Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Could they trade what's needed for cousins and sign KD? Does the math work?

If you trade Beal and Gortat, yeah.

That's a recipe for getting blowed up though. What happens when you trade Beal and Gortat for Cousins and then Durant stays in OKC and Wall/Cousins is what you're stuck with for good? Locker room is already on the verge of revolt too. The goal has to be to make a three star construction of Wall + Beal + X. Wall + X isn't going to get it done. And Wall/Cousins in particular would have shooting/spacing issues.

Nobody knows what's going on with Wall. Maybe something in his personal life. He's always been a streaky player but this has been his worst slump since his second season.

I'm pretty confident he'll get right eventually, but the team is going to lose just about every game until he does. We're digging a huge hole. We can probably kiss a top six seed goodbye and we're going to have to scrap for a final spot.

The one thing that really worries me is that there is something going on in the locker room that's causing Wall to go into a shell, like he sees everyone tuning Randy out and he knows Randy is going to get fired. If that happens, then the team is probably going to get broken up in the summer. Wall has typically been Randy's biggest supporter and he's always naturally assumed leadership of the team. Now he's deferring to Garrett Temple and Ramon Sessions on the court... And it's weird, but Beal is taking over the leadership of the team. Wall has been withdrawn.

• Like 1

On a positive note, Beal and Gortat played well last night. That awful Boston performance stands out, but March's last five games have been solid. He's averaging 12 and 10 on 51% shooting and his rim protection has been good. Hopefully he's joined us for the season.

And hopefully Beal's arm is finally good and he's found his stroke again. Last night was the first time he reached the level he played at before the injury. He was averaging 25 PPG shooting .490 from the floor. Last night he scored 20 on 9 shots, shooting 55%. If he gets back to where he was from here on out, he's going to be the one who makes the AS game from our team, not Wall.

It's amazing how quickly this got depressing. It's not even DECEMBER and I am already sad. Not even looking forward to the Cleveland game. At all.

I went from thinking we would finally compete for a top 3 seed and have a REAL shot at KD with an ECF appearance to now, a few weeks in, praying we make it at all and realizing we have no shot at KD with our **** show team.

KD is not leaving to come here. Ever.

Edited by Duckus

DC it's been real. I just want to say thank you to @TedLeonsis for giving me another chance in this league.To you fans I love you #wiznation

I liked him but he just couldn't stay healthy.  Tough break.  We'll always have his "Unveiling the Wizard."

ibudxocspp5h10.0.gif

don't blame me for the gif quality. 

• Like 2

Let's hope this team and primarily John Wall, can put this dreaded month of November behind them.  John should consider himself lucky to be in a town like DC where you can get away with such a poor month relatively unscathed by the media.  Perhaps if our local media was a bit more interested, we'd have some semblance of an idea what exactly is going behind the scenes.  There's no juicy rumors or any real speculation as to what exactly is going on in that locker room.  Have they tuned out Randy or are we really just this bad?

KD is not leaving to come here. Ever.

I made my peace with this over the summer. And that was when I thought the Wizards were going to win 54 games and get the two or three seed.

We probably have never really had more than a 10-20 % chance got getting KD at any point. He'll go through the process of free agency and listen to our pitch in good faith. But I think he was always going to stay in OKC. It makes the most sense for him from both a money and basketball perspective.

We need KD to compete for a championship in the short term. But we don't need KD to at least compete in the East over the long term. Easy to forget how young a core Wall/Beal/Porter is because they each came into the league at about 19. But this is a group who we shouldn't realistically expect to enter their prime for another three years or so. With no KD, all we can realistically expect is to incrementally improve until their window opens. Improve regular season win totals and win early round playoff series, etc. If we take a step back in a season before then, that's a shame, but not reason to give up. It happens. It happened to Cleveland with LeBron, where they dipped down to the 45 win mark here and there after they'd already reached a 50+ win pinnacle.

In the short term, I still think this team can become a 50+ win group by getting a PF of true quality. A Paul Millsap caliber starter would be such a huge get. We wouldn't have any superstars, but a strong top to bottom starting five can carry you far in the East. Atlanta demonstrated that last season.

Let's hope this team and primarily John Wall, can put this dreaded month of November behind them.  John should consider himself lucky to be in a town like DC where you can get away with such a poor month relatively unscathed by the media.  Perhaps if our local media was a bit more interested, we'd have some semblance of an idea what exactly is going behind the scenes.  There's no juicy rumors or any real speculation as to what exactly is going on in that locker room.  Have they tuned out Randy or are we really just this bad?

Wall's proven himself. That's why the media isn't hitting the panic button and raking him over the coals for a bad month. It wasn't like this before he made the AS game and took us to the playoffs and won a series. Then, any bad stretch from him meant widespread panic and scrutiny and calls to blow everything up and trade him for Kyle Lowry.

I liked him but he just couldn't stay healthy.  Tough break.  We'll always have his "Unveiling the Wizard."

I like him too. He is one of the smartest, best spoken, and most likable players in the NBA. I liked his positive and easy-going attitude and he struck me as the type of low maintenance player who was easy to coach. Someone who "got it." He had a high maintenance body though, and his contract extension burned us. Sucks, because I really wanted him to work out here and finish his career as a core Wizards player.

I could see him having a future working for a front office somewhere.

In hindsight, seeing Ariza turn us down to play for Houston for less money, seeing Pierce turn us down to take less money to play for LA, and seeing Webster's body break down on him, good thing we picked Porter.

I'm fine with KD not coming here, but I have no idea why so many dominate players in the West don't come to the East. Maybe coming here isn't what he wants, but going to another East team with some good pieces is an easier route to the finals than sticking it out in OKC trying to fight through Golden State and San Antonio.

Bottom line is that every championship team has that one superstar/dominant player and complementary guys around him.  We don't have that.  Wall is a great player but inconsistent.  Beal is getting there.  The rest is sort of a mish mash of random players, I don't feel that guys know their role.  Would love for Porter Jr. to take the next step, and pray that Oubre can develop into a star.  Gortat and Nene are hit or miss on any given night.

Granted this is all coming from a guy who lives in California and only gets to see several regular season games a year.  I'm just going off what I've seen in the past.  I miss watching the Wizards every night. 

KD will only leave OKC to come home to DC IMO, and it wouldn't be for basketball reasons if he did it. It'd be to play in DC. Otherwise OKC is his best situation. He's playing with another MVP caliber player plus a really good PF and a young, deep group of big men. He's got a new coach. And he's been very successful in the situation.

Also they can offer him more money than anyone else.

As far as other star players in the West, most of them are already in good situations. The only ones who stand out to me as being stuck are Cousins, Lillard, and Davis. Maybe Harden, but I'm not ready to say Houston is falling apart yet. I could see them getting it together and ripping off a big winning streak.

Portland is a good franchise, and I think they'll be able to rebuild around Lillard.

Davis is signed to New Orleans long enough for them to have a real chance to build a winner around him.

Cousins I could definitely see coming East though. I bet he would sign with us tomorrow if he could.

If I had NBA2K powers granting me the ability to force teams to accept trades, I would trade Anthony Davis to Portland, James Harden to Detroit, and DeMarcus Cousins to Washington. Sure it would crater their original teams, but it would consolidate the league's talent to create three new contenders and see that the careers of some of the league's brightest stars don't get spent on mediocre teams.

I just turned on the Wizards/Cavs game, which is on the NBA TV channel.......who in the hell are the commentators, ****ing horrible.  It's almost like they want people to not watch a game on that channel.  I'd rather to listen to Michael Irvin for 3 hours instead of these clowns.

Pretty sure it's the Cleveland homers.. They'll be on Lebron's knob all night, even if he's not in the game.