Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I know it's not perfect, but we're a better team keeping Webster then letting him walk. I can live with it.

Doesn't he have the potential to be a very good 6th man?  

btw when does the NBA release their schedules approximately?  I'm looking to plan a short trip to Orlando (I live in Jax) when the Wiz visit.

Strange though... is this really the team you want to keep in tact?

We're really only committed to Wall (assuming he gets his max deal), Nene (this is the problem contract), Beal, Porter, & now Webster.

This team could and probably will look drastically different after next season.

Edited by StillUnknown

We're really only committed to Wall (assuming he gets his max deal), Nene (this is the problem contract), Beal, Porter, & now Webster.

Fair to say the're using this as another development year for Wall/Beal and now Porter?  Next year the "big" men in the draft are much more talented than years past right?

I honestly don't even know how this would work, but I would love for this team to inquire about aquiring Omer Asik.  What if there was a deal centered around Nene/Ariza....but the only caveat is that Royce White has to come to DC.  Would you pull the trigger on that? 

Fair to say the're using this as another development year for Wall/Beal and now Porter?  Next year the "big" men in the draft are much more talented than years past right?

I wouldn't call it a development year at all, this team is fully expected to make the playoffs (although nobody moves a goalpost quite like Ted).

2014 is supposed to be a deep draft, but if things go right, we won't be in position to take one of the top prospects.

I think you keep this core intact. Spent four years building it. It's a big three construction with an alpha star in Wall. Two of them 20, one 22. That's what you hope to build. The main thing now is just waiting for those three to mature. In about four years, they'll be in the front end of their primes and I think all three will be All Stars. You'll be looking for incremental progress each year.

In the short term, it's just about putting the right pieces around those guys to facilitate their development and give them a chance to win some games and get a taste of success early. You just want to make sure you don't plateau the construction too early, or make it so you can't keep all three of them... like OKC did.

I'm more satisfied with the current state and direction of the team than at any point in years. This is how I felt about the Nationals back in like 2009 and 2010. Good things were obviously ahead.

This team should make the playoffs by default considering how bad some of the East teams are going to be. 2 or 3 teams could make the playoffs in the East with a losing record next season. If you don't think so, look at last years standings and think about how much worse the 6th, 7th, and 8th seeds are after this off season.

• Like 1

This team should make the playoffs by default considering how bad some of the East teams are going to be. 2 or 3 teams could make the playoffs in the East with a losing record next season. If you don't think so, look at last years standings and think about how much worse the 6th, 7th, and 8th seeds are after this off season.

And 9th place Philly is far worse.

ESPN rumors has LaMarcus Aldridge possibly wanting out of Portland. What would you give up for him? I'd offer next years 1st and Okafor and after they turn that down I'd follow up with Otto, next years 1st and Okafor.

ESPN rumors has LaMarcus Aldridge possibly wanting out of Portland. What would you give up for him? I'd offer next years 1st and Okafor and after they turn that down I'd follow up with Otto, next years 1st and Okafor.

Beal or Otto and Nene or Okafor.

Edited by Destino

Upside? He's a 20+ ppg player right now at a time where that can only be said of about 10 players in the league. He's an extremely productive big and a obvious max player. Matching a big with a guard also historically works far better than having a perimeter dependent team. If the wizards can get him they need to do it.

A team built around Wall and Alridge, with Otto or Beal as the third option is pretty damn impressive.

• Like 2

Yeah, but is Aldridge a good fit here?

A couple things that give me pause,

- He's an awful defender.

- He's a perimeter oriented player, not as much of an inside scoring presence

- He's a pretty high usage player who you have to run a lot of your offense through in the high post, takes the ball out of John's hands. He's not an offensive rebounder is better suited to a slow, half court style.

And he's 28 years old and only has 2 years on his contract.

Porter and/or Beal make more sense to pair with Wall long term IMO. They're 20 and John is 22. I'd rather take a chance on having 10 years of both of them than perhaps two years with Aldridge.

Aldridge is very good, but he isn't a world beater nor a player of making a significant difference in the W/L column on his own. He's proven that the past two seasons. A lot of what makes him stand out is the fact that the PF crop in the NBA is very diluted and flawed right now, following the transition of Duncan and KG to C and the aging of Gasol and Dirk. There are no complete PFs any more. And if we were looking for a good but flawed PF to pair with Wall, an interior banger like Cousins or a floor runner like Griffin would be better.

Dealing Nene or Okafor in a package for Aldridge too would also probably make us terrible on D.

Steve you are over thinking something that should be obvious.  

1 - Aldridge is big that can shoot and move his feet.  The Wizards are a team that MIGHT have ONE star player next season.  ONE.  Why do I say that?  Because Wall has been a star player for 2 months in his career.  Before that he's been all potential and numbers that projected well.  There is no situation in which fails to fit with the Wizards or with a great point guard.  

2 - The Wizards desperately need a player that takes the ball away from John Wall.  I will never understand why so many basketball fans want teams in which a single player dominates the ball and runs the offense.  Every team needs at least two guys that can play with the ball in their hands and be successful.  The Wizards have one guy that can do that and if that remains true they will get destroyed in the post season when defenses have nothing to do other than disrupt Wall's game and force Beal or Porter to put the ball on the floor and beat them.  

3 - What makes Aldridge stand out is his productivity.  I don't care who is playing in the league a guy putting up 20 and 9 is always going to be valued highly.  Unlike most bigs he can also hit a free throw so you can throw him the ball late in games as well.  I agree that he's not a superstar that will single handedly drag a team to the promised land... but he's a damn good second star.  

4 - He is a better player than Okafor and Nene.  

5 - He's ready now.  Wall and him are a duo that a good GM and coach can build around.  Beal and Otto might one day be that but they aren't that now.  The wizards need more chickens and less eggs.      

Edited by Destino

- He's a pretty high usage player who you have to run a lot of your offense through in the high post, takes the ball out of John's hands. He's not an offensive rebounder is better suited to a slow, half court style.

Porter and/or Beal make more sense to pair with Wall long term IMO. They're 20 and John is 22. I'd rather take a chance on having 10 years of both of them than perhaps two years with Aldridge.

Aldridge is very good, but he isn't a world beater nor a player of making a significant difference in the W/L column on his own. He's proven that the past two seasons. A lot of what makes him stand out is the fact that the PF crop in the NBA is very diluted and flawed right now, following the transition of Duncan and KG to C and the aging of Gasol and Dirk. There are no complete PFs any more. And if we were looking for a good but flawed PF to pair with Wall, an interior banger like Cousins or a floor runner like Griffin would be better.

Dealing Nene or Okafor in a package for Aldridge too would also probably make us terrible on D.

Your opinion is very different from other scouting reports. He rates very high in any efficiency rating out there and there is nothing to suggest he would make us terrible on D.

So Utah gets two first round picks (2014 and 2017) helping Golden State create cap space to sign Iguodala while EG and the Wiz got nothing for helping New Orleans clear cap space last off season. Ted has really become a bad owner.

So Utah gets two first round picks (2014 and 2017) helping Golden State create cap space to sign Iguodala while EG and the Wiz got nothing for helping New Orleans clear cap space last off season. Ted has really become a bad owner.

Ernie Grunfeld.......master negotiator 

• Like 1

Why exactly do the Warrios want Iggy? Watching the post season last year it seemed that they got terrific play from their wings. Steph Curry's glass ankles and David Lee is sing the entire post season hurt them. I don't see how Iggy fits in.

Unless they are going full win now mode and preparing to trade a young player.

What do you mean "become a bad owner"? He's always been a terrible owner however lucking into Ovechkin had people thinking otherwise. He's far worse than Snyder, at least Snyder poured his money back into the team. I just don't understand the love for Ted and the disdain for Snyder?

Ernie needs to earn his damn money and get to work on trades. Asik is likely on the move and this tub of **** we have runningthe team probably hasn't even made an offer. I get the distinct impression that Grunfeld is lazy.

What do you mean "become a bad owner"? He's always been a terrible owner however lucking into Ovechkin had people thinking otherwise. He's far worse than Snyder, at least Snyder poured his money back into the team. I just don't understand the love for Ted and the disdain for Snyder?

One at least pretends to care about the fans and be responsive. The other...doesn't.

Ernie needs to earn his damn money and get to work on trades. Asik is likely on the move and this tub of **** we have runningthe team probably hasn't even made an offer. I get the distinct impression that Grunfeld is lazy.

Grunfeld is looking at his roster, sees the East get weaker, then smiles while thinking of his inevitable contract extension.

Kinda jealous of Houston's GM, that man flipped that roster in 2 years. One star via trade, another via free agency. Meanwhile our guy is shooting for the 8th seed.

Edited by StillUnknown

Grunfeld is looking at his roster, sees the East get weaker, then smiles while thinking of his inevitable contract extension.

Kinda jealous of Houston's GM, that man flipped that roster in 2 years. One star via trade, another via free agency. Meanwhile our guy is shooting for the 8th seed.

Meh, it took the Rockets four years to rebuild. And they had to get lucky to do it. It was extremely improbable that Dwight would just walk away from 30 million dollars. LA had to do everything in their power to **** it up, and they did. That's a once in a blue moon thing.

I like the path this team is currently on with this build and I'm ready to be patient for it because I actually believe in it. I think we've got a great big three construction that should be sustainable for at least a decade. I think the DC brand is about to radically improve and we're due for a long period of consecutive winning seasons and relevance that'll mark the greatest era in franchise history, similar to what Dallas enjoyed for about 13 or 14 years with the Dirk era.

Your opinion is very different from other scouting reports. He rates very high in any efficiency rating out there and there is nothing to suggest he would make us terrible on D.

What scouting reports?

Aldridge is an efficient scorer and rebounder--for a perimeter oriented big. His actual shooting percentages aren't great for a big man because he operates mostly from mid range. He's a high usage scorer who you have to run a lot of your offense through from the high post. At this spot he has a good ISO game and he does a lot of the facilitating. John is a ball dominant PG whose best paired with off ball scorers--transition finishers to run with, interior finishers for pick and rolls and drive and dishes, cutters, spot up shooters, and pick and fade options. That's not really Aldridge. Aldridge is a creator. He'd have to change to pair better with Wall because Wall is currently not good enough a shooter to play off the ball a lot.

Aldridge is an awful defender, and we'd presumably have to deal a good defensive big in Okafor or Nene to get him, which would make us bad on D again. Teams with bad defensive bigs are bad defensive teams.