Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Great start to the game. The Spurs look a little shell shocked by our energy and speed.

---------- Post added March-12th-2012 at 08:45 PM ----------

Offense rushed that possession. Wow, Blair makes Booker look short...

---------- Post added March-12th-2012 at 08:47 PM ----------

McGee with three offensive rebounds already. He's active on the boards tonight. Good.

---------- Post added March-12th-2012 at 08:49 PM ----------

Goooooood lord. I think I saw the ball burst into flames when Jordan Crawford touched it. 3/3 from 3 to start.

Jumpshots are keeping us in this game (just barely).

Spurs are moving the ball like we're not even there, easy passes leading to high percentage shots.

This game could get ugly fast if our shooters cool off.

Offensively we're still content on playing one on one ball. Its even more obvious when you see how the Spurs operate every offensive possession.

Edited by StillUnknown

Lol.... McGee was tearing it up' date=' and now he doesnt even get in the game during the 4th. Instead we play with one big on the floor...... blatche. We deserve to lose this game.[/quote']

I didnt see the game but does this surprise you? Wittman pulls the rug out from under our bigs routinely. Seraphin had a good game? Take away all his minutes! Bigs scoring well? Go three guards and give them all a green shooting light! That's what this idiot coach is all about.

We are the only team in the NBA that has a scoring center and PF but limit their shot attempts to single digits and take their minutes after they score effectively. No other team is that ridiculous.

Also can someone tell me wtf Wittman sees in Singleton? He gets big minutes and Evans can't get in the game. Evans and/or Mason should get most of the minutes at SF this offense is far better with them on the floor.

Edited by Destino

I didnt see the game but does this surprise you? Wittman pulls the rug out from under our bigs routinely. Seraphin had a good game? Take away all his minutes! Bigs scoring well? Go three guards and give them all a green shooting light! That's what this idiot coach is all about.

We are the only team in the NBA that has a scoring center and PF but limit their shot attempts to single digits and take their minutes after they score effectively. No other team is that ridiculous.

Also can someone tell me wtf Wittman sees in Singleton? He gets big minutes and Evans can't get in the game. Evans and/or Mason should get most of the minutes at SF this offense is far better with them on the floor.

Singleton flashes plus defensive ability throughout the course of the game but he also got lost a couple of times. On offense, he's almost comically bad off the dribble. The only thing he needs to be doing on that end is catching and shooting corner 3s. Singleton closes out on shooters better than anyone else on the roster and he can defend the rim too. He and John are basically the only guys on the team that have plus size for their positions, including both length and strength.

Blatche wasn't horrible when he was the third or fourth offensive option on the court. But some of our line ups are just downright stupid. Making him the primary option and he feels he has to be the hero--that's when the turnaround fades and spin move drives start coming out.

I don't think Wittman truly plays to win the games. Or if he think's he is, then he's a legitimate idiot. I think he's playing to develop the guards and doesn't want to penalize them and hurt their confidence for shooting poorly. Enough is enough though. Our offense is stagnant hero ball, "let's see how difficult a shot we can jack up and make from time to time." Crawford started hot and finished cold. He should have been pulled when he started slowing down, but really, the game was already out of reach by then.

The problem is that this team has too many guards that Whittman wants to give burn, and basically not a single one of them are a quality defender and/or an efficient scorer.

He's trying to give Wall and Crawford ~34 minutes a game, NY gets ~25, Mason and Mack get ~15. That ends up pushing Singleton and Vesely to PF for a lot of their minutes, keeps Evans off the floor, and cuts into Booker's and McGee's and Seraphin's minutes because there are only so many minutes to be had at the four and five when you've got two small forwards taking 20+ minutes at the 4 each night. Wittman hasn't figured out that Vesely is a 3 and not a 4. Now with Blatche back, he's got to get 15+ minutes a game so basically Seraphin is (undeservedly) the odd man out.

The major problem with this is that McGee, Booker, and Seraphin, are pretty much proving themselves to be our best defenders and most efficient scorers by far. They deserve to be on the floor more than the guards do, and what's most baffling is that their development is more important and valuable than any one of the wings and back court players save Wall.

Wittman is just so far out of his depth.

Our most effective lineups last night were when Vesely, Booker, and McGee were on the court together. Vesely and McGee particularly. Their length was the one thing that truly bothered the Spurs from time to time, and I was surprised out how effective McGee was at keeping Duncan off the boards. Would have been nice to get a similar effort from the PF regarding Blair, who got 7 offensive rebounds. That was one of our big problems. The other was the defense of Tony Parker, who, despite his high turnovers, basically just had his way with us.