Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Yi is a good player too. I think a lot of people have forgotten about him, or don't know anything about him.
He really impressed me last night. He was cleaning the glass, setting good looking screens, doing the little things.

Wall is Chris Paul fast. I am hoping for the best but I see McGee getting skooled by most big men this year.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/

Gilbert Arenas says he is not seeking an early exit

After the Wizards concluded practice at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Gilbert Arenas grabbed a seat on a portable water cooler and put an ice pack on his left knee. He then called me over because he wanted to clarify his post-game comments after the Wizards' 97-94 win against Dallas in the preseason opener, lest there be any confusion about what he said or even intended to say.

Arenas created a bit of stir after John Wall's thrilling preseason debut when he said that his new role with the Wizards is to "teach John the ins and outs of the game, and eventually go on and move on." When asked what he meant when he said, "move on," Arenas replied, "This is the NBA. There's few players that stay in the same city, so right now the city is John's. I'm not here to fight anybody. I'm here to play alongside of him. He's Batman, I'm Robin. When I came in, Larry [Hughes] moved aside for me to become a star and I'm moving aside for him to become a star."

To some, Arenas's comments appeared to be a message that he was looking to be moved before his contract expires after the 2013-14 season. Arenas said he isn't looking to go anywhere, or seeking a trade; he is content serving as a mentor to Wall and the other young Wizards as one of the few veterans on the roster. He said he simply meant that he would move on when his deal ends, not before it.

"I've got four years left," Arenas said, "and that's it. That's all I was saying."

At the end of his current contract, Arenas will be 32 and the rest of the Wizards' young players -- such as Wall, JaVale McGee, Andray Blatche and possibly Yi Jianlian, if he re-signs next summer -- will be entering their respective primes. He said it's only natural for teams to move on and bring in younger players, but he enjoys being around this group.

Arenas said was merely stating the obvious: It is Wall's team now. He's a veteran role player around to show him the ropes and help him become a star. "I had my time," Arenas said.

I hope Arenas can break himself out of his funk. He's a good guy who did something very foolish. It's over and I don't think anyone harbors ill will towards him. Hopefully, a little success and little love will restore him. Right now, he sounds like a martyr. Pretty sad.

He really impressed me last night. He was cleaning the glass, setting good looking screens, doing the little things.

And we basically got him for free. I know Ted has a full-blown mancrush on him for awhile. There was like a whole month there where literally every other Bullets-related post on his blog was about Yii and how excited he is about him. Dude is still young (allegedly) and he is crazy athletic. There is a picture on the internets where he looks like the basketball version Laron Landry. Just absolutely ripped. I'll track it down and post it when I get off tonight.

But yeah great pickup by Ernie. He fits right in with what we're doing; building the team around Wall and take advantage of his biggest strength, his speed. We might already be the most athletic team in the league.

And we basically got him for free. I know Ted has a full-blown mancrush on him for awhile. There was like a whole month there where literally every other Bullets-related post on his blog was about Yii and how excited he is about him. Dude is still young (allegedly) and he is crazy athletic. There is a picture on the internets where he looks like the basketball version Laron Landry. Just absolutely ripped. I'll track it down and post it when I get off tonight.

But yeah great pickup by Ernie. He fits right in with what we're doing; building the team around Wall and take advantage of his biggest strength, his speed. We might already be the most athletic team in the league.

we're not that far off, but OKC has that title under lock & key

I actually like the serious Arenas. No ****ing around, get the job done.

I like how this team looks on paper, but I'm going to refrain from saying anything good about them all season, because that just leads to disappointment. I do think we have a lot of young talent.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2010/10/ted-leonsis-hints-at-a-possibl.html

Ted Leonsis says name change to Bullets is 'under consideration'

New Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has gone a long way toward engaging with fans of his team since taking over the franchise since June. He has taken suggestions from fans through his email address, TheWashWiz@aol.com, responded to the ones he deems reasonable, and made every effort he can to keep the fans he has, regain any that the franchise has lost and acquiring new ones along the way.

The efforts are already noticeable at Verizon Center and through some other changes for the Wizards, who recently established an alumni association for former Bullets and Wizards players and held training camp in Northern Virginia to be closer to the local fan base. But Leonsis spelled out everything that he has done or plans to do now that he is control, in full detail on his personal blog, Ted's Take.

In a blog post titled, "The Wisdom of Our Crowds - 101 To Do List Final," Leonsis puts out his "List of 101 Signs of Visible Change," which includes fans suggestions and what he has done. The list includes such things as "2. Reconnect with Gilbert Arenas" and "59. Install beverage shelf in the men's restrooms." But two of the most startling developments in the blog, which should generate considerable excitement among fans were Nos. 28 and 31. What do those say?

28. Change Wizards' colors back to red, white and blue, which Leonsis said is "In-development."

31. Change Wizards' team name to Bullets, which Leonsis said is "Under consideration."

You should check out the entire list, but returning to red, white and blue and the Bullets is enough to make some people woozy around here.

I got to say, when I started my "Name to Replace Wizards" thread, someone on here sent me a PM saying that he had an inside source that told him it's an absolute lock that Ted is going to change the name back to Bullets. He laid out how they were going to do it. And since then, things have gone down exactly as stated.

I hope he doesn't mind me posting this. Please take the credit though if you don't.

I got to say, when I started my "Name to Replace Wizards" thread, someone on here sent me a PM saying that he had an inside source that told him it's an absolute lock that Ted is going to change the name back to Bullets. He laid out how they were going to do it. And since then, things have gone down exactly as stated.
I have full wood right now.

On two different occasions two different radio hosts on 106.7 the fan have suggested changing the name of the Wizards to the Warriors. I'm assuming you sports fans realize why this is an incredibly stupid suggestion.
We can just trade our name, Gilbert Arenas, and G-Wiz to Golden State for their name, Stephen Curry, and Andris Biedrins. I tried it in the NBA Trade Machine and it works out.

The Golden State Wizards. :ols:

If they ARE able to change the name back to Bullets, I'm selling my 3 Wizards jerseys. Or I'll just give them away.

I have 2 Jordan Wizards jerseys and 1 Hamilton.

I have 2 Bullets jerseys- Unseld road and Jordan home.

Edited by pjfootballer

http://www.nba.com/wizards/news/alumni_101005.html

Wizards Launch Alumni Association

In an effort to honor the proud past of the Washington Bullets and Wizards, Executive Vice President Greg Bibb announced that the organization has created a Washington Bullets/Wizards Alumni Association. The goal of the association will be to reconnect former players with one another while honoring them for their contribution. The Bullets/Wizards association will be led by former Bullets forward Bob Dandridge.

“The formal establishment of a Washington Bullets/Wizards Alumni Association is a vital step in our on-going efforts to re-connect with the proud history of our organization while making sure to take the time to honor the men who helped forge our past,” Bibb stated. “We are honored and pleased to have Bob Dandridge lead this initiative for us and I’m eager to work with him to develop programs that shed light on these great memories while paying tribute to those who helped create them.”

A 13-year NBA veteran, Dandridge was a member of the Bullets team that captured the 1978 NBA championship.

“It’s a welcome feeling for former players to feel that they are still part of the organization even though they are no longer active,” said Dandridge. “They have always remained Bullets or Wizards at heart and it’s wonderful to see that their contributions were appreciated.”