Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

15 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

It's Gen Z, this is the new normal for fans of that generation. They pick players over cities.

And yes NBA fans are front runners too.

It's always been this way in the NBA.  NBA stars are the most prominent black entertainers in sports.  It's much easier to root for them than the often sleazy, faceless organizations they work for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I loved the Wall standing on the scoring table after hitting the game winner as much as anyone but I don't see how this is a bad move for the Wizards.  If you have an opportunity to trade a PG coming back from that injury, who has appeared to have a less than warm and fuzzy relationship with Beal, who just let you down throwing up gang signs virally over the summer for Russell Westbrook...you do that all day, every day.

Seems to the me the disdain for the move is rooted in emotion of losing a drafted talent vs. what it realistically does for the Wizards.

• Like 1

I’m sorry folks but a point guard who relied on his raw elite athleticism, coming off major leg injuries was not going to cut it here if this team wanted to win games.

Westbrook is the best player this team has had in decades. I’m honestly shocked at this trade. Tommy S got insane value for an injured, likely past his prime player with a bad contract.

• Like 7

As a casual fan, the thing I admire about Beal is that he seemed to genuinely earn his superstar status.  He wasn't all that heralded after being drafted and really let his play do the talking without a lot of hype or self promotion.  It took awhile for the basketball world to recognize his value.  But he earned his status. So if he had a say in the franchise's decision to make such a huge move, he earned that right.

I'll be interested to see the dynamic between him and Westbrook.  I guess that's the big question... will that combination work?  

It's too bad the Wall era ended like this.  So much unfulfilled promise there.

But I'll say this for the trade, again as a casual fan, one who used to follow the Bullets/Wizards much more fervently.  It's moved the needle for me.  I'll be tuning in more than I have in the recent past.

• Like 3

Can someone walk me through the nature of this protected pick.  My basic understanding is that the pick can't be a high pick. How does that work? Theoretically if the Wiz stay bad until 2027, the pick keeps getting deferred until the Rockets will get two 2nd round picks in 2027?  What if the Wiz don't have two 2nd round picks then?

I've looked for an explanation and haven't found one.  The paper version of WP today barely even mentioned that a pick was part of the trade.

Edited by Dan T.

6 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Can someone walk me through the nature of this protected pick.  My basic understanding is that the pick can't be a high pick. How does that work? If the Wiz stay good until 2027, the pick keeps getting deferred until the Rockets will get two 2nd round picks in 2027?  What if the Wiz don't have two 2nd round picks then?

I've looked for an explanation and haven't found one.  The paper version of WP today barely even mentioned that a pick was part of the trade.

It would be the other way.  If the Wiz continue to suck until 2027.  Once they have a good/decent year, the pick would be high (numerically) enough to escape protection and go to Houston.

I assume the two 2nd rounder would be in two different years.

With the heavy protection, I think objectively it's a win for DC on paper.  If Beal snaked his way to force Wall out, that would be disappointing, but is there any evidence of this?

Edited by bearrock
  • Like 2

This is what I found:

One of those protections is being lottery protected. It means that if a first-round pick ends up being a lottery pick (one of the top fourteen picks), the team that traded the pick can keep that pick. However, the pick then rolls over to the next year, and isn't protected.

Is this correct?

All I know is my Chicago family isn't making fun of me and the Wizards. In fact the are mad and jealous, which means it must be decent because normally they are dogging me.

Edited by Florgon79
  • Thanks 1

Doing more digging, this is from an ESPN+ article:

At his best, Westbrook is one of the finest attacking guards in the game. His explosiveness is legendary and enables him to get into the paint and finish at the rim with ease. He ranked third overall in the league last season in points in the paint, trailing only Giannis Antetokounmpo and Zion Williamson by putting up 15 points per game. That's really good.

That's absurd.  He scores in the paint with a 7 footer and the most freakishly explosive power forward to come out in the past 15-20 years.

But here's the problem: Westbrook's career is also defined by his obstinate insistence on taking jumpers, despite the fact that he's just not very good at it. Of the 50 players who have launched at least 2,500 jumpers the past five seasons, Westbrook ranks last in shooting efficiency, logging a putrid effective field goal percentage (eFG) of just 42.5%. That's on 4,814 attempts. Oof.

I knew he had a suspect jumpshot, but I didn't know it was that bad.

I am hoping playing with Beal allows him to be a better at shot selection.  Article goes on to say that back in January he went on a 19 game stretch where his shot selection improved, he was 1st in points in the paint in the league.  That's obviously a small sample size, but if he can get to the paint and the rim and dish to Beal on the perimeter, that could be good.  

49 minutes ago, The Gibber said:

I like John but its the right move to build around Beal. The protections on the pick make this deal a steal for the Wiz. 

I wanna say if they are picking that high the move is a failure but with the way the lotto works now I’m not sure if that’s true.

5 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Something about Wall was just a right fit for the DMV. I can't quantify it, other than to say, he was a DMV guy even though he wasn't. 

It was that **** you attitude man 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The more I think about this trade the more I like it.  At first I was upset about the pick, but they fact that it is protected makes me feel better about it.  I was over Wall for a long time, I appreciate his work in the community, but he was injury prone and commands the ball too much.  Westbrook is a much better player and brings a different type of fire to the team.  I don't like his contract either, but we aren't losing anything financially.  Win for the Wizards.  I think we will now be an above .500 team, but still far from a contender.

35 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Something about Wall was just a right fit for the DMV. I can't quantify it, other than to say, he was a DMV guy even though he wasn't. 

Probably that he never won a damn thing for us.

Can't get more DC Sports than that.

Edited by purbeast
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I wanna say if they are picking that high the move is a failure but with the way the lotto works now I’m not sure if that’s true.

It was that **** you attitude man 

Does the DMV have a **** you attitude? I dunno.

I feel bad, I'm not really proud of the DMV in the ways that other people from other parts of the country are proud of where they're from.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Sad 1