Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

McGee + Vesely/Singleton for Derrick Williams + Darko

Booker to the Nuggets for Wilson Chandler

Make it happen Grunfeld. (then gtfo)

I wouldn't make the first trade because personally, I'm not sold on Derrick Williams.

I don't know what position he actually plays and in talking to some folks in Minnesota, the organization shares the same concerns.

According to reports today, Ernie rejected McGee + #6 (Vesely) for #2 (Derek Williams) leading up to the draft last season.

Michael Lee

‏ @MrMichaelLee

Source just told me #wizards have informed teams they can have any player except John Wall if they are willing to take Andray Blatche

I don't see why they're rushing to remove Blatche now. We dealt with him for this long, a half season more won't hurt. Bench him the rest of the way, amnesty his ass in the offseason and be done with it. Attaching him to any other young asset (Booker/Vesely/Singelton/Crawford) only lessens what they would bring back in return.

Edited by StillUnknown

My friend just told me that micheal Lee on twitter said the Wizards are going after Dwight Howard and they are willing to trade anyone but John Wall i am going to look for the tweet now and ill post it if i can find it

---------- Post added March-9th-2012 at 07:32 PM ----------

nvm Stillunknown linked the tweet that i think my friend was reffering to

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2012/3/9/2857607/nba-trade-rumors-2012-andrew-bogut

Now, as most of you know, I'm open to pretty much any possibility that doesn't involve McGee as the Wizards' starting center next year. But this one doesn't do much for me. Here's why I'm not in favor.

The Bucks' asking price seems high: Stein reports that the Bucks are asking anyone acquiring Bogut to take on Stephen Jackson as well. Jackson is guaranteed to be paid over $10 million next year, and it's also guaranteed that he'll sulk through a rebuilding effort. Even if the trade is really as simple as this, that's a lot of money coming back to guys with major question marks.

Bogut simply isn't healthy: In 2009-10, Bogut was probably the second-best center in the NBA. When he plays, he's an unbelievable defensive player, an underrated post player and a outstanding rebounder. When I talk about your center being your most intelligent guy on the court, that describes Bogut to a T. But that was two years ago. Since suffering that ghastly injury at the end of that year, Bogut's offensive game has completely disappeared and he hasn't been able to stay on the court. He missed 17 games last year and played hurt through many more, to the point where he was ineffective. This year, he's played just 12 games. Prior to his breakout year, he also had an injury history. That's a problem given his salary, which is more than fair for a player of his caliber if he's healthy, but an albatross if he's not.

That's a lot of long-term money to take on: Would you rather pay McGee a five-year, $52 million deal four-year, $44 million deal or pay Bogut a two-year, $27 million deal and Stephen Jackson a one-year, $10 million? At least there's a chance McGee lives up to his contract.

All this is before we even consider the possibility of the Wizards giving up young assets for Bogut. Bottom line: it's nice to kick tires just to see how healthy Bogut could be, but there are better options available this summer.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

If Grunfeld made another decent trade like these, he'd live off them for another 3 years and keep his job.

The bullet forever McGee hate always falls apart when the alternatives come up. Count the healthy centers that score, rebound, and shot block well. That's what McGee does. He makes mistakes, certainly, but being unable to do those things and smart... Makes for a better accountant than it does a starting center.

The trades I suggested (straight from dream land) leave us set at 1, 3, and 4. Draft a 5 and hope a shooting guard either develops or becomes available.

This "take anyone as long as you take Blatche" thing is crazy. It reduces the value of Booker and McGee.

Edited by Destino

Yeah I find something that stupid hard to believe seeing how we can just amnesty Blatche if need be.

Blatche has value in and of his own anyway. If Kwame Brown can be the centerpiece of two trades, then Blatche certainly can. His contract is manageable, even for a reserve big, he can give a good team bench scoring and rebounding. He's 6'11 270ish with range, passing ability, and quickness. He has value to pretty much anyone but us. He's not just a dead weight contract.

Bogut healthy is an outright upgrade over McGee in just about every facet but I'm afraid his goose is cooked. Otherwise, there's just no way Milwaukee would deal him.

That said, Bullets forever's reason for disliking the effort being a one year ten million dollar commitment to Stephen Jackson is ****ing stupid. Ummm, it's one more year. What else were we going to spend that money on? We've got realistic ambitions to sign big name free agents? Who would we be trying to lay down some money to extend other than JaVale?

And Jackson's going to ***** about being a part of a bad team? Why wasn't it an issue for him playing in Charlotte and Milwaukee?

I'm not that excited about acquiring him but he's not a deal breaker. He's a headcase and overly emotional but you know the effort is actually there each game and he can shoot.

99% of the deal breaker for me is Bogut's health. First the elbow and now the ankle? Too many questions. We need to find a different route to go.

---------- Post added March-9th-2012 at 10:53 PM ----------

- The Jazz should trade one of their bigs.

- Minny should trade one of its PF types.

- Golden State should trade one of its guards.

- Philly should trade one of its wings.

- Indy should trade one of theirs too.

- Sacramento needs to mix things up.

I would deal with Utah for any one of their bigs. I can't imagine them wanting to deal Milsap or Jefferson though as good as they are. Favors and Kanter make more sense for us anyway. I'd trade a really nice package for Kanter. Three team deal it with Golden State. Send them JaVale and whatever for them to send Curry and whatever to Utah who then send us Kanter and whatever. Everyone wins.

I would also deal with Sacramento, offering them anything except Wall and a 2012 unprotected lottery pick for DeMarcus Cousins.

I'd deal with Minnesota for DWill but I think the asking price will be high. He's a combo forward who is going to be on the wrong side of some defensive mismatches. But what he can do offensively compensates. He's a bit slowfooted for a SF and slightly short (and not super strong) for a PF, but he can rebound and be a mismatch demon in any pick and roll/pop offense.

If you build around Wall and Cousins and we finish with the #1 pick and get Anthony Davis, that is a POTENT, uber young core. Cousins and Davis compliment each other perfectly in the front court, and best of all, Cousins would keep Davis at PF plus pick up any slack in scoring Davis might cause right away. Cousins gives you a big body that won't get pushed back and can clean up the defensive glass while Davis gets to roam free on defense and control the paint. His defensive gifts cover for any of Cousins' weaknesses in a lot of ways.

Kanter's upside is lower than Cousins's but he's like a lower maintenance, lower upside, but higher floor version of Cousins. He's a powerful player with good size, good rebounding, good touch around the basket, good range, good IQ and low post defense, etc.

He'd be easier to deal with than Cousins and is a smarter dude.

And of course, all that was true about Davis and Cousins forming a perfect match in the front court is also true of Kanter and Davis.

Most importantly, those deals give us outstanding solutions for replacing McGee at Center. We get our low post scorer for Wall to start piling up assists for, and it gives us the flexibility to take a defensive, high IQ hoss like Davis in the draft and really get the most out of him.

When you've got the starting 1, 4, and 5 positions set like that, you can fill in the gaps later and the rest will sort itself out. We'll start winning.

Dwill is a Kevin Love with slightly worse shooting and slight better post offense. They are almost the same size and both shoot the three ball from the PF position. I'd take him in a heart beat because Minny doesn't need him (and are in fact wasting value by having him) and he's going to be a star. Him and Cousins are both instant upgrades over McGee or Booker. Either one of those is fine with me. I haven't had a chance to watch Kanter much this season so I simply have no opinion on that one.

I would also like to see the team lose Singleton or Vesely. Two guys that are a major liability on offense at the same position simply isn't necessary. Young, cheap, good defenders might add value as part of a trade.

Now having said that Snyder just mortgaged the farm for a star.... Ted, your move. :)

FLA vs KENTUCKY. Should be a great game to watch for NBA Prospects. Beal, MKG, Davis, Jones, and Patric Young.

---------- Post added March-10th-2012 at 01:10 PM ----------

I really think Beal would be a great starting 2 guard for this team. He is my pick if we can't land Davis/Barnes/Robinson.

Davis hit a three to take the lead at the half. Looks like they called a pick and pop for Davis at the three line, his hands were up and feet set before the pass. Interesting....

"Anthony is a tremendous shot blocker with great size and length. He can make 3-pointers, dribble the ball and he can get up and down the court faster than some of our guards because of his long, looping strides. He's a different player than Marcus Camby, but he's physically ahead of where Marcus was to start his freshman season."

—Kentucky head coach John Calipari.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Davis_(basketball)

Dwill is a Kevin Love with slightly worse shooting and slight better post offense. They are almost the same size and both shoot the three ball from the PF position. I'd take him in a heart beat because Minny doesn't need him (and are in fact wasting value by having him) and he's going to be a star. Him and Cousins are both instant upgrades over McGee or Booker. Either one of those is fine with me. I haven't had a chance to watch Kanter much this season so I simply have no opinion on that one.

I would also like to see the team lose Singleton or Vesely. Two guys that are a major liability on offense at the same position simply isn't necessary. Young, cheap, good defenders might add value as part of a trade.

Now having said that Snyder just mortgaged the farm for a star.... Ted, your move. :)

You haven't seen much of Kanter because he gets almost no minutes. He's buried beneath Jefferson, Milsap, and Favors. I'm going off his skillset from before the draft.

Unibrow had 15 & 12 & 2 with three assists and a steal on 6 of 13 shooting from the field. Not his usual self, but he's pretty much a machine pumping out those very stats at this point.

Beal's final line was impressive and he played well: 20 points on 8 of 15 shooting, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, a steal, and a block. If MKG goes back to school, he's clearly the best 2 guard in the draft, and the best "pure" 2 guard in the draft whether MKG goes or not.

If we miss out on the bigs and MKG, then Beal is my top choice, ahead of Barnes.

Right now I'm:

1.) Anthony Davis

2.) Michael Kidd Gilchrist

3.) Thomas Robinson

4.) I'm literally squirming as I type this, but Andre Drummond

5.) Jared Sullinger

6.) Brad Beal, might move him ahead of Sully depending on how each play in the tourney.

7.) Harrison Barnes

8.) Quincy Miller

9.) Perry Jones

10.) Tyler Zeller

11.) John Henson

12.) Austin Rivers

13.) Terrence Jones

14.) Jeremy Lamb

15.) Meyers Leonard

16.) Cody Zeller

17.) Evan Fournier

18.) Patric Young

19.) Arnett Moultrie

---------- Post added March-10th-2012 at 05:21 PM ----------

I don't care what the Wizard give up, I very much doubt Otis Smith trades Dwight within his own division

There is also no chance Dwight would sign an extension here. That should kill any potential deal even if both sides were willing to talk.

---------- Post added March-10th-2012 at 05:27 PM ----------

Dwight would be better off staying in Orlando and gutting out playoff runs with them than coming here. That team is at least built to compliment him. They've got shooters to space the floor for him, and in turn, take advantage of the oceans of space that he himself creates for them.

What's he going to do here? Come get doubled and tripled and fouled all night, every night only to watch his teammates miss open shot after open shot from the perimeter? Watch as defenders get into his face instantly as his guards let penetrators blow by them to the rim time after time? Wear himself out chasing the ball all over because no one here can play help defense consistently well?

We're not a logical fit for him, and I think we could actually manage to make him look like he's regressing.

Now if Wall was a few years older and this team was a little more mature, then we could be talking. But not for this season, and certainly not for the summer when he gets to choose his fate.

Has it really been 22 games with Wittman already?

Gonna flip back and forth between this game and the Baylor game on ESPN.

---------- Post added March-10th-2012 at 07:27 PM ----------

Good start from JaVale. He's actually getting to the point where he's tough to stop inside. If he could hit his free throws...

Wall is blowing by Batum. Maybe they're tired?

---------- Post added March-10th-2012 at 07:34 PM ----------

That was a BS charge call on JaVale. That should have been a blocking. It wiped out a really nice jumper in the paint too, that would have been a 5/5 start for JaVale.

Good effort closing out the shooters tonight.

Seraphin just drained a nice 10 footer. The bigs are on a roll.

---------- Post added March-10th-2012 at 07:36 PM ----------

You shouldn't be allowed to throw yourself into an offensive player after he's already left his feet. What are they supposed to do?

---------- Post added March-10th-2012 at 07:41 PM ----------

Seraphin is a better and more creative inside scorer than he's given credit for. I think he's a keeper. You need guys like him coming off the bench.

Przybilla is a *****.

I still don't understand everything that goes into the defensive 3 second rule. It seems awfully subjective sometimes.

---------- Post added March-10th-2012 at 07:46 PM ----------

Crawford is killing us tonight. We've got to figure out how to slow him down or else we'll lose. He's making some tough shots.

---------- Post added March-10th-2012 at 07:46 PM ----------

Deny him the ball I guess.

---------- Post added March-10th-2012 at 07:51 PM ----------

Young is dominating the ball too much. He's getting himself open but he's just not sinking them.

Too content to settle for early shot clock mid range jumpers. Typical lack of rhythm in the offense.

---------- Post added March-10th-2012 at 07:53 PM ----------

Baylor's uniforms are so ugly.

---------- Post added March-10th-2012 at 07:57 PM ----------

That's why Singleton starts over Vesely I suppose.

---------- Post added March-10th-2012 at 07:59 PM ----------

The refs are picking on JaVale. He's clearly frustrated. Let him cool off on the bench for a few minutes and regain his composure. That's not a good edge to play with.

Has Seraphin been told not to come off his man to defend the rim? He just simply doesn't do it to the point where it just seems like its not considered. I know the team is bad at rotating on defense so maybe they'll live with it.