Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I just hope this lights more fire under Wall's behind.  .

exactly

and Beal made the cut because America hasnt produced an elite 2 guard prospect in ages. That includes Harden.

Not enough talent there. Just like Javale making tryouts back in 2012.

Edited by JoeWolf990

Are there politics and personal relationships involved with the Olympic selection? It makes no sense to me that Wall be left off, but if he didn't get along with some coaches that would explain it. His lack of shooting is nothing compared to Kyrie's lack of defense. The Olympics (and soon more importantly the WC) is not an allstar game where defense is ignored while guys go for flashy dunks or unnecessary killer crossovers.  

As for Gortat I think he's the one you keep and Nene is the one the team needs to get rid of. Gortat is a good, not great, on offense and defense and he's likely cheaper than Nene. He can also handle big time minutes and run the pick n roll with Wall. Nene has never really clicked with Wall on the PnR and his health is a problem.

Otto Porter should be developed like OKC did Lamb. Let him learn from the bench this year.  His biggest problem right now is that he's to thin and weak and he doesn't have the athleticism to make up for it. One year with NBA trainers can make a real difference we've seen a lot of thing college players bulk up. Next year hell get more minutes and in year three we'll see what the team has in him.  

Edited by Destino
  • Like 1

Why would they want to? 

You are talking about a massive commitment of funds in order to do what? Find the next Greg Stiesma?

MLB's farm system mostly exists in its current form because the infrastructure was put in place 100 years ago and is, to a certain extent, self-supporting. If MLB had to create that system out of thin air today, it wouldn't.

That's a good point.  I have a question (that I don't know enough to even begin to answer) about Hockey's minor league system.  It's used a lot like MLB's.  Farm system, rehab, stash talented prospects for a little while.  Call them up for solid minutes sporadically throughout the season.'

How old is it?

The AHL dates to the 30s.

The way minor league hockey and minor league baseball work is that - in most cases - the teams do not own the clubs. They sign agreements with the teams that allows them to be affiliates. The major league team pays player salaries, coach salaries and equipment. The minor league team pays for everything else.

But minor league baseball can be profitable even for unaffilated teams. Sugarland, Texas has had an unaffilated team for a few years now. That team can never be affiliated because MLB teams do not allow affiliated teams in MLB markets. 

I saw an unaffiliated team play in Bridgeport, CT a few years ago.

Baseball and hockey seem to need this system because a) colleges don't seem to develop talent the way the professional leagues want them to and B) they need a lot more manpower than the NBA. There also seems to be a demand for low level professional hockey and baseball. The only low-level pro basketball league that ever had any success is the CBA. If you want to watch basketball that is not the NBA, there is probably a D-1 team within a 30 minute drive from your front door.

I mean, would anyone in Pittsburgh go watch Minor League basketball? Pitt is right there with a top of the line arena. Duquesne is D-1 and has a really nice arena too. So is Robert Morris is D-1 if you are a suburbanite. Would anyone in Cincinatti go to a minor league game? Cincinatti and Xavier are right there. If you want to see professionals, UK is less than a 90 minute drive. 

The idea of a 30-team NBA minor league is insane by the way. At its height, the CBA stayed between 13 and 15 teams. At most, you would need 10 teams with each team providing 3 players to a team.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

Are there politics and personal relationships involved with the Olympic selection? It makes no sense to me that Wall be left off but if he didn't get along with some coaches that would explain it. His lack of shooting is nothing compared to Kyrie's lack of defense. The Olympics (and soon more importantly the WC) is not an allstar game with no defense.

As for Gortat I think he's the one you keep and Nene is the one the team needs to get rid of. Gortat is a good not great on offense and defense and he's likely cheaper than Nene. He can also handle big time minutes and run the pick n roll with Wall. Nene has never really clicked with Wall on the PnR and his health is a problem.

Otto Porter should be developed like OKC did Lamb. Let him learn from the bench in year one because his main issue is that he's to thin and weak and he doesn't have the athleticism to make up for it. One year with NBA trainers can make a real difference. Next year hell get more minutes and in year three we'll see what the team has in him.

I agree with everything here.

My guess for the Olympics thing is that it's a numbers game at PG. The team has a history with CP3, DWill in 2008 and 2012, and Westbrook and Rose from back to the 2010 during that WC. So they all got in automatically off that even though Westbrook and Rose are seriously injured and Deron Williams doesn't deserve to be on the team any more. Then Curry was an easily justifiable choice. And Kyrie got in for the same reason he got voted the AS starter over Wall. Lillard? I don't know, maybe because he's a more recent ROTY winner. Wall is better than him though.

The only SG on the roster that would deserve consideration over Wall is Harden, but they're clearly considering Wall, Irving, Curry, Westbrook, and Lillard all pure PGs. So that's why you've got Kyle Korver, Beal, Klay Thompson, and Gordon Hayward all making the team over him despite the fact none of them are even remotely as good as Wall right now.

On Gortat, I agree. Moving Nene is an obstacle though. And right now, there isn't a need to unless we're serious about going after Greg Monroe.

On Porter, again I agree. He's being brought along very slowly, and this might actually be the best way to handle him because of the strength issue, the conditioning issues, the lack of 3 point range, and the injury which caused him to miss so much time.

With Ariza and Webster already on the team, we had the luxury to bring him along slowly. But also there wasn't really any other way to do it, because the minutes simply aren't there for Porter right now. Porter was a long term pick though. He's supposed to be our front court player to pair with Beal and Wall long term, after we move into the second half of that era and Nene and company are gone.

I want to see Porter gain a ton of weight, especially in his lower body. He's really tall and I think he becomes much more valuable if he gains enough weight to become a combo forward.

Aldridge should definitely stay over both Love and Griffen

Kobe shouldn't even be on the team Wade shouldn't be starting I think Drozen should start over him and Wall should be in over Irving

I would love to see Aldridge in a wizards uniform but we all know that ain't happening

And the fact that we chose Jan Vesley over Kenneth Faried makes me sick

Kenneth Faried?! No. Jan was drafted ahead of Klay Thompson and Kawhi Leonard. Those two guys are really something. Kenneth Farried is awesome... Until the game slows down in the post season and he becomes a tiny PF (6'7 in shoes) that can't guard his position, shoot, or hit free throws. He'd be good as a high energy guy off the bench on a good team. I'm not nearly as high on him as other people are.

He's better than Jan but he's not better than those other two I mentioned that we could have had instead of Jan. Had they drafted Thompson this team could be Wall Thompson and Drummond. Imagine that. Hindsight is 20/20 though and you can play this game with most any draft.

They should have taken Faried over Singleton though. Still amazing how bad the wizards did with two picks in that draft. Not even one rotation guy to show for it. lol

Edited by Destino
  • Like 2

Seraphin makes one mistake and he's pulled. We won't see him again the rest of the night. Randy....

Secondly, porter needs more playing time to get his confidence. He's passing up shots that are available to him.

Seraphin made more than one mistake. Those were awful minutes. First he slacks off on all his picks, then he gets beat down the floor and has to foul to prevent the easy transition bucket. Then he carried the ball and turned it over. And then next possession he committed an offensive foul and turned it over again.

Sometimes I think he sets **** picks just so his guards won't get open and they have to pass the ball to him.

Beal got fouled on that fadeaway jumper that went in.

Porter looks like he's starting to get into the flow of the game. Scraping some of that rust off.

Seems like Otto struggles when he's got time to think about the shot. But when he gets it and rhythm and with a little more urgency, hes more effective.

I think he just doesn't have the NBA three yet. He's a mid range jump shooter that only just got a college 3 ball last year. He drained that 20 footer fine but has been strong on both his attempts from three. I think it's going to take time for him to extend his range.

Otto putting in some good work in Webster's absence.

I think he just doesn't have the NBA three yet. He's a mid range jump shooter that only just got a college 3 ball last year. He drained that 20 footer fine but has been strong on both his attempts from three. I think it's going to take time for him to extend his range.

I guess the 0-9 from behind the arc for Otto this year proves you're right.

Ok yea, I was wrong about seraphin. I thought those screens were booker. Otto looks like a natural mid range shooter at the moment. It's pretty smooth. It will take an offseason for him to get that 3 improved. I liked his scrapping effort though. He really played well on d. What happened to Webster? Did he get injured for porter to play this much?

Ok yea, I was wrong about seraphin. I thought those screens were booker. Otto looks like a natural mid range shooter at the moment. It's pretty smooth. It will take an offseason for him to get that 3 improved. I liked his scrapping effort though. He really played well on d. What happened to Webster? Did he get injured for porter to play this much?

Sick.

Musta caught what Ariza had.

Why is it that our transition D is always worse than the other team's? For that matter, why is it that other teams seem to get to the rim constantly while Wall has to do something absolutely incredible or Nene has to bully someone for us to get to the rim?

He's out sick. Porter is getting his minutes tonight. I liked what Porter did too. He has a real nose for the ball. Made an impact on the boards. He might lead our team in rebounding one day. And he reminds me of Ariza in his ability to lay off his man but use his length to recover and get into the passing lane or bother the shot.

Why is it that our transition D is always worse than the other team's? For that matter, why is it that other teams seem to get to the rim constantly while Wall has to do something absolutely incredible or Nene has to bully someone for us to get to the rim?

Because the refs hate us?

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH