Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

If he had any intentions to do that he would have done it before he let him make the moves. Ernie is gonna be with the Wiz longer than you are. Accept that and it wont hurt as much. 

Absolutely.  The implication of all of these moves is that Ernie is staying.

Eh, I'm done.  This franchise is so third rate.  I suspected they couldn't sustain their spending because there is no way the revenues were high enough given how little fan support the team receives.  This disastrous season is the proof that this is true.  I'm tired of the merry-go-round where poorly conducted, abortive rebuilds yield a couple of hopeful pieces and then abruptly collapse in a heap of dysfunction and drama.  I'm tired of following a farm team for the league's good franchises and watching their home away from home.

I'm going to go watch the Mavs ten or fifteen times a year and hope Beal and Wall find their way onto better organizations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

The Otto trade only makes sense if Beal is either shut down or traded. We have two seasons to tank and possibly get foundational pieces to start rebuilding again. In the small 5% chance that Wall comes back and is still a decent player, we could have a new big 3, with lots of cap room in two years.

This somewhat excites me and then I remember than Ernie gets to do another rebuild and he’s failed 2/2 already. Sooooo another decade ahead of bad basketball?

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

The Otto trade only makes sense if Beal is either shut down or traded. We have two seasons to tank and possibly get foundational pieces to start rebuilding again. In the small 5% chance that Wall comes back and is still a decent player, we could have a new big 3, with lots of cap room in two years.

This somewhat excites me and then I remember than Ernie gets to do another rebuild and he’s failed 2/2 already. Sooooo another decade ahead of bad basketball?

This seems logical, but there's not a chance that they could pull off a Beal trade today by 3pm right?

From what I can see the Wiz only have a chance if they Forrest Gump their way into a generational talent like the Bucks did with Giannis.  

The beginning of a rebuild should be easy for any competent GM, especially with the Parker contract now.

Ariza and Green could return 2nd round picks. If a team is desperate to clear cap space now or at the beginning of the off-season, that Parker contract with a $20 million team option could net a nice asset or two.

Wiz really do have the worst GM in all of sports.

I suppose there's some hope if you trade Beal for a mix of picks/players that approaches fair value, tank, luck into Zion Williamson, and then luck into whoever the next person is.  A Wizards drafting version of Stras/Rendon/Harper back to back to back.

Of course, that would require a lot of luck, and probably someone else in charge of it, so nevermind.

40 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

Just a brutal line: 

To absolutely no one’s great surprise, an organization that doled out a combined $106 million worth of guaranteed money to Ian Mahinmi, Andrew Nicholson, and Jason Smith, in one summer, is now having trouble reconciling its budget and expectations, to such a degree that it now prefers having cheap and expendable bad players instead of expensive good ones.

We went from KD2DC to the off-season that forced this team into a complete rebuild, despite having a young core. 

Trading one of the extremely rare good picks by Ernie, I mean Beal, for draft picks is more than likely a downgrade.  Ernie has gotten next to nothing out of the draft since he’s been with the Wizards.  We could end up trading Beal for the next Oubre, Singleton, or Vesely... or worse he’ll trade the pick for another over the hill veteran + a salary dump.  

Ernie has to go before he has a chance to dig a deeper hole.

• Like 3

I think Ted let his patience finally paying off with the Caps affect his judgement. The problem is the Wizards don't have anyone in the same stratosphere as Ovie and the NBA is vastly different than the NHL when it comes to team building. Even then, he still fired GMGM. The fact that Ernie is still around completely defies logic.

On a positive note, as a Porter detractor I'm quite happy we unloaded him and I'm actually excited to see what Portis can do in a Wizards jersey, even if it is just for a short time. I have tuned in to only a handful of minutes this season, but will probably watch a few games to see how he plays. I think he's actually a pretty ideal big man for the team, and think a front court of him and Bryant could be pretty respectable. 

7 minutes ago, MonkFan8 said:

I think he's actually a pretty ideal big man for the team, and think a front court of him and Bryant could be pretty respectable. 

Until they have to play defense 

35 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

When are people gonna accept that Leonsis is a bad owner?

Worst thing for the wizards was the caps winning it all. Leonsis thought he was smarter than the room before they won. Good luck convincing him his ****, which in this case is grunfeld, doesnt stink

Edited by StillUnknown

I don't think Portis is all that bad....i just know it'll blow up in our face because Ernie is the one behind the trade. I'm happy to be rid of Porter - I was all for resigning Ariza back in the day and using the draft pick on a big man like Len or Noel.

My hope is that idiot Ted lets EG go this offseason, but apparently EG has some naked pics of Ted and is using them as blackmail.

3 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

I don't think Portis is all that bad....i just know it'll blow up in our face because Ernie is the one behind the trade. I'm happy to be rid of Porter - I was all for resigning Ariza back in the day and using the draft pick on a big man like Len or Noel.

My hope is that idiot Ted lets EG go this offseason, but apparently EG has some naked pics of Ted and is using them as blackmail.

Portis is good on offense, hits 3's at a respectable clip, doesnt take many mid range jumpers. He instantly becomes the best rebounder on the team, and has some nasty to his game.

Problem is the defense. Whether guarding 1 on 1, team defense, or rim protection, that aint him. Playing him next to Bryant on defense might cause Brooks to just walk off the job, which might be Ted's ultimate goal to reduce salary

2 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Portis is good on offense, hits 3's at a respectable clip, doesnt take many mid range jumpers. He instantly becomes the best rebounder on the team, and has some nasty to his game.

Problem is the defense. Whether guarding 1 on 1, team defense, or rim protection, that aint him. Playing him next to Bryant on defense might cause Brooks to just walk off the job, which might be Ted's ultimate goal to reduce salary

So basically he's a better version of Morris? 😜

I was looking at the roster....we essentially have a **** ton of tweeners now looking for playing time. Nice job, EG!