Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Yeah Wall ended up being the best player on the court tonight. He drew three charges too.

But KD made a big impact in the other aspects aside from scoring too, and still managed to drop 26 points. Those pick and pops are deadly because you have to double him. It's pretty crazy how KD can get hounded by one of the best perimeter defenders (and defenses) in the league and still do some of the things he did. He's a pleasure to watch.

BTW, after watching our perimeter D the past several games, I think with a more consistent effort and better interior defense, this group could be suffocating. Our perimeter D can be spectacular some nights. Gortat has been hit or miss defensively and Booker and Seraphin have generally been weak. If we had a high quality defensive big coming off the bench like Taj Gibson, we could do something.

It sounds like Durant would love to play here. Imagine a corps of Wall, Beal, and Durant. With Lebron hitting 30 soon and the Heat beginning to fade, we could run the East for the next decade. If Ernie were smart he'd try to set our cap up so that we can make a legit push for him. Make sure we don't have any big money that year.

It sounds like Durant would love to play here. Imagine a corps of Wall, Beal, and Durant. With Lebron hitting 30 soon and the Heat beginning to fade, we could run the East for the next decade. If Ernie were smart he'd try to set our cap up so that we can make a legit push for him. Make sure we don't have any big money that year.

We are all set up for the Summer of 2016.

Great win tonight. Man, Im really dreading losing Ariza at the end of the season. Hes such a huge part of what we do. His basketball IQ on the court will be irreplaceable. I wish we wouldve drafted Noel. I know its waaay too early form a conclusion on Otto. But man, hypothetical, if a team offered a strong deal, I'd be open to moving him if it meant being able to keep Ariza. I say F it, and extend Ariza.

Edited by LetMeSeeYourWarFace21
  • Like 1

Dave Johnson and Glen Consor are really great on the radio, as well.

Absolutely. It hasn't been a choice normally but I actually like that most games I'm usually in the car so I catch the game live on the radio and then later watch a recording of the TV broadcast (like I'm doing right now). I really think both broadcasts offer things the other doesn't/can't. Example, I love Consor's pre and post-game interviews with multiple players. Really learn a lot hearing from the players direct. They're normally pretty straight forward about ish.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

I never thought I'd say this about a team with Alex Ovechkin but the Wiz are the best team playing at Verizon.

Yup, that's embarrassing though I'm, happy for the Wiz.  I just expect more out of the Capitals.  This is a mess.  Oates now has Fehr at center and MoJo at wing.

What a mess.

This kind of thinking is dangerous. 

There is no reason this team should be .500 in a very weak Eastern Conference. With a better coach, we would be well over .500 with a lock on the 3 seed in this Eastern Conference.

I don't disagree with anything you said....but as I've said in other threads, the only thing holding OKC back is Brooks. 

• Like 1

Fehr's playing center now?

Ugh....

It is what it is.

I hope the Wiz get the fourth seed and make it to the second round.  No reason they can't.  I wish all of D.C.'s teams would be elite.  Too much to ask for though.

Durant in D.C. would pretty much make me cry almost.

I don't disagree with anything you said....but as I've said in other threads, the only thing holding OKC back is Brooks. 

If you replace Brooks with Rivers or Popovich in 2012, does OKC win that NBA Finals series?

It is what it is.

I hope the Wiz get the fourth seed and make it to the second round.  No reason they can't.  I wish all of D.C.'s teams would be elite.  Too much to ask for though.

Durant in D.C. would pretty much make me cry almost.

If you replace Brooks with Rivers or Popovich in 2012, does OKC win that NBA Finals series?

I think so...he's got the benefit of having a two top-10 players in the league on his roster, and one happens to be transcendent.  I'd have to think that anything short of winning an NBA title for the Thunder will result in Brooks getting canned.  With the leap KD has made in his development, there are no excuses this year. 

*If it were to happen, Durant coming to play for the Wizards would be the best thing (sporting wise) to happen to this city since the Skins last SB win.  He'd be king of this town. 

Edited by RonArtest15

Absolutely. It hasn't been a choice normally but I actually like that most games I'm usually in the car so I catch the game live on the radio and then later watch a recording of the TV broadcast (like I'm doing right now). I really think both broadcasts offer things the other doesn't/can't. Example, I love Consor's pre and post-game interviews with multiple players. Really learn a lot hearing from the players direct. They're normally pretty straight forward about ish.

I have a hard time making it through games I already know the outcome for. Most of the time I end up turning it off or fast forwarding to the end. I need that tension of not knowing what's going to happen next. It's one of my favorite things about sports. When I watch regular TV or movies, I almost always identify the story arc and sense what is going to happen. It's like I can see the bones of the production, understand what the writers are trying to accomplish, and never completely suspend my disbelief. Pro sports are never very predictable from moment to moment.

I've never actually listened to a radio broadcast. But I love Phil and Buck. I think they are two of the best broadcasters in the business. I like that they aren't hype men like some broadcasters are. Buck is fantastic and needs to be here forever, and Phil's analysis is still very sharp. But if I have one complaint, it's that they are completely deadpan sometimes when Wall does something incredible. I've seen a writer at Grantland mention it too. They're inadvertently underselling Wall's accomplishments from time to time. I have a theory that it's one of the reasons sooo many of our fans don't seem to notice how special Wall really is. I'm looking at you RealGM.

The past two seasons, our of curiosity, I've started finding streams online to listen to the other teams' broadcast. I find it helps me learn the other teams better too.

I haven't heard every one, but I can say that so far, the only ones I thought were as good as Phil and Buck were the Clippers and Raptors broadcasters. Random right? Their color guys are amazing. LA's color guy was the most well prepared I've ever heard. And he was sportsmanlike and respectful with just the right amount of homerism. Their play by play guy was a hundred years old and has been there since the early 80's I think, sounded a little sloshed, and didn't seem super in tune with the game TBH. So that was a little bit of a damper. I don't like anyone for play by play as much as Buck.

On the flip side, two of the worst I heard were Utah's and OKC's. Those guys were amateur. Watching them on top of watching a bad team would be intolerable.

• Like 1

Great win tonight. Man, Im really dreading losing Ariza at the end of the season. Hes such a huge part of what we do. His basketball IQ on the court will be irreplaceable. I wish we wouldve drafted Noel. I know its waaay too early form a conclusion on Otto. But man, hypothetical, if a team offered a strong deal, I'd be open to moving him if it meant being able to keep Ariza. I say F it, and extend Ariza.

I'm for extending Ariza this summer and I'm an Otto Porter fan. We can't afford to let a player as good as Ariza (and as good a fit with Wall) walk for nothing. We have Porter under contract for three years after this one, we don't have to trade him any time soon. And we can always trade Ariza down the line if something good comes up.

I'm for extending Ariza this summer and I'm an Otto Porter fan. We can't afford to let a player as good as Ariza (and as good a fit with Wall) walk for nothing. We have Porter under contract for three years after this one, we don't have to trade him any time soon. And we can always trade Ariza down the line if something good comes up.

In complete agreement about extending Ariza.

And the great thing is though he's been in the league forever, he's just now entering his prime.

Same goes for Martell.

I've read reports of Ariza wanting to go back to California.  One thing I don't want this team to do is overpay.  If they can re-sign him for a reasonable amount (3 year deal), keep him here.  However, I think he'll get an absurd amount of money from someone due to how good he's been in the 3 & D role this year.  He's no question a top 10 SF in the league. 

At some point, we have to take the training wheels off of Otto and see what he can do.  No point in keeping a logjam at SF.  One of the 3 (Webster, Porter, Ariza) needs to be elsewhere next year. 

I've read reports of Ariza wanting to go back to California.  One thing I don't want this team to do is overpay.  If they can re-sign him for a reasonable amount (3 year deal), keep him here.  However, I think he'll get an absurd amount of money from someone due to how good he's been in the 3 & D role this year.  He's no question a top 10 SF in the league. 

At some point, we have to take the training wheels off of Otto and see what he can do.  No point in keeping a logjam at SF.  One of the 3 (Webster, Porter, Ariza) needs to be elsewhere next year.

You've got to get something for Ariza though. It depends on what he costs this summer, but I don't think he'll be getting a huge payday. If he does then, yeah, you have to let him walk unfortunately. But if his pay is reasonable, then extending him buys us time to search for favorable deals.

Right now Otto can't replace what Ariza gives us, and right now we need Ariza to compete for a decent seed. Idon't think Otto has an NBA three ball yet, which right off the bat takes a way a huge job of the SF in our offense. And we also know that he's got to add strength to defend his position and it's going to take time for the game to slow down for him. The logjam has been sort of nice because we've weathered injuries to Ariza, Webster, and Porter each without issue and we've been able to bring Otto along slowly.

I'd be hesitant to resign Ariza. First off there's the whole contract year thing. Secondly we drafted Otto Porter who SHOULD be at least as good if not better than Ariza at a fraction of the cost. Lastly, and most importantly, I want to consume as little salary as possible so that we can make a legit push for Durant when he hits FA. Give me Wall/Beal/Porter/Durant in 2015 and I'll take my chances against anyone.

Great win, but lets chill on extending Ariza or GOrtat. Thats how we get back on the treadmill.

Exactly. A smart team trades him at the deadline. The goal is to accumalate any kind of asset that you can trade down the line for a superstar. That could be a future first round pick or Otto Porter getting more minutes and showing a lot of potential.

• Like 2