's always hard for teams to steal top stars, because they current teams can always offer more money and more years. So, you have to be in a Dwight Howard situation where leaving is worth losing money.

2) Most stars leave because they want to play with better players. OKC already has another superstar in Westbrook. It has another borderline all star in Orakpo. And it is has a front office that seems more than capable of getting decent talent in there.

3) He liked Seattle. He likes OKC. He doesn't seem to be the Carmelo type who needs to play in a certain kind of market to be happy.

A lot can happen between then and now.  Westbrook might continue to get injured and suddenly OKC doesn't have that second star.  OKC may continue to spin it's wheels and be unable to claim a championship.  He could realize that Orakpo is an NFL linebacker and not an NBA player.   :)  Who knows?  Ibaka, who I realize you meant, has improved so that certainly makes this more difficult.  

It's a long shot but it's not a "we could get Lebron" long shot.  Durant has a connection to DC and he genuinely likes this area, he doesn't mention DC simply when asked where he's from like many athletes do.  He's seen at Redskin games, he's seen around town during the offseason, and if he's also friends with Wall that only helps. I think that if he decides to leave OKC, which as you've noted is a really big "if", the Wizards would likely have a good shot at him.  

All of this assume the Wizards don't completely fall apart.  If they do, no star is coming here no matter how much he likes Wall or the city.  

Edited by Destino

Lol at the Orakpo comment. We definitely do need another star, kevin durant would be amazing obviously, but i dont see him leaving, even with all the connections to DC. 

We need soemone like a paul george lol i dont know where we could get one, but its fun to think about

Oh God... :gag: You know I actually like Danny Rouhier. I just don't like him living out his childhood fantasies at my expense. JFK has him in the booth tonight with Dave Johnson and Glen Consor. And not like for a few minutes as a guest, He's actually calling the game. And the way they're pushing it--reading tweets asking for him to be permanent--sounds like they're setting us up for a permanent stay. Ugh.

Hey CK, ever heard "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? You already oversaw the decline and ultimate destruction of what once was DC's greatest radio station. Glad to see you haven't got "****ing **** up" out of your system yet. And Danny, I see Chad Flukes has taught you well. Just remember Golden Rule #1: Always swallow when CK tells you too

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Waited too long to get Vesely out. He can't body up Aldridge so he's playing off him to force him to face up but Aldridge can make those shots. Aldridge is probably a better mid range shooter than low post scorer.

Portland's commentary is crew terrible, they are constantly confusing members of their own team.

Yeah I didn't stick with their feed for long. Wasn't impressed.

Edited by stevemcqueen1