Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

10 hours ago, Destino said:

start Kuzma at the three and try to raise his value while you figure out what to do going forward.  I’d use him at PF too in spots.  His value is obviously low right now.  He’d get big minutes.  I’d play Deni with the bench because he needs to develop and he’s not going to be dribbling the ball much with our starting guards.

I don’t even see Kispert yet because college sharp shooters crash and burn often in the nba.  He’s got to show that he can do it at this level before he becomes a rotation player.  

I’d start Gafford.  If he crashes and burns then at least you know that while his contract is cheap. 

I don’t know where Harrell fits once Bryant is healthy.  I don’t know where Bertans fits, especially if Kispert really can shoot it.  That said I haven’t seen the offense the new coach wants to run or how serious he is about defense.  Just got to wait and see.

If you can build a trade for someone like Myles Turner in part on Kuzma, to me that feels like selling high.  For us anyway.  I can't see us being able to build his value higher than that given that Rui and Bertans and possibly even Harrell should be getting almost all of the minutes at one forward spot and KCP, Kispert, and Avdija will get them at the other one.  We need to play Deni in order to develop him, and one big reason we drafted Kispert over higher upside developmental options was because he could play as a rookie.  You could be right that he'll flop as a shooter at this level, but our plan is to play him at SF this season rather than stow him on the bench.  Thus I don't see Kuzma starting at SF as a viable plan for us.

Or put it this way: I don't see playing Kuzma and the effort to develop Kispert, Hachimura, and Avdija being compatible.  Granted, neither is trading Deni to Indy for Myles Turner, nor is it compatible with finding out what we have in Gafford.

I also think Beal and Dinwiddie soak up too many minutes in the backcourt for KCP to get all of his run as the third guard.  Especially since KCP is the kind of 3 and D wing you specifically want to play beside a guard like Beal.  I'm expecting him to start at the three for us, or at least be in our closing line ups at that spot.

I don't know where Bertans or Bryant fit either.  Bryant is a sunk cost in a walk year that we're not going to be able to trade because of his injury.  I think Gafford and Harrell supplant him and he leaves in free agency.  But I think we're headed for trouble with Bertans.  Especially if he falls out of the rotation due to Kuzma being better than him.  To me, Bertans is teetering of the edge of negative trade value because of his contract size and length and the severe limitations in his defense.  He can be a key rotation player for a contender but his fit is finicky.  And the kind of teams where he'd be good probably don't have money.  I think we need to deal him ASAP or we could be looking at an immovable Mahinmi-like anchor.

It's strange to me how much Advija is valued versus Kuzma.

Kuzma has shown the ability to hit the three and slash to the basketball.

Advija at his best (imo) might be decent scorer/playmaker but I think the lack of top end athleticism will hold him back.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

It's strange to me how much Advija is valued versus Kuzma.

Deni's still only 20. 

17 hours ago, Destino said:

Internet has Gafford listed at 6’10 and Turner at 6’11.  Not sure that means anything though because nba heights are all off.  

Gafford is super lanky with a thin frame. Turner has 15-20 lbs on him easy. 

• Like 1

I don't get why people don't want Gafford as the starting C for the Wiz or why the Wiz would consider trading for different C that is making $20 mill. Unless you are contending and going all in, you have to have young, inexpensive contributors. 

If the Wiz are gonna go this dumbass route of trying to keep Beal, they should be looking for a SG to come off the bench that can get buckets. 

You do not want KP. After years of watching the NBA, I've come to conclude that it is tough to win with centers that don't play good defense, no matter how good their offense is.

The target needs to be a PF. If not Siakam, Christian Wood is interesting

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Also, what if Gafford isn't for real?  If he is, then I agree that trading for someone like Myles Turner would be a costly redundancy.  But if Gafford was just a flash in the pan, then there is no chance we make it past a team like Milwaukee or Philly.

Gafford passes the eye test.  The defense improved SIGNIFICANTLY when he played (frankly when Len, Lopez, or Gafford were out there).  Bryant is a super negative on defense.  Gafford can rim protect and guard lateral.  He's also got good form on his jump shot not a bad FT shooter).  

I wouldn't trade for Turner unless we were trading our crap for him.  You shouldn't make the mistake of overpaying (via picks and/or cap space) centers.  Sure, pay the Embiid's, Jokic's, Ayton's, etc., but not the middle tier.  Better to get cheap rim runners.  Indy has been trying to trade Myles Turner for over two years and can't get anyone to bite.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Gafford passes the eye test.  The defense improved SIGNIFICANTLY when he played (frankly when Len, Lopez, or Gafford were out there).  Bryant is a super negative on defense.  Gafford can rim protect and guard lateral.  He's also got good form on his jump shot not a bad FT shooter).  

I wouldn't trade for Turner unless we were trading our crap for him.  You shouldn't make the mistake of overpaying (via picks and/or cap space) centers.  Sure, pay the Embiid's, Jokic's, Ayton's, etc., but not the middle tier.  Better to get cheap rim runners.  Indy has been trying to trade Myles Turner for over two years and can't get anyone to bite.  

It's why I am a little peeved the team didn't keep Isaiah Jackson. Wouldn't have gotten PT this season but would've been a strong contributor in 2022 after Harrell and Bryant expire

54 minutes ago, method man said:

It's why I am a little peeved the team didn't keep Isaiah Jackson. Wouldn't have gotten PT this season but would've been a strong contributor in 2022 after Harrell and Bryant expire

Meh.  You can find cheap rim runners/backup centers everywhere.  If we want a good backup center, we can sign RLO next year LOL.  Miami just dumped Precious (whom they drafted in the 1st round last year) in the Lowry S&T.  I would have taken Springer at 22.