Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'd take Pau but giving up the third pick for him is a rough deal. This is the kind of deal that Shard's contract should have brokered...

Regarding trading 3 for 6 and Matthews to drop Blatche: it's a rough deal, but Matthews is a somewhat useful player. He can shoot threes and play defense. His contract is more of an issue than anything.

We'd be trading a 4 year deal we could get out of today for a 4 year deal we're stuck with. We'd move down three spots in the draft and get a marginally useful shooting guard for our trouble. If I thought more highly of Matthews, I'd consider it, but this feels like a deal where both sides lose...

Just amnesty Blatche. We've got it and he's the only one we can use it on. Don't try and wheel and deal him around because he brings negative value to every trade. We can get better deals and just amnesty him.

Yes, Wizards lives would be made a lot easier if they were finally able to get out of the 3rd spot and get Gasol. NOT

Gasol + Nene + Wall is a surefire playoff team in the East.

That said, if the Lakers want to dump Gasol, we should not be giving up the third pick to facilitate that. That third pick is a more valuable asset to us long term than two years of Gasol.

Shard's deal should have been the carrot for a Gasol deal. Goddammit.

Gasol doesn't really make sense for us because of our salary situation, and dealing him to us doesn't make sense for the Lakers either.

We can't have him + Okafor + Nene on the squad, that's entirely too much money. Okafor's contract has two years on it so it's not even relief for the Lakers, they'd be giving up long term cap relief by swapping plus getting an inferior player in return. Nene's contract holds absolutely no interest for a team like the Lakers. Neither does Blatche's.

Shard's deal was the only deal we had that could have given the Lakers immediate cap relief. The only attractive assets we have to include in this deal are Wall (Hell no), Seraphin (I probably wouldn't), and the third pick (God...).

The Lakers are unlikely to be interested in the third pick on its own. But they could use it to bargain with Orlando for Dwight. Maybe 3rd plus Okafor and Blatche/Ariza for Pau gets a deal done.

But in the end, two seasons of playoffs before Pau his UFA/declines isn't worth the third overall pick to me. Once Pau leaves to piggy back onto a contender in two seasons, we'd be left with a core of John Wall + Nene + Vesely/Seraphin... maybe. We'd be too good to get high lotto picks but not nearly good enough to actually contend. Sounds exactly like the situation New Orleans got themselves into with Chris Paul. Basketball Purgatory.

Just amnesty Blatche and spend the third pick on a good player. Wall + Beal/MKG + Vesely + Seraphin + Nene is a better core, playoffs in the intervening period or no.

Gasol + Nene + Wall is a surefire playoff team in the East.

That said, if the Lakers want to dump Gasol, we should not be giving up the third pick to facilitate that. That third pick is a more valuable asset to us long term than two years of Gasol.

Shard's deal should have been the carrot for a Gasol deal. Goddammit.

Gasol doesn't really make sense for us because of our salary situation, and dealing him to us doesn't make sense for the Lakers either.

We can't have him + Okafor + Nene on the squad, that's entirely too much money. Okafor's contract has two years on it so it's not even relief for the Lakers, they'd be giving up long term cap relief by swapping plus getting an inferior player in return. Nene's contract holds absolutely no interest for a team like the Lakers. Neither does Blatche's.

Shard's deal was the only deal we had that could have given the Lakers immediate cap relief. The only attractive assets we have to include in this deal are Wall (Hell no), Seraphin (I probably wouldn't), and the third pick (God...).

The Lakers are unlikely to be interested in the third pick on its own. But they could use it to bargain with Orlando for Dwight. Maybe 3rd plus Okafor and Blatche/Ariza for Pau gets a deal done.

But in the end, two seasons of playoffs before Pau his UFA/declines isn't worth the third overall pick to me. Once Pau leaves to piggy back onto a contender in two seasons, we'd be left with a core of John Wall + Nene + Vesely/Seraphin... maybe. We'd be too good to get high lotto picks but not nearly good enough to actually contend. Sounds exactly like the situation New Orleans got themselves into with Chris Paul. Basketball Purgatory.

Just amnesty Blatche and spend the third pick on a good player. Wall + Beal/MKG + Vesely + Seraphin + Nene is a better core, playoffs in the intervening period or no.

I agree with your post.

But are you saying to include Blatches/ Ariza's contract into the bidding with the 3rd overall for Pau or did I read that wrong?

I'd work out a package to send anything on the roster except John Wall to Sacramento for DeMarcus Cousins though. He's about the only big I would want to go out and trade for.

I'd go 3 + Nene + Booker for Cousins + John Salmons.

I think both sides come away with something here. We get Cousins. I think Wll + Cousins + Seraphin is a sustainably good core. They get a second top five pick, a young PF with a PER over 15 (which indicates he's going to be a quality rotational player at worst) and a quality veteran big to replace 80-90% of Cousins offense and efficiency and make that locker room more experienced and much more stable--which it desperately needs. The Kings could reorganize themselves around Tyreke, Isiah Thomas, Jimmer, Thornton, Nene, and Jason Thompson + two of Harrison Barnes/TRob/MKG/Beal/Drummond. Imagine if they got MKG/Barnes and Drummond/TRob. That'd actually be a potent roster.

It's going to hurt a bit for both teams. We'd be taking a huge risk on Cousins, essentially giving up two highly valuable pieces and one more pretty valuable piece for just one in return. Cousins isn't the most stable element either. But it'd be swinging for the fences for legit potential. The Kings would be risking giving up a potential top 3 Big and franchise centerpiece in return for getting out of Salmons's deal, adding two more stabilizing pieces in the front court of quality, and potentially adding a second high quality big.

OR Sacramento could go balls out and deal 3 and 5 for something special. If they're willing to deal Tyreke and some of those picks, I think they could get a Superstar in return. Tyreke plus 3 plus Jason Thompson and maybe Chuck Hayes's contract for Dwight Howard?

It's a giant risk for Sacramento unless Dwight signs an extension. But man, that's a trade that could be hugely beneficial for both sides. Dwight + Nene would be the best front court in the game. And they've already got a PG and some shooters/scorers at the 2 in Isiah and Thornton/Jimmer. They'd have a ton of salary space to sign FAs. and if they hold on to the 5th pick in that deal, then they might get MKG/Banes for a wing. In a single offseason they could become a league power.

In return, Orlando comes out of the Dwight debacle with as much hope for the future as they're going to get. Tyreke plus 3 probably gets the Dummond if they want him and Jason Thompson would be a good short term filler. Tyreke is an elite scorer in the mean time, plus they could probably count on getting a high lotto pick this season. If they managed to get the fifth pick also, they'd be going about a rebuild as quickly as possible.

It sounds crazy, but there is enough incentive in each of those deals for each team to make them: for their trouble as the broker, Sacramento immediately vaults into contention. Orlando gets to jump off a sinking ship as gracefully as possible. And we get a 21 year old potential top 3 big man who we already know works marvelously well with our star PG. I think everyone comes out ahead here.

---------- Post added June-26th-2012 at 12:07 PM ----------

I agree with your post.

But are you saying to include Blatches/ Ariza's contract into the bidding with the 3rd overall for Pau or did I read that wrong?

I assume you would have to.

Ariza/Blatche are seven million each. You'd probably need to add them to the deal to make the salary match Pau's. Pau for Okafor leaves the Lakers short about 5 million in salary. We'd have to cover that with a contract and Blatche and Ariza are our only ones that can cover it with just one contract. Otherwise we'd have to deal like Vesely + two of Crawford/Seraphin/Booker. I wouldn't want to do that at all.

The third pick has to be in the package to incentivize the deal for the Lakers.

Was just told the pick is Beal barring trades. If he is gone lookout for one of the trades I mentioned involving Blatche.

Man I hope your source is wrong.

But it's totally believable. This dumbass of a GM would is completely capable of ignoring the smart move in favor of the dumb one.

Man I hope your source is wrong.

But it's totally believable. This dumbass of a GM would is completely capable of ignoring the smart move in favor of the dumb one.

I dont want Beal either not in the top 3. Much prefer Barnes,Mkg or even Drummond.

My source is'nt a scout or front office exc but hangs out and eats lunch with them almost daily.

I dont want Beal either not in the top 3. Much prefer Barnes,Mkg or even Drummond.

My source is'nt a scout or front office exc but hangs out and eats lunch with them almost daily.

I'm not as opposed to picking Beal as I am to using Blatche in a trade.

The guy has such negative value, that we're guaranteed to get trade raped.

If we're going to get Beal, I hope its because we think he has the best chance of becoming a superstar. I don't want to draft players (especially this high) based on a metric like how this (recently crappy) team is constructed. How many pics have we passed on based on stuff like this?

If anything though, I trust that Ernie can find athletic guys. He doesn't always go for brains, but he does go after athleticism. Hopefully that'll help.

If we're going to get Beal, I hope its because we think he has the best chance of becoming a superstar. I don't want to draft players (especially this high) based on a metric like how this (recently crappy) team is constructed. How many pics have we passed on based on stuff like this?

If anything though, I trust that Ernie can find athletic guys. He doesn't always go for brains, but he does go after athleticism. Hopefully that'll help.

I was told top 5 ranking were

Davis

Trob

MKG

Barnes

Beal

We are clearly drating for need instead of Bpa.

Take it with a grain of salt its 2nd hand info.

Davis

Trob

MKG

Barnes

Beal

If those are the top-5 rankings, trading back if we don't land beal (according to your source) makes no sense...MKG WILL be there at #3.

Davis

Trob

MKG

Barnes

Beal

The fact they have MKG over Beal should lead them to draft MKG if Beal is taken. Pau Gasol is going to be worthless to this team. He is lucky that he has had the opportunity to play next to all stars in LA, if anyone thinks he will have similarly efficient production here they are smoking some serious ish.

Beal IMO still has the best allstar ability after Davis. Barnes' best case scenario...is like danny granger minus that D (Granger actually plays some decent defense).

Have no problem with it if they want Beal that bad. I just hope EG isn't shortsighted as to select anyone other than MKG at that point. MKG needs work but he has the potential to be the best wing player in the draft. Having Trevor Friggin Ariza on your squad shouldn't deter you from picking the best player available.

---------- Post added June-26th-2012 at 02:02 PM ----------

Yeah, doesn't matter. We're a 25 win team next year anyway. Back to the Lottery in 2013. They should rename it the 2013 Draft Lottery, sponsored by the Washington Wizards.

I'd be ok with that, as long as it meant EG gets canned. He is a franchise destroyer.

Have no problem with it if they want Beal that bad. I just hope EG isn't shortsighted as to select anyone other than MKG at that point. MKG needs work but he has the potential to be the best wing player in the draft. Having Trevor Friggin Ariza on your squad shouldn't deter you from picking the best player available.

I pray to god we realize that.

---------- Post added June-26th-2012 at 02:03 PM ----------

Yeah, doesn't matter. We're a 25 win team next year anyway. Back to the Lottery in 2013. They should rename it the 2013 Draft Lottery, sponsored by the Washington Wizards.

Nah, I'm tired of being the trivia question of the team that passed up on Superstar X.

I think I'd rather have Dan Snyder as the Wiz owner.

Yep. I said it.

At least I wouldn't have to worry about passing up talent just to dump salary (Blatche).

this is true, at the least the current snyder isn't a cheap ****. Snyder seems to be more about winning then leonsis. Ted just seems to want to put out a product that entices but anyone with a brain knows cannot possibly contend for anything. Draft times always make me disgusted as a wizards fan, I can't help but be terrified in knowing that we will find a way to **** things up.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/46606/wizards-hit-a-wall-target-perimeter-help

The Washington Wizards didn’t win three games in a row all season before ending with a six-game win streak. With positive momentum on their side, the Wizards have an opportunity to improve on the perimeter in the NBA Draft.

SHOOTING

The Wizards were among the worst outside shooting teams in the NBA. They shot 32 percent on 3-point attempts, which ranked third-worst in the league.

Despite relying on spot-up jumpers more than any other play type, the Wizards were the third-worst spot-up team. They averaged 0.88 points per spot-up play and shot 36 percent on those shot attempts. Only the Charlotte Bobcats and Sacramento Kings shot worse and were more inefficient on spot-up plays.