Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Sorry, not putting this on Beal. From what I heard on the Kevin Sheehan podcast, supposedly the plan with the front office was to keep everything the same. To bring everyone back and to resign Bertans. Apparently everything changed when that video of Wall throwing up gang signs in Brooklyn came out. That did not sit well with the front office. And supposedly Wall had gotten several warnings from the league about throwing up gang signs in basketball games after making shots. The video coming out was the last straw for the front office. 

35 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Does the DMV have a **** you attitude? I dunno.

Probably depends heavily on the circles you run in. I know lots of cats that remind me of Wall in DC. Not as many in certain parts of MD and nothing close from VA 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Can someone walk me through the nature of this protected pick.  My basic understanding is that the pick can't be a high pick. How does that work? Theoretically if the Wiz stay bad until 2027, the pick keeps getting deferred until the Rockets will get two 2nd round picks in 2027?  What if the Wiz don't have two 2nd round picks then?

I've looked for an explanation and haven't found one.  The paper version of WP today barely even mentioned that a pick was part of the trade.

Pick protection means that if the pick is higher than or equal to the level of protection, then it does not convey to the other team that year.  So if a pick is lottery protected in 2023, and we pick in the top 14, then we keep the pick that year and we wait until next year to determine whether or not the pick will convey.  Then if it's still lottery protected in 2024 and we end up in the lottery again, then we do it again and again until if finally clears the bars of protection and conveys.

In the case of this pick, the protection diminshes by two draft spots each year until 2027, when if it still hasn't conveyed, then it will just turn into us giving them two second round picks.  So that's 2023: top 14, 2024: top 12, 2025: top 10, 2026: Top 8.

Basically, the protections were put on the pick to keep us from handing them a back-breaking juicy ass franchise-rebuilding draft pick in case the bottom falls out on this Westbrook/Beal experiment.  They've both got player options for the '22-'23 season, but either way, their current contracts will be over by draft time in 2023.   If they don't sign extensions or Westbrook retires, then we're probably going to go back into the gutter by then and be picking at the top of the lottery.  This protects us during those crucial years when we might be rebuilding with top ten picks.

However, if we're still good in 2023 and have to deal Houston a pick in the late teens or 20s, then good for us, we won't really care.

Including this draft pick was a face-saving measure for Houston.  They had to take on the majority of the risk in the trade, and this was a way for them to sell the swap as balanced.  They were highly motivated sellers because Westbrook was public and firm in his trade demands, and apparently he didn't show up for training camp.  They're really desperate to sell Harden on staying in Houston, even more desperate than we are with Beal because at least Beal hasn't asked to be dealt.  So yeah, they had their hand forced.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dan T. said:

As a casual fan, the thing I admire about Beal is that he seemed to genuinely earn his superstar status.  He wasn't all that heralded after being drafted and really let his play do the talking without a lot of hype or self promotion.  It took awhile for the basketball world to recognize his value.  But he earned his status. So if he had a say in the franchise's decision to make such a huge move, he earned that right.

TBH, I think it's the opposite.  Especially when you compare his experience to Wall's.  Pretty much until last year, Beal has typically gotten a little more national recognition and respect than he probably deserved, and Wall's was always far less than he deserved.  That's the power of being a Nike athlete.  Beal is also much more palatable to a general audience than Wall is because he came from a stable and relateable two-parent home and he knows how to code-switch and, for lack of a better term, kind of hide his "blackness" from the public.  Wall is real and alienating.

I don't think Beal's earned the right to play GM for his franchise.  Certainly not the right to orchestrate star player musical chairs and force Wall out.  He's never led us to the playoffs or even a winning record.  He needs to prove that he can do that, and he never had to.  But the more I think about it, the more I suspect that he and Westbrook got together and started doing the math and realizing that they were more compatible with each other personality-wise and that Harden and Wall were more compatible and then they orchestrated this whole thing.

Can't believe Bill Simmons was right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

I wanna say if they are picking that high the move is a failure but with the way the lotto works now I’m not sure if that’s true.

It was that **** you attitude man 

SteveMcqueen explained the lottery protection better than I can but basically that protection makes it that if the trade was a disaster and we end up being a lottery pick in 2023 we won't get additionally screwed by having to give up our lottery pick. If we are a playoff team in 2023 and we have to give away lets say the 18th pick in the draft then essentially the trade worked because we are in the playoffs. 

I also can't believe Bill Simmons was right. Sorry for saying he talks out of his ass but he usually does unless its about the Celtics. 

I dont think Beal is playing GM though. I think Tommy made a choice to run with Beal and wanted to run things by him so that he will be happy and stay. Beal seems like a genuine nice guy but I've been a fan since his Florida days so I might be biased. 

24 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

TBH, I think it's the opposite.  Especially when you compare his experience to Wall's.  Pretty much until last year, Beal has typically gotten a little more national recognition and respect than he probably deserved, and Wall's was always far less than he deserved.  That's the power of being a Nike athlete.  Beal is also much more palatable to a general audience than Wall is because he came from a stable and relateable two-parent home and he knows how to code-switch and, for lack of a better term, kind of hide his "blackness" from the public.  Wall is real and alienating.

I have no idea where you're getting this.....Wall and the Dougie was a huge cultural phenomenon and he even had a song about him doing the dance. Maybe later when he started throwing up gang signs he became unrelatable for the average pasty white fan, but initially no, not at all. He was the #1 pick with a **** ton of hype. 

Beal never had Wall's hype. His rookie season wasn't all that promising, but he turned it on later after he got over the injury bug. Beal is a straight bulldog out on the court and I love it. His battles with Kyle Lowry were great TV.

https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/4/22/8467603/bradley-beal-kyle-lowry-scream-dont-****-with-me-nba-playoffs-raptors-wizards

• Thanks 1

Hopefully the Wizards can figure out a was to get semi-decent defense from the frontline. I'm skeptical and I hate that they used the MLE entirely on a back up center that might play 15 minutes a game. Not sure if there are any pieces to move now cause this team is capped out for the next couple years. 

I was reading the Washington Post's response to the trade and I found it interesting that they were lamenting Westbrook's shooting ability as if by losing Wall we were losing a greater shooter. Wasn't Wall a great penetrator and passer, but an awful shot? It's hard to believe Westbrook is worse than Wall when it comes to scoring/shotmaking. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I was reading the Washington Post's response to the trade and I found it interesting that they were lamenting Westbrook's shooting ability as if by losing Wall we were losing a greater shooter. Wasn't Wall a great penetrator and passer, but an awful shot? It's hard to believe Westbrook is worse than Wall when it comes to scoring/shotmaking. 

Saw a tweet last night that their shooting % were pretty much identical. Westbrook avg more pts, but took wayyy more shots.  I'll try to find it.

Edited by CRobi21
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't think Beal's earned the right to play GM for his franchise.  Certainly not the right to orchestrate star player musical chairs and force Wall out.  He's never led us to the playoffs or even a winning record.  He needs to prove that he can do that, and he never had to.  But the more I think about it, the more I suspect that he and Westbrook got together and started doing the math and realizing that they were more compatible with each other personality-wise and that Harden and Wall were more compatible and then they orchestrated this whole thing.

Where are you getting this?