Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

You have to build through the draft imo.  That's the only way to build a winner in DC.  No superstar wants to sign here and we don't have the cap space to do it anyway.  We absolutely have to trade Beal and/or Westbrook to win.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ball Security said:

To your point about Giannis and Curry, it seems like the chances of getting a late or non-lottery star  happens more often successfully than trading talent and tanking. (Giannis, Leonard, Mitchell, Jokic).  

I will point that in those cases, the best player on the team before those teams got those players was gone by the time those teams were really good.

The best players on GS the year before Curry was drafted were gone before GS won their championship.  The best players on the Bucks the year before Giannis are all gone.  The best players in Denver the year before Jokic was drafted are gone.

Your chances of getting lucky and getting a great player outside of the top 5 or 6 of the draft and then pairing that player with Beal to become a contender are exceedingly low.  Partly because getting that player is unlikely.  Getting that player in a position (not a SG), with a skill set that fits with Beal,  and in a time frame that they are able to be a really good player in Beal's window of being a really good player is even smaller.

Edited by PeterMP

This really all goes back to the horrendous decision by EG and Ted to extend Wall way before they needed to. That contract has been soul crushing to the entire organization and fan base. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Who are some of your top coaching candidates?

They're not a top candidate of mine but I really think these bammas are gonna go the progressive route and hire Hammon (If Boston doesn't go after her).

I'm operating as if Brooks is leaving. My mind can't function any other way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Keep brooks

go all out in offseason. Buy a better team.

I've said all along Westbrook and Beal can't do everything by themselves. Rui is solid and hopefully blossoms more his 3rd year. Need a bench. Need depth. Sixers roasted us with depth.

I think Westbrook / Beal / Deni / Rui / Thomas Bryant (or Gafford) could be pretty solid starting 5, but Deni and Rui have to be more consistent. They have potential they just need to step up more.

And Wizards pretty much have no bench lol. Bertans is a huge headache but they can't deal that contract.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Keep brooks

go all out in offseason. Buy a better team.

I've said all along Westbrook and Beal can't do everything by themselves. Rui is solid and hopefully blossoms more his 3rd year. Need a bench. Need depth. Sixers roasted us with depth.

I think Westbrook / Beal / Deni / Rui / Thomas Bryant (or Gafford) could be pretty solid starting 5, but Deni and Rui have to be more consistent. They have potential they just need to step up more.

And Wizards pretty much have no bench lol. Bertans is a huge headache but they can't deal that contract.

You lost me at keep Brooks...

But you got me back with the rest of your post. You're right, the team isn't THAT bad. Just need a few pieces.

I just don't trust Brooks to do anything with any new pieces. The man is buns.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Stop trolling. 

or learn why Brooks has been terrible. 

I've said all along they aren't going to fire him because he works well with the front office and the players like him. The elements just aren't there for a divorce or amicable parting. He has insisted he wants to be back and management hasn't shown any indication that they wouldn't bring him back.

7 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

I've said all along they aren't going to fire him because he works well with the front office and the players like him. The elements just aren't there for a divorce or amicable parting. He has insisted he wants to be back and management hasn't shown any indication that they wouldn't bring him back.

I find this to be strange criteria for bringing a coach back that has lost more than he’s won. 

Just now, Hersh said:

I find this to be strange criteria for bringing a coach back that has lost more than he’s won. 

Westbrook has repeatedly said that Brooks was the main reason the team stormed back from irrelevance this year, and has vociferously fought to keep him. I find it very hard that the FO would just ignore his input.

Brooks is okay as a coach but remember he's also had 3 playoff teams in 5 years.

1 minute ago, CrypticVillain said:

They're there...

Open Photo

Okay but you're also ignoring that he has made the playoffs 3/5 years and that the FO doesn't have an issue with him.

Again to be clear if they fire him tomorrow I don't care and would agree

I'm just telling you the FO has no issue with him at the moment

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I do agree that Deni/Rui/Bryant/Gafford/Bertans has the potential to be an extremely formidable front court...albeit one that is very limited defensively.

With a coach that doesn't run iso for his or her two guards. 

59 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Okay but you're also ignoring that he has made the playoffs 3/5 years and that the FO doesn't have an issue with him.

Again to be clear if they fire him tomorrow I don't care and would agree

I'm just telling you the FO has no issue with him at the moment

I don't know why you think the FO has no issue with him at the moment. I'm sure Shep understands that his job security is tied directly to Brooks performance 

2 hours ago, CrypticVillain said:

Who are some of your top coaching candidates?

They're not a top candidate of mine but I really think these bammas are gonna go the progressive route and hire Hammon (If Boston doesn't go after her).

I'm operating as if Brooks is leaving. My mind can't function any other way.

The candidate that I would pick would come to the interview with a detailed plan on how to get Rui more involved/developed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

The candidate that I would pick would come to the interview with a detailed plan on how to get Rui more involved/developed.

and how to develop Deni. If they don’t mention anything about ball handling/play making the interview would be over.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Right. How is this HUGE fact not getting through? Even if players were available, AND wanted to come here. They don't have the cap room and Ted isn't likely to go over the luxury tax.

In that case the Wizards won't do ****

Again the best teams in the NBA pay for rings.

Buy a better bench or this team will flame out again.

23 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

In that case the Wizards won't do ****

Again the best teams in the NBA pay for rings.

Buy a better bench or this team will flame out again.

The Wizards aren't a better bench away from being a contender.  They need at least one new star player.  And you can't exceed the cap to go out and sign a star player.

Good teams end up over the cap resigning their existing players.  Not because they went out and bought a bench.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

The Wizards aren't a better bench away from being a contender.  They need at least one new star player.  And you can't exceed the cap to go out and sign a star player.

Good teams end up over the cap resigning their existing players.  Not because they went out and bought a bench.

People other than Westbrook and Beal need to ****ing do something

it's literally the reason they lost the series

5 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

People other than Westbrook and Beal need to ****ing do something

it's literally the reason they lost the series

This analysis is literally wrong. Beal and Westbrook weren't good in the series. 

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Hersh said:

This analysis is literally wrong. Beal and Westbrook weren't good in the series. 

Look at game 5 

They only won game 4 because bertans actually did something 

Otherwise Beal and Westbrook carried this team. They need more of a supporting cast. Like even the broadcasters and media admitted this much.